* Official git mirror on github/gitorious?
@ 2011-01-30  0:28 Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 2011-01-30  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

Searching for "openembedded" on both github and gitorious give quite a
few hits:

http://github.com/search?langOverride=&q=openembedded&repo=&start_value=1&type=Repositories
http://gitorious.org/search?q=openembedded

Was there a thought to provide official mirrors on both (or one)
services for the purpose of accounting forks?

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml@gmail.com

* Re: Official git mirror on github/gitorious?
@ 2011-01-30  1:34 ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2011-01-30  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 30/01/2011 00:28, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Searching for "openembedded" on both github and gitorious give quite a
> few hits:
>
> http://github.com/search?langOverride=&q=openembedded&repo=&start_value=1&type=Repositories
> http://gitorious.org/search?q=openembedded
>
> Was there a thought to provide official mirrors on both (or one)
> services for the purpose of accounting forks?

There is an "official" Ångstrom mirror on gitorious.

http://gitorious.org/+angstrom-distribution/angstrom/openembedded

Graeme

* Re: Official git mirror on github/gitorious?
@ 2011-01-30 10:34   ` Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 2011-01-30 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:34:13 +0000
Graeme Gregory <dp@xora.org.uk> wrote:

> On 30/01/2011 00:28, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Searching for "openembedded" on both github and gitorious give
> > quite a few hits:
> >
> > http://github.com/search?langOverride=&q=openembedded&repo=&start_value=1&type=Repositories
> > http://gitorious.org/search?q=openembedded
> >
> > Was there a thought to provide official mirrors on both (or one)
> > services for the purpose of accounting forks?
> >
> There is an "official" Ångstrom mirror on gitorious.
>
> http://gitorious.org/+angstrom-distribution/angstrom/openembedded

Yes, seeing it made me think that it would be nice to fork it via site
means. Is there guarantee of upstream update time for it? Also, even
then it seems like a 2nd-level fork, not forking a pure OE repo
specially designed to keep track of offshots.

--

@ 2011-01-30 12:40     ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2011-01-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sokolovsky; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On 30/01/2011 10:34, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:34:13 +0000
> Graeme Gregory <dp@xora.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 30/01/2011 00:28, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Searching for "openembedded" on both github and gitorious give
>>> quite a few hits:
>>>
>>> http://github.com/search?langOverride=&q=openembedded&repo=&start_value=1&type=Repositories
>>> http://gitorious.org/search?q=openembedded
>>>
>>> Was there a thought to provide official mirrors on both (or one)
>>> services for the purpose of accounting forks?
>>>
>> There is an "official" Ångstrom mirror on gitorious.
>>
>> http://gitorious.org/+angstrom-distribution/angstrom/openembedded
> Yes, seeing it made me think that it would be nice to fork it via site
> means. Is there guarantee of upstream update time for it? Also, even
> then it seems like a 2nd-level fork, not forking a pure OE repo
> specially designed to keep track of offshots.

No we just update it sometime or other. But with git it doesn't really
matter I think.

I think you best option is to approach OE with a plan to run such
projects yourself and get the admins to put a crontab in for you which
does the update nightly or something like that.

Graeme

* Re: Official git mirror on github/gitorious?
@ 2011-01-30 16:12       ` Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 2011-01-30 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graeme Gregory; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hello,

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:40:08 +0000
Graeme Gregory <dp@xora.org.uk> wrote:

[]
> >> There is an "official" Ångstrom mirror on gitorious.
> >>
> >> http://gitorious.org/+angstrom-distribution/angstrom/openembedded
> > Yes, seeing it made me think that it would be nice to fork it via
> > site means. Is there guarantee of upstream update time for it?
> > Also, even then it seems like a 2nd-level fork, not forking a pure
> > OE repo specially designed to keep track of offshots.
> >
> No we just update it sometime or other. But with git it doesn't really
> matter I think.
>
> I think you best option is to approach OE with a plan to run such
> projects yourself and get the admins to put a crontab in for you which
> does the update nightly or something like that.

Well, it's indeed doesn't matter much technically, and not important
for one case. But as I pointed out, there're ~30 or something forks
around. Maybe it would be good visibility, and well, PR, if there were
official mirrors on popular git hosting sites where that number
(dozen or so) could be seen directly.

Otherwise, having asked if it's already there, I better just put up
my little stuff like everybody else did so far, and hopefully proceed
to submit patches/advocate them instead ;-).

--

@ 2011-01-30 16:44         ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2011-01-30 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sokolovsky; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On 30/01/2011 16:12, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:40:08 +0000
> Graeme Gregory <dp@xora.org.uk> wrote:
>
> []

>>> Yes, seeing it made me think that it would be nice to fork it via
>>> site means. Is there guarantee of upstream update time for it?
>>> Also, even then it seems like a 2nd-level fork, not forking a pure
>>> OE repo specially designed to keep track of offshots.
>>>
>> No we just update it sometime or other. But with git it doesn't really
>> matter I think.
>>
>> I think you best option is to approach OE with a plan to run such
>> projects yourself and get the admins to put a crontab in for you which
>> does the update nightly or something like that.
> Well, it's indeed doesn't matter much technically, and not important
> for one case. But as I pointed out, there're ~30 or something forks
> around. Maybe it would be good visibility, and well, PR, if there were
> official mirrors on popular git hosting sites where that number
> (dozen or so) could be seen directly.
>
> Otherwise, having asked if it's already there, I better just put up
> my little stuff like everybody else did so far, and hopefully proceed
> to submit patches/advocate them instead ;-).

Personally I think the idea is probably good. But Id hate to ask the
already overworked OE admins to try and maintain yet another system. As
a board member i prefer the method of co-opting fellow OE users to feel
empowered to run these services themselves with support from us. The
more we can push tasks like this to ordinary developers such as yourself
the better. The more OE can spread the load the better for the whole
community.

Graeme

* Re: Official git mirror on github/gitorious?
@ 2011-01-30 22:09 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2011-01-30 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 01/29/2011 05:28 PM, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Searching for "openembedded" on both github and gitorious give quite a
> few hits:
>
> http://github.com/search?langOverride=&q=openembedded&repo=&start_value=1&type=Repositories
> http://gitorious.org/search?q=openembedded
>
> Was there a thought to provide official mirrors on both (or one)
> services for the purpose of accounting forks?

So, given https://github.com/mirrors I'm just going to shoot them an
email and ask what it takes to get one added.

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation

* Re: Official git mirror on github/gitorious?
@ 2011-01-30 23:21   ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2011-01-30 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 01/30/2011 05:09 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On 01/29/2011 05:28 PM, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Searching for "openembedded" on both github and gitorious give quite a
>> few hits:
>>
>> http://github.com/search?langOverride=&q=openembedded&repo=&start_value=1&type=Repositories
>>
>> http://gitorious.org/search?q=openembedded
>>
>> Was there a thought to provide official mirrors on both (or one)
>> services for the purpose of accounting forks?
>
> So, given https://github.com/mirrors I'm just going to shoot them an
> email and ask what it takes to get one added.

Thanks for looking into this.

Philip