* [ath9k-devel] setting AR_NAV register
@ 2011-05-17 11:16 Andrés García Saavedra
From: Andrés García Saavedra @ 2011-05-17 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Dear all,

I would like to set the NAV value from software in mac80211/ath9k. Is it
possible to change this value, e.g., using the AR_NAV?

Thank you for your help,
Andr?s
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-17 13:29 ` Sucheta ROY
From: Sucheta ROY @ 2011-05-17 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

Has anybody ever tried Message Signal Interrupt (MSI) enabling in any of Atheros PCIe-WiFi card driver under Linux? By default driver supports legacy interrupt.

Regards,
Sucheta

@ 2011-05-17 14:27 ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-05-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

2011/5/17 Andr?s Garc?a Saavedra <andres.garcia.saavedra@gmail.com>:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to set the NAV value from software in mac80211/ath9k. Is it
> possible to change this value, e.g., using the AR_NAV?

AFAIK,
this register is hardware/software Read/Write
bits 0:25 for Current NAV value in micro seconds
good idea is to see the dump value of this register in ath9k debugfs

> Thank you for your help,
> Andr?s

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-17 14:39   ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-05-17 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Sucheta ROY <sucheta.roy@st.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Has anybody ever tried Message Signal Interrupt (MSI) enabling in any of
> Atheros PCIe-WiFi card driver under Linux? By default driver supports legacy
> interrupt.

its supported in Atheros cards, but its not there in ath9k.

> Regards,
>
> Sucheta

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-17 14:41   ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-05-17 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Sucheta ROY <sucheta.roy@st.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Has anybody ever tried Message Signal Interrupt (MSI) enabling in any of
> Atheros PCIe-WiFi card driver under Linux? By default driver supports legacy
> interrupt.

in reg.h
#define AR_PCIE_MSI                             (AR_SREV_9340(ah) ? 0x40d8 : \

(AR_SREV_9300_20_OR_LATER(ah) ? 0x40a4 : 0x4094))
#define AR_PCIE_MSI_ENABLE                       0x00000001

bits 8:4 MSI Interrupt vector

but several things need to be addressed before enabling this interrupt

> Regards,
>
> Sucheta

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-18  1:09     ` Peter Stuge
From: Peter Stuge @ 2011-05-18  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Mohammed Shafi wrote:
> bits 8:4 MSI Interrupt vector

Cool!

> but several things need to be addressed before enabling this interrupt

Which ones?

//Peter

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-18  2:15       ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2011-05-18  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 18 May 2011 09:09, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Mohammed Shafi wrote:
>> bits 8:4 MSI Interrupt vector
>
> Cool!
>

>> but several things need to be addressed before enabling this interrupt
>
> Which ones?

Is MSI really that important just yet? :-) An AR9285 is only going to
be doing up to 150mbit of traffic. The MACs on AR5416 and later have
interrupt mitigation (and its enabled in ath9k.)

I mean, MSI would be cool, but there's other things to try and nut out
first, no? :)

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-18  4:28         ` Sucheta ROY
From: Sucheta ROY @ 2011-05-18  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

Thanks to all for your response. The limitation of my platform is it only supports MSI and does not support legacy interrupt. I am using with AR9285 card and in
reg.h:

#define AR_PCIE_MSI                              0x4094
#define AR_PCIE_MSI_ENABLE                       0x00000001

are defined.

I have also called "pci_enable_msi(pdev)" before request_irq(...) in pci.c file of ath9K.
Wlan0 is detected, when I do cat /proc/interrupts it shows PCIe_MSI for ath9K in the interrupt lists.But the problem is wlan0 cannot scan any WiFi network around. When I use the same AR9285 card on some other platform which supports legacy interrupt scan works OK.

Kindly provide your suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
Sucheta

@ 2011-05-18  4:45       ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-05-18  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Mohammed Shafi wrote:
>> bits 8:4 MSI Interrupt vector
>
> Cool!
>

>> but several things need to be addressed before enabling this interrupt
>
> Which ones?

I have not digged deep into this.

> //Peter

shafi

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-18  9:29         ` Sucheta ROY
From: Sucheta ROY @ 2011-05-18  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I am afraid whether AR9285 chip can generate MSI at all, although it shows MSI capability structure at the time of enumeration. In continuation to my previous mail here goes my observation:
Even if MSI is enabled; MSI (a kind of PCIe Mem WR TLP) interrupt is not generated by AR9285 at the time of iwlist wlan0 scan. I have tested this part through PCIe protocol analyzer. Have anybody worked with some later on cards like AR9340 or AR9380? If yes, can it be checked whether they are actually working with MSI?

Thanks and Regards,
Sucheta

@ 2011-05-18 10:54           ` Senthilkumar Balasubramanian
From: Senthilkumar Balasubramanian @ 2011-05-18 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Sucheta ROY <sucheta.roy@st.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am afraid whether AR9285 chip can generate MSI at all, although it shows MSI capability structure at the time of enumeration. In continuation to my previous mail here goes my observation:
> Even if MSI is enabled; MSI (a kind of PCIe Mem WR TLP) interrupt is not generated by AR9285 at the time of iwlist wlan0 scan. I have tested this part through PCIe protocol analyzer. Have anybody worked with some later on cards like AR9340 or AR9380? If yes, can it be checked whether they are actually working with MSI?

AR9285 doesn't support MSI and to answer your other question, MSI
should work AR9380. However ath9k lacks MSI support (some changes are
require in the driver also as you know)

> Thanks and Regards,
> Sucheta

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-19  0:32             ` Peter Stuge
From: Peter Stuge @ 2011-05-19  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Senthilkumar Balasubramanian wrote:
> AR9285 doesn't support MSI
> MSI should work AR9380.

Awesome! Thanks for clear info!

> However ath9k lacks MSI support (some changes are require

What changes?

//Peter

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-19  4:33               ` Sucheta ROY
From: Sucheta ROY @ 2011-05-19  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I would like to know on what basis it is said AR9380 should work with MSI.I am aware that ath9K Linux driver does not support MSI by default. As you are suggesting that certain changes need to be incorporated in the driver. What all suggestion I received in previous mail I incorporated but could not make AR9285 work, although it exposes MSI capability structure and cat /proc/interrupts show pcie_msi interrupt in the table. So I am afraid whether the same would happen for AR9380!

If anybody is having that card, and can make a quick check by enabling MSI,that will be of great help. I don't have the card at this moment. If it is ensured that the card works with MSI I will plan to buy one.

Thanks and Regards,
Sucheta

@ 2011-05-19  6:01                 ` Alex Hacker
From: Alex Hacker @ 2011-05-19  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I have one currently installed on my PC, but do not have much time to
experimenting with MSI. If you tell me exactly what I should do to enable it
I'll report the results.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:33:29PM +0800, Sucheta ROY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know on what basis it is said AR9380 should work with MSI.I am aware that ath9K Linux driver does not support MSI by default. As you are suggesting that certain changes need to be incorporated in the driver. What all suggestion I received in previous mail I incorporated but could not make AR9285 work, although it exposes MSI capability structure and cat /proc/interrupts show pcie_msi interrupt in the table. So I am afraid whether the same would happen for AR9380!
>
> If anybody is having that card, and can make a quick check by enabling MSI,that will be of great help. I don't have the card at this moment. If it is ensured that the card works with MSI I will plan to buy one.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sucheta

* [ath9k-devel] AR9380 MSI
@ 2011-05-19  8:35                   ` Sucheta ROY
From: Sucheta ROY @ 2011-05-19  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I believe you have AR9380 card installed in your PC?

You have to build your kernel with CONFIG_PCI_MSI option enabled. "CONFIG_PCI_MSI" Depends on: PCI [=y] && ARCH_SUPPORTS_MSI [=y]. Also you have to include
int pci_enable_msi(struct pci_dev *dev)  function in pci.c file of ath9k. This function should be called before the driver calls request_irq().With a successful call the device will be switched from pin-based legacy interrupt mode to MSI mode.  The dev->irq number will be changed to a new number which represents the message signaled interrupt.

Also can you please let me know PCI Vendor Id/Device Id of this card ie AR9380?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
Sucheta
I have one currently installed on my PC, but do not have much time to
experimenting with MSI. If you tell me exactly what I should do to enable it
I'll report the results.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:33:29PM +0800, Sucheta ROY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know on what basis it is said AR9380 should work with MSI.I am aware that ath9K Linux driver does not support MSI by default. As you are suggesting that certain changes need to be incorporated in the driver. What all suggestion I received in previous mail I incorporated but could not make AR9285 work, although it exposes MSI capability structure and cat /proc/interrupts show pcie_msi interrupt in the table. So I am afraid whether the same would happen for AR9380!
>
> If anybody is having that card, and can make a quick check by enabling MSI,that will be of great help. I don't have the card at this moment. If it is ensured that the card works with MSI I will plan to buy one.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sucheta

* [ath9k-devel] AR9285 MSI
@ 2011-05-19  8:41                   ` Sucheta ROY

I have one currently installed on my PC, but do not have much time to
experimenting with MSI. If you tell me exactly what I should do to enable it
I'll report the results.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:33:29PM +0800, Sucheta ROY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know on what basis it is said AR9380 should work with MSI.I am aware that ath9K Linux driver does not support MSI by default. As you are suggesting that certain changes need to be incorporated in the driver. What all suggestion I received in previous mail I incorporated but could not make AR9285 work, although it exposes MSI capability structure and cat /proc/interrupts show pcie_msi interrupt in the table. So I am afraid whether the same would happen for AR9380!
>
> If anybody is having that card, and can make a quick check by enabling MSI,that will be of great help. I don't have the card at this moment. If it is ensured that the card works with MSI I will plan to buy one.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sucheta

* [ath9k-devel] AR9380 MSI
@ 2011-05-19 11:06                     ` Falk-Moritz Schaefer
From: Falk-Moritz Schaefer @ 2011-05-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I have an AR9382 card (SparkLAN WPEA-121N, 168c:3116 ) in an Lenovo R500
laptop. "pci_enable_msi" returns zero, and the card seems to work fine.
There are lspci outputs below. Hope that helps.

lspci output without "pci_enable_msi":
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 0030 (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 3116
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
Queue=0/2 Enable-
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
		Masking: 00000000  Pending: 00000000
	Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
		DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
unlimited, L1 <64us
			ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
		DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
			RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr-
TransPend-
		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1,
Latency L0 <4us, L1 <64us
			ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
		LnkCtl:	ASPM L0s L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk+
			ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
	Capabilities: [300] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k
	Kernel modules: ath9k

Lspci with "pci_enable_msi":
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 0030 (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 3116
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
Queue=0/2 Enable+
		Address: 00000000fee0300c  Data: 41d1
		Masking: 0000000e  Pending: 00000000
	Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
		DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
unlimited, L1 <64us
			ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
		DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
			RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr-
TransPend-
		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1,
Latency L0 <4us, L1 <64us
			ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
		LnkCtl:	ASPM L0s L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk+
			ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
	Capabilities: [300] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k
	Kernel modules: ath9k

* [ath9k-devel] AR9380 MSI
@ 2011-05-19 12:02                       ` Sucheta ROY
From: Sucheta ROY @ 2011-05-19 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your efforts. It's great news for me.
After you enable "pci_enable_msi" have you checked cat /proc/interrupts? What does it show? And do you confirm that the WiFi card works successfully that is able to scan WiFi networks after MSI is enabled?

Also what all modifications you have done in the driver? Which version of Linux kernel your are using?

Thanks and Regards,
Sucheta

> [...]

unlimited, L1 <64us
			ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
		DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
			RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr-
TransPend-
		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1,
Latency L0 <4us, L1 <64us
			ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
		LnkCtl:	ASPM L0s L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk+
			ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
	Capabilities: [300] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

* [ath9k-devel] AR9380 MSI
@ 2011-05-19 12:16                     ` Alex Hacker
From: Alex Hacker @ 2011-05-19 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 04:35:59PM +0800, Sucheta ROY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe you have AR9380 card installed in your PC?
>
> You have to build your kernel with CONFIG_PCI_MSI option enabled. "CONFIG_PCI_MSI" Depends on: PCI [=y] && ARCH_SUPPORTS_MSI [=y]. Also you have to include
> int pci_enable_msi(struct pci_dev *dev)  function in pci.c file of ath9k. This function should be called before the driver calls request_irq().With a successful call the device will be switched from pin-based legacy interrupt mode to MSI mode.  The dev->irq number will be changed to a new number which represents the message signaled interrupt.
>
> Also can you please let me know PCI Vendor Id/Device Id of this card ie AR9380?
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.
>
> Regards,
> Sucheta

The results I got below. If I do something wrong advise me what I should do.

--- pci.c.old	2011-05-19 17:59:59.000000000 +0600
+++ pci.c	2011-05-19 18:00:14.000000000 +0600
@@ -221,6 +221,9 @@
 	/* Will be cleared in ath9k_start() */
 	sc->sc_flags |= SC_OP_INVALID;

+printk("pci_enable_msi=%d.\n",pci_enable_msi(pdev));
+printk("pdev->irq=%d.\n",pdev->irq);
+
 	ret = request_irq(pdev->irq, ath_isr, IRQF_SHARED, "ath9k", sc);
 	if (ret) {

# cat /proc/interrupts
 		dev_err(&pdev->dev, "request_irq failed\n");
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:        393       2628   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:      35884     676360   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  4:         45     262178   IO-APIC-edge      serial
  8:          1          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
  9:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 14:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      ata_piix
 15:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      ata_piix
 16:      30197  110785854   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb5
 18:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4
 19:     173216   10744489   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ata_piix, uhci_hcd:usb3
 20:  191379417        133   IO-APIC-fasteoi   eth0
 23:     776135   27633305   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2
 42:          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      ath9k
NMI:          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:  527052638  535023710   Local timer interrupts
SPU:          0          0   Spurious interrupts
PMI:          0          0   Performance monitoring interrupts
IWI:          0          0   IRQ work interrupts
RES:    3026801    3065734   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:      14585      15117   Function call interrupts
TLB:      78368     128713   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
THR:          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
MCE:          0          0   Machine check exceptions
MCP:       2981       2981   Machine check polls
ERR:          1
MIS:          0

# lspci -vvn
02:00.0 Class 0280: 168c:0030 (rev 01)
	Subsystem: 168c:3112
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/2 Enable+
		Address: 00000000fee0300c  Data: 4179
	Capabilities: [70] #10 [0002]

# modprobe ath9k
# iw dev wlan0 set freq 5240
# iw dev wlan0 set monitor none
# ifconfig wlan0 up
# dmesg

May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath9k 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath9k 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath9k 0000:02:00.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: pci_enable_msi=0.
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: pdev->irq=42.
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x0
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath: EEPROM indicates default country code should be used
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x3a
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath: Country alpha2 being used: US
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ath: Regpair used: 0x3a
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ieee80211 phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'ath9k_rate_control'
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy1::radio
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy1::assoc
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy1::tx
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: Registered led device: ath9k-phy1::rx
May 19 17:51:00 hacker kernel: ieee80211 phy1: Atheros AR9300 Rev:3 mem=0xf8640000, irq=42
May 19 17:53:59 hacker kernel: do_IRQ: 0.120 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
May 19 17:53:59 hacker kernel: do_IRQ: 1.120 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
May 19 17:53:59 hacker kernel: do_IRQ: 1.120 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
May 19 17:54:06 hacker kernel: device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode

Does not work.

* [ath9k-devel] AR9380 MSI
@ 2011-05-19 12:32                         ` Falk-Moritz Schaefer
From: Falk-Moritz Schaefer @ 2011-05-19 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Sorry, seems like Alex is right. As you suspected scanning does not work and
dmesg shows "No irq handler for vector (irq -1)" messages.

* [ath9k-devel] AR9380 MSI
@ 2011-05-20  9:30                       ` Sucheta ROY
From: Sucheta ROY @ 2011-05-20  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

Whatever you have done looks OK to me. Can you please let me know:
1.  #define AR_PCIE_MSI and #define AR_PCIE_MSI_ENABLE part in reg.h file.
2.  lspci -xxx capture.

Also from PCI Vendor ID/Device Id, I see you have AR9300 in your PC instead of AR9380.

Regards,
Sucheta

@ 2011-05-20 10:15                         ` Alex Hacker
From: Alex Hacker @ 2011-05-20 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 05:30:27PM +0800, Sucheta ROY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whatever you have done looks OK to me. Can you please let me know:
> 1.  #define AR_PCIE_MSI and #define AR_PCIE_MSI_ENABLE part in reg.h file.
#define AR_PCIE_MSI        (AR_SREV_9300_20_OR_LATER(ah) ? 0x40a4 : 0x4094)
#define AR_PCIE_MSI_ENABLE 0x00000001

The kernel version is 2.6.38.4.

> 2.  lspci -xxx capture.
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor (rev 01)
00: 8c 16 30 00 03 04 10 00 01 00 80 02 08 00 00 00
10: 04 00 ae fe 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 8c 16 12 31
30: 00 00 ad fe 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0a 01 00 00
40: 01 50 c3 5b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
50: 05 70 85 01 0c 30 e0 fe 00 00 00 00 79 41 00 00
60: 0f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70: 10 00 02 00 00 87 28 00 10 20 09 00 11 5c 03 00
80: 40 00 11 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
90: 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
b0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

> Also from PCI Vendor ID/Device Id, I see you have AR9300 in your PC instead of AR9380.
In my imagination it the same. Actually AR9380 Rev 2.2 is the first
commercially available MIMO 3x3 chip. Or I'm be quite wrong?

By the way, after loading the modified driver I reverse changes and install
original driver module, but it does not work with same error.  MSI in PCI
is still enabled and I should to reboot my PC to have it back again.

> Regards,
> Sucheta
With best regards to you too,
Alex.

* [ath9k-devel] setting AR_NAV register
@ 2011-08-09 12:37   ` Manuel Sáez
From: Manuel Sáez @ 2011-08-09 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

El d?a 17 de mayo de 2011 16:27, Mohammed Shafi
<shafi.wireless@gmail.com> escribi?:
> 2011/5/17 Andr?s Garc?a Saavedra <andres.garcia.saavedra@gmail.com>:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to set the NAV value from software in mac80211/ath9k. Is it
>> possible to change this value, e.g., using the AR_NAV?
>
> AFAIK,
> this register is hardware/software Read/Write
> bits 0:25 for Current NAV value in micro seconds
> good idea is to see the dump value of this register in ath9k debugfs

I have just test this and works quite fine. In case this helps someone:

REG_WRITE(ah, AR_NAV, TU_TO_USEC(value_tu));

Afterwards the hardware start decrementing the value until it reaches
0. During this time it stops the queues.

Thank you!