From: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
To: Paul Drews <paul.drews@intel.com>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds@gmail.com>,
	Lars Hjemli <hjemli@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: rebase not honoring core.worktree pointing elsewhere
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:13:12 -0500	[thread overview]

Paul Drews wrote:
> Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> Another one: create a .git file with this line and put it in worktree's
>> topdir
>>
>> gitdir: /path/to/real/git.dir
>>
>> See gitrepository-layout.txt.
>
> Ooh!  That would be my favorite, since it's a documented legal usage.

By the way, .git symlinks have been historically supported and are not
likely to break, either.  Maybe gitrepository-layout should grow to
include a section on the repository search.

> Unfortunately, although the rebase scenario works that way a local
> "git clone" doesn't work:
>
> # git clone /abs/path/to/proj
> Cloning into proj...
> fatal: failed to open '/abs/path/to/proj/objects': No such file or directory

enter_repo() never learned .git file support, though I see no reason it should
be hard to add.

Pointers:

 - v1.5.6-rc0~93^2~3 (Add platform-independent .git "symlink",
   2008-02-20)

 - v0.99.9l^2 (daemon.c and path.enter_repo(): revamp path validation,
   2005-12-03)

The precise return value from enter_repo() is currently only used by
"git daemon", to handle directory arguments as in

	git daemon -- /srv/git

so returning a fictional path like

	/abs/path/to/proj/.git

might work ok. :)