From: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>
To: buildroot@busybox.net
Subject: [Buildroot] Build error: No rule to make target `ubootboard_config'
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 20:30:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:51:42 +0900
S W <sw18@hotmail.co.jp> wrote:

> I am trying to build a Uboot loader for ARM.

"ARM" is a very general core architecture. There are dozens of
companies building processors based on the ARM architecture, producing
hundreds of different processors, used in thousands of different boards.

So "building U-Boot for ARM" is not precise enough, and it's definitely
the thing that you seem to misunderstand.

> If I leave the "U-boot board name" as blank,
> there is an error as "NO U-Boot board name set.
> Check your BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_BOARDNAME setting."

Yes, U-Boot needs to be configured by providing the name of the board
you are targeting. See

> But if I input the U-Boot board name as a name like "ubootboard",
> I encountered another error "No rule to make target
> `ubootboard_config".

Obviously it seems you're misunderstanding a bit what this is all about.
"ubootboard" is not a valid board name. See include/configs/ in U-Boot
sources for the valid board names in U-Boot.

Try "at91sam9263ek" as a board name. U-Boot will compile properly...
but will very likely not work on your hardware, unless it is the
AT91SAM9263-EK board (which is an evaluation kit of the AT91SAM9263
CPU, sold by Atmel).

> How I create the build rule for U-Boot board?

Two choices :

 *) U-Boot is already ported to your hardware. In that case, you only
    need to find what file in include/configs/ in the U-Boot sources
    correspond to the board that you have.

 *) U-Boot is not already ported to your hardware. Then it's a lot more
    work since you'll have to do the porting by yourself.

I repeat my question: on which hardware do you want to run U-Boot ?

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons