On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 04:06:53PM +0800, liubo wrote: > On 10/30/2010 09:39 PM, Hugo Mills wrote: > > This patch introduces a basic form of progress monitoring for balance > > operations, by counting the number of block groups remaining. The > > information is exposed to userspace by an ioctl. > > > > IMO, tracking the information of blocks which are balancing also makes sense. > For example, the block information's blocknr. > It can help us monitor better. I don't see how that will help. The block group IDs (which is all that we get at this level) are effectively arbitrary 64-bit numbers, and are what appear in the kernel logs. How could that information be used to improve monitoring? I'm not ruling out the idea completely -- I just can't see at the moment how it would be used. Hugo. -- === Hugo Mills: hugo@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk === PGP key: 515C238D from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk --- Is a diversity twice as good as a university? ---