* Asking advice for graduate study
@ 2011-01-25 13:02 cheng chen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: cheng chen @ 2011-01-25 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, all!
I am going to further my education in graduate school of Master of Science
degree. I am interested in network, but I am not sure what direction I
should choose and which professional books I should read. Therefore I ask
for help and suggestion from you.
In summary, I have both the fundamental knowledge about network programming
as well as communication theory. Therefore I prefer an area which has the
relationship with both the software and hardware (but with more attention on
software.) By the way, I am especially interested in how the whole network
system works, rather than how two single points communicate.
If you have any suggestion about what I could do next (areas, books, whaever~),
please be kind to tell me. Thank you very much.

--
Cheng(?)

Fedora Project Contributor -- Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Freakrobot

My Page: http://freakrobot.blogbus.com/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Asking advice for graduate study
@ 2011-01-25 13:06 ` Wizard
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Wizard @ 2011-01-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

acm...

?? 2011??1??25?? ????9:02??cheng chen <freakrobot@acm.org> ??????
> Hi, all!
> I am going to further my education in graduate school of Master of Science
> degree. I am interested in network, but I am not sure what direction I
> should choose and which professional books I should read. Therefore I ask
> for help and suggestion from you.
> In summary, I have both the fundamental knowledge about network programming
> as well as communication theory. Therefore I prefer an area which has the
> relationship with both the software and hardware (but with more attention on
> software.) By the way, I am especially interested in how the whole network
> system works, rather than how two single points communicate.
> If you have any suggestion about what I could do next (areas, books, whaever~),
> please be kind to tell me. Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Cheng(?\)
>
> Fedora Project Contributor -- Ambassador
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Freakrobot

Wizard

* Asking advice for graduate study
@ 2011-01-25 18:07 ` Mulyadi Santosa
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=4sxO7uGFGDwxJGkLdCkE9v+ogeHvFGA1D-Yr+@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-01-25 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Cheng...

Ni hao ma? :)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 20:02, cheng chen <freakrobot@acm.org> wrote:

> I am going to further my education in graduate school of Master of Science
> degree. I am interested in network, but I am not sure what direction I
> should choose and which professional books I should read.

You need to be clear here....are you aiming for mastering devices like
Cisco routers? Are you going to be an engineer that deploy WiMax? or
what?

> In summary, I have both the fundamental knowledge about network programming
> as well as communication theory.

or...since you had said above....network protocol programmer in
kernel? ethernet device kernel module programmer?

> By the way, I am especially interested in how the whole network
> system works, rather than how two single points communicate.
> If you have any suggestion about what I could do next (areas, books,
> whaever~), please be kind to tell me. Thank you very much.
maybe I am wrong, but...let me guess, are you in need of a book like this?
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002558

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

@ 2011-01-26  1:51   ` larry
From: larry @ 2011-01-26  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Understanding Linux Network Internals

?? 2011??1??26?? ????1:17??Alvin <qzhang.g@gmail.com>??????

> 2011/1/25 cheng chen <freakrobot@acm.org>
>
> > Hi, all!
> > I am going to further my education in graduate school of Master of
> Science
> > degree. I am interested in network, but I am not sure what direction I
> > should choose and which professional books I should read. Therefore I ask
> > for help and suggestion from you.
> > In summary, I have both the fundamental knowledge about network
> programming
> > as well as communication theory. Therefore I prefer an area which has the
> > relationship with both the software and hardware (but with more attention
> > one
> >
> HW and SW-->Embedded system, and keep going, don't stop
>
> > software.) By the way, I am especially interested in how the whole
> network
> > system works, rather than how two single points communicate.
> > If you have any suggestion about what I could do next (areas, books,
> > whaever~),
> > please be kind to tell me. Thank you very much.
> >
> > --
> > Cheng(?\)
> >
> > Fedora Project Contributor -- Ambassador
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Freakrobot

> ~Alvin

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Asking advice for graduate study
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=4sxO7uGFGDwxJGkLdCkE9v+ogeHvFGA1D-Yr+@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-01-26 17:16 ` Michael Blizek
From: Michael Blizek @ 2011-01-26 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi!

On 21:02 Tue 25 Jan     , cheng chen wrote:
> Hi, all!
> I am going to further my education in graduate school of Master of Science
> degree. I am interested in network, but I am not sure what direction I
> should choose and which professional books I should read. Therefore I ask
> for help and suggestion from you.
> In summary, I have both the fundamental knowledge about network programming
> as well as communication theory. Therefore I prefer an area which has the
> relationship with both the software and hardware (but with more attention on
> software.) By the way, I am especially interested in how the whole network
> system works, rather than how two single points communicate.
> If you have any suggestion about what I could do next (areas, books, whaever~),
> please be kind to tell me. Thank you very much.

If you are looking about some interesting stuff, I can suggest:
http://lartc.org/
manpages of socket api
RFCs
http://www.onion-router.net/Publications/challenges.pdf
http://balance.fsf.org/video/The_GNUnet_Peer-to-Peer_Framework.ogv

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com

* Asking advice for graduate study
@ 2011-01-28  4:34   ` cheng chen
From: cheng chen @ 2011-01-28  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks for you all.

--
Cheng(?)

Fedora Project Contributor -- Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Freakrobot

My Page: http://freakrobot.blogbus.com/
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Asking advice for graduate study
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-02 23:11 ` siqiao chen
From: siqiao chen @ 2011-02-02 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, I am not familiar with this. But I believe "TCP/IP Illustrated" or
"Internetworking with TCP/IP" should be good if you like
detailed explanation of how the code works.