* Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-19  5:04 Linus Torvalds
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2011-05-19  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

So it's delayed a few days, and I really was struggling with the
decision of whether I wanted to cut a final release at all: it could
easily have made more sense to just do an -rc8. However, since I'm
going to be at LinuxCon Japan in two weeks, the choice for me ended up
whether I should just release, or drag it out *three* more weeks, or
have some really messy merge window with a break in between.

None of those choices really looked all that great.  There were
certainly more code changes since -rc7 than I really was all that
happy with, and some outstanding discussion. Doing another -rc
wouldn't necessarily have been a bad idea, but then I just decided
that if I held off making the release, next week my timing choices
would have been even worse.

So there it is. The one thing that pushed me over the edge is that
this release window has been fairly "easy". -rc2 was calm, -rc3 was
_really_ calm, and -rc7 was tiny. And while this has more commits than
-rc7 had, I didn't feel like that changed the overall picture much: we
really did have much less churn after the merge window closed than we
usually do. Which actually makes me pretty happy about the state of
2.6.39.

(Just to put that "calm after the merge window" in quantitative
numbers: doing some git statistics, we have fewer commits after -rc1
than any of the last ten releases).

As to the merge window for 2.6.40 (which is obviously open now):
because of the delay, the normal 14 days would be with the last two
days when I'm already in Japan. Which is certainly not unthinkable
(I'll have my laptop and access to wifi, and could do some final
tweaks that way even if I wouldn't want to do a bigger portion of a
merge window while traveling). But I do want to warn that if I get the
feeling that I've merged "enough", I might just make it easier for
myself and cut it two days short and release just before I leave on
Memorial day (which for the non-US based of you is May 30th this
year).

Having a slightly shorter (and actually smaller, not just more
hurried) merge window and release cycle for 2.6.40 might not be a
horrible fate. Of course, I just know that you're all actively trying
to sabotage that dream of mine.

But I can still dream, can't I?

                           Linus

---
Alex Deucher (4):
      drm/radeon/kms: fix cayman acceleration
      drm/radeon/kms: fix tiling reg on fusion
      drm/radeon/kms: fix extended lvds info parsing
      drm/radeon/kms: add some evergreen/ni safe regs

Alexander Stein (2):
      Input: ads7846 - make transfer buffers DMA safe
      Input: ads7846 - remove unused variable from struct ads7845_ser_req

Alexandre Bounine (1):
      rapidio: fix default routing initialization

Andi Kleen (2):
      mm: add alloc_pages_exact_nid()
      memcg: allocate memory cgroup structures in local nodes

Andy Adamson (2):
      NFSv41: Resend on NFS4ERR_RETRY_UNCACHED_REP
      NFSv4.1: remove pnfs_layout_hdr from pnfs_destroy_all_layouts tmp_list

Andy Lutomirski (2):
      drm/i915: Revert i915.semaphore=1 default from i915 merge
      drm/i915: Revert i915.semaphore=1 default from 47ae63e0

Anton Blanchard (1):
      ehea: Fix memory hotplug oops

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (2):
      perf tools: Honour the cpu list parameter when also monitoring a
thread list
      perf evlist: Fix per thread mmap setup

Arnd Bergmann (1):
      ARM: 6892/1: handle ptrace requests to change PC during
interrupted system calls

Avinash H.M (1):
      OMAP3: set the core dpll clk rate in its set_rate function

Axel Lin (2):
      mfd: Fix asic3 build error
      drivers/leds/leds-lm3530.c: add MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE

Ben Dooks (1):
      drivers/rtc/rtc-s3c.c: fixup wake support for rtc

Ben Hutchings (3):
      ipheth: Properly distinguish length and alignment in URBs and skbs
      sfc: Always map MCDI shared memory as uncacheable
      sfc: Fix oops in register dump after mapping change

Borislav Petkov (2):
      Revert "x86, AMD: Fix APIC timer erratum 400 affecting K8
Rev.A-E processors"
      x86, AMD: Fix ARAT feature setting again

Bruno Prémont (1):
      Further fbcon sanity checking

Catalin Marinas (2):
      MIPS: Rename .data..mostly and properly handle it in linker script
      ARM: 6870/1: The mandatory barrier rmb() must be a dsb() in for
device accesses

Chris Ball (1):
      Revert "mmc: fix a race between card-detect rescan and
clock-gate work instances"

Chris Wilson (1):
      drm: Take lock around probes for drm_fb_helper_hotplug_event

Christian Borntraeger (1):
      [S390] disassembler: handle b280/spp instruction

Cliff Wickman (1):
      x86: Fix UV BAU for non-consecutive nasids

Dan Rosenberg (1):
      dccp: handle invalid feature options length

Dan Williams (1):
      net/usb: mark LG VL600 LTE modem ethernet interface as WWAN

Daniel J Blueman (1):
      Prevent oopsing in posix_acl_valid()

Dave Airlie (2):
      drm/radeon: fix cayman struct accessors.
      drm/radeon/nouveau: fix build regression on alpha due to Xen changes.

Dave Chinner (5):
      xfs: ensure reclaim cursor is reset correctly at end of AG
      xfs: exit AIL push work correctly when AIL is empty
      xfs: always push the AIL to the target
      xfs: make AIL target updates and compares 32bit safe.
      xfs: fix race condition in AIL push trigger

David Daney (4):
      MIPS: Mask jump target in ftrace_dyn_arch_init_insns().
      MIPS: Octeon: Cleanup Kconfig IRQ_CPU* symbols.
      MIPS: Octeon: Guard the Kconfig body with CPU_CAVIUM_OCTEON
      MIPS: Invalidate old TLB mappings when updating huge page PTEs.

David Rientjes (1):
      slub: Revert "[PARISC] slub: fix panic with DISCONTIGMEM"

Eric Dumazet (4):
      net: ip_expire() must revalidate route
      netfilter: fix ebtables compat support
      vlan: fix GVRP at dismantle time
      net: dev_close() should check IFF_UP

Eric Paris (1):
      SELinux: delete debugging printks from filename_trans rule processing

Fernando Luis Vazquez Cao (2):
      netfilter: IPv6: initialize TOS field in REJECT target module
      netfilter: IPv6: fix DSCP mangle code

Florian Fainelli (1):
      MIPS: AR7: Fix GPIO register size for Titan variant.

Florian Mickler (1):
      vga_switcheroo: don't toggle-switch devices

Florian Westphal (1):
      netfilter: ebtables: only call xt_compat_add_offset once per rule

Geert Uytterhoeven (3):
      zorro8390: Fix regression caused during net_device_ops conversion
      hydra: Fix regression caused during net_device_ops conversion
      ne-h8300: Fix regression caused during net_device_ops conversion

Grant Likely (1):
      drivercore: revert addition of of_match to struct device

Hans Schillstrom (3):
      IPVS: Change of socket usage to enable name space exit.
      IPVS: init and cleanup restructuring
      IPVS: fix netns if reading ip_vs_* procfs entries

Hans Verkuil (1):
      [media] v4l2-subdev: fix broken subdev control enumeration

Harry Wei (1):
      MAINTAINERS: fix sorting

Heiko Carstens (1):
      [S390] sclp/memory hotplug: fix initial usecount of increments

Henry C Chang (3):
      ceph: print debug message before put mds session
      ceph: fix list_add in ceph_put_snap_realm
      ceph: do not use i_wrbuffer_ref as refcount for Fb cap

Hugh Dickins (4):
      tmpfs: fix race between umount and writepage
      tmpfs: fix race between umount and swapoff
      tmpfs: fix spurious ENOSPC when racing with unswap
      tmpfs: fix race between swapoff and writepage

Ingo Molnar (1):
      vsprintf: Turn kptr_restrict off by default

Jack Steiner (1):
      x86, UV: Fix NMI handler for UV platforms

Jeff Layton (2):
      cifs: add fallback in is_path_accessible for old servers
      cifs: fix cifsConvertToUCS() for the mapchars case

Jens Axboe (1):
      scsi: remove performance regression due to async queue run

Jiri Olsa (1):
      kprobes, x86: Disable irqs during optimized callback

Joel Becker (2):
      configfs: Don't try to d_delete() negative dentries.
      configfs: Fix race between configfs_readdir() and configfs_d_iput()

John Stultz (9):
      clocksource: Install completely before selecting
      rtc: ds1286: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      rtc: m41t80: Initialize clientdata before registering device
      rtc: max8925: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      rtc: max8998: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      rtc: msm6242: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      rtc: pcap: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      rtc: rp5c01: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      alpha: convert to clocksource_register_hz

Jonas Gorski (1):
      MIPS: bcm63xx: Fix header_crc comment in bcm963xx_tag.h

Juergen Kilb (1):
      mfd: Fixed gpio polarity of omap-usb gpio USB-phy reset

Julia Lawall (1):
      x86, mce, AMD: Fix leaving freed data in a list

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki (1):
      memcg: fix zone congestion

Kleber Sacilotto de Souza (1):
      ehea: fix wrongly reported speed and port

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk (1):
      Revert "xen/mmu: Add workaround "x86-64, mm: Put early page table high""

Kurt Van Dijck (1):
      can: fix SJA1000 dlc for RTR packets

Lars-Peter Clausen (5):
      ASoC: JZ4740: Fix i2s shutdown
      ASoC: SSM2602: Properly annotate i2c probe and remove functions
      ASoC: SSM2602: Fix 'Mic Boost2' control
      ASoC: SSM2602: Fix reg_cache_size
      MIPS: JZ4740: Set one-shot feature flag for the clockevent

Laurent Pinchart (2):
      [media] v4l: Release module if subdev registration fails
      omap: iommu: Return IRQ_HANDLED in fault handler when no fault occured

Lawrence Rust (1):
      [media] Fix cx88 remote control input

Lesly A M (1):
      mfd: Fix for the TWL4030 PM sleep/wakeup sequence

Li Zefan (3):
      fs: remove FS_COW_FL
      Btrfs: fix FS_IOC_GETFLAGS ioctl
      Btrfs: fix FS_IOC_SETFLAGS ioctl

Linus Torvalds (7):
      Revert "Bluetooth: fix shutdown on SCO sockets"
      fbcon: add lifetime refcount to opened frame buffers
      fbmem: make read/write/ioctl use the frame buffer at open time
      Revert "drm/i915: Only enable the plane after setting the fb
base (pre-ILK)"
      vfs: micro-optimize acl_permission_check()
      fbmem: fix remove_conflicting_framebuffers races
      Linux 2.6.39

Luciano Coelho (1):
      mac80211: don't start the dynamic ps timer if not associated

M. Mohan Kumar (1):
      net/9p: Handle get_user_pages_fast return properly

Manuel Lauss (1):
      MIPS: Alchemy: fix xxs1500 build error

Marcus Meissner (1):
      ocfs2: Initialize data_ac (might be used uninitialized)

Marek Belisko (1):
      ASoC: UDA134x: Remove POWER_OFF_ON_STANDBY define.

Mark Brown (1):
      ASoC: Don't crash on PM operations

Martin Schwidefsky (2):
      [S390] oprofile: fix min/max interval query checks
      [S390] fix alloc_pgste check in init_new_context

Matvejchikov Ilya (1):
      NET: slip, fix ldisc->open retval

Mel Gorman (1):
      mm: tracing: add missing GFP flags to tracing

Michael Cree (1):
      alpha: Wire up syscalls new to 2.6.39

Michael Holzheu (2):
      [S390] kernel: Initialize register 14 when starting new CPU
      [S390] replace diag10() with diag10_range() function

Michał Mirosław (1):
      net: Change netdev_fix_features messages loglevel

Miklos Szeredi (1):
      fuse: fix oops in revalidate when called with NULL nameidata

Milton Miller (1):
      of: fix race when matching drivers

Minchan Kim (1):
      mm: check PageUnevictable in lru_deactivate_fn()

Ming Lei (1):
      usbnet: runtime pm: fix out of memory

Mohammed Shafi Shajakhan (1):
      ath9k: Fix a warning due to a queued work during S3 state

Nicolas Pitre (3):
      ARM: zImage: make sure the stack is 64-bit aligned
      ARM: zImage: make sure not to relocate on top of the relocation code
      ARM: zImage: the page table memory must be considered before relocation

Oliver Hartkopp (1):
      slcan: fix ldisc->open retval

Pablo Neira Ayuso (2):
      netfilter: ctnetlink: fix timestamp support for new conntracks
      netfilter: revert a2361c8735e07322023aedc36e4938b35af31eb0

Paul Fox (1):
      libertas: fix cmdpendingq locking

Pedro Scarapicchia Junior (1):
      net/9p/protocol.c: Fix a memory leak

Rafael J. Wysocki (3):
      PM: Fix warning in pm_restrict_gfp_mask() during SNAPSHOT_S2RAM ioctl
      PM / Hibernate: Make snapshot_release() restore GFP mask
      PM / Hibernate: Fix ioctl SNAPSHOT_S2RAM

Ralf Baechle (21):
      MIPS: c-r4k: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: tlbex: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: IP22: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: IP22: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: Malta: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: Malta: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: SNI: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: Jazz: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
      MIPS: Loongson: Fix GCC 2.6.0 build error.
      MIPS: MSP: Fix build error
      MIPS: IP27: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
      MIPS: IP27: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
      MIPS: Document former use of timerfd(2) syscall number.
      MIPS: Alchemy: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
      MIPS: Fix calc_vmlinuz_load_addr build warnings.
      MIPS: Audit: Fix success success argument pass to audit_syscall_exit
      MIPS: JZ4740: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
      MIPS: JZ4740: Export symbols to the watchdog driver module
      MIPS: RB532: Fix iomap resource size miscalculation.
      MIPS: Fix duplicate invocation of notify_die.
      MIPS: Kludge IP27 build for 2.6.39.

Randy Dunlap (2):
      mm: fix kernel-doc warning in page_alloc.c
      procfs: add stub for proc_mkdir_mode()

Richard Weinberger (1):
      um: fix abort

Roland Dreier (1):
      vmxnet3: Consistently disable irqs when taking adapter->cmd_lock

Russell King (2):
      ARM: RiscPC: etherh: fix section mismatches
      ARM: RiscPC: acornfb: fix section mismatches

Ryusuke Konishi (1):
      nilfs2: fix infinite loop in nilfs_palloc_freev function

Sage Weil (1):
      rbd: fix leak of ops struct

Sam Ravnborg (2):
      sparc32: fix section mismatch warnings in apc, pmc and time_32
      sparc32: fix sparcstation 5 boot

Sedat Dilek (1):
      x86/mm: Fix section mismatch derived from native_pagetable_reserve()

Serge E. Hallyn (1):
      Cache user_ns in struct cred

Sergio Aguirre (1):
      [media] V4L: soc-camera: regression fix: calculate .sizeimage in
soc_camera.c

Shaohua Li (1):
      block: don't delay blk_run_queue_async

Somnath Kotur (1):
      be2net: Fixed bugs related to PVID.

Stanislaw Gruszka (1):
      iwlegacy: fix IBSS mode crashes

Stefan Haberland (1):
      [S390] dasd: prevent IO error during reserve/release loop

Stefano Stabellini (1):
      x86,xen: introduce x86_init.mapping.pagetable_reserve

Steffen Klassert (2):
      xfrm: Assign the inner mode output function to the dst entry
      xfrm: Don't allow esn with disabled anti replay detection

Steinar H. Gunderson (1):
      ipv6: restore correct ECN handling on TCP xmit

Stephen Hemminger (2):
      bridge: fix forwarding of IPv6
      bridge: fix forwarding of IPv6

Stephen Warren (1):
      ASoC: WM8903: Fix Digital Capture Volume range

Sunil Mushran (5):
      ocfs2/dlm: Use negotiated o2dlm protocol version
      ocfs2/cluster: Increase the live threshold for global heartbeat
      ocfs2/cluster: Heartbeat mismatch message improved
      ocfs2: Skip mount recovery for hard-ro mounts
      ocfs2/dlm: Target node death during resource migration leads to
thread spin

Tejun Heo (5):
      block: unexport DISK_EVENT_MEDIA_CHANGE for legacy/fringe drivers
      cdrom: always check_disk_change() on open
      block: rescan partitions on invalidated devices on -ENOMEDIA too
      Revert "libata: ahci_start_engine compliant to AHCI spec"
      libata: fix oops when LPM is used with PMP

Thomas Gleixner (1):
      tick: Clear broadcast active bit when switching to oneshot

Thomas Jarosch (1):
      vmxnet3: Fix inconsistent LRO state after initialization

Tkhai Kirill (1):
      sparc32: Fixed unaligned memory copying in function
__csum_partial_copy_sparc_generic

Tomoya (1):
      pch_gbe: support ML7223 IOH

Tony Lindgren (1):
      ARM: zImage: Fix bad SP address after relocating kernel

Toshiharu Okada (2):
      PCH_GbE : Fixed the issue of collision detection
      PCH_GbE : Fixed the issue of checksum judgment

Tristan Ye (1):
      ocfs2: skip existing hole when removing the last extent_rec in
punching-hole codes.

Trond Myklebust (1):
      NFSv4.1: Ensure that layoutget uses the correct gfp modes

Uwe Kleine-König (1):
      rtc: mc13xxx: Don't call rtc_device_register while holding lock

Vitalii Demianets (1):
      bonding,llc: Fix structure sizeof incompatibility for some PDUs

Vivek Goyal (1):
      blk-throttle: Use task_subsys_state() to determine a task's blkio_cgroup

Will Deacon (1):
      ARM: 6890/1: memmap: only free allocated memmap entries when
using SPARSEMEM

Wolfram Sang (4):
      rtc: mxc: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      rtc: davinci: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      rtc: ep93xx: Initialize drvdata before registering device
      i2c: pnx: Fix crash due to wrong init of timer->data

Wu Zhangjin (1):
      MIPS: Hibernation: Fixes for PAGE_SIZE >= 64kb

Yehuda Sadeh (1):
      rbd: fix split bio handling

Yinghai Lu (2):
      mm: use alloc_bootmem_node_nopanic() on really needed path
      PCI: Clear bridge resource flags if requested size is 0

Yoichi Yuasa (1):
      MIPS: MSP71xx: Fix typo in msp_per_irq_controller

Youquan Song (1):
      x86, apic: Fix spurious error interrupts triggering on all non-boot APs

liubo (1):
      Btrfs: fix easily get into ENOSPC in mixed case

stephen hemminger (1):
      tcp_cubic: limit delayed_ack ratio to prevent divide error

xingchao (1):
      ASoC: sst_platform: add hw_free callback to fix resource leak

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-19  5:32 ` Stephen Rothwell
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2011-05-19  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Linus,

On Wed, 18 May 2011 22:04:53 -0700 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> As to the merge window for 2.6.40 (which is obviously open now):

If linux-next is anything to go by, 2.6.40 should be our smallest
release.  See http://neuling.org/linux-next-size.html (you can zoom by
slecting a horizontal section and zoom out by double clicking).

Note, though, that the rate of including commits accelerated over the last
week :-).
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 490 bytes --]

* Re: Linux 2.6.39 -- *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
@ 2011-05-19 15:26 ` Mark Lord
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Lord @ 2011-05-19 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just got weird stuff in the syslog this morning from rc7-git12:

[43190.824700] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.827426] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.827506] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.827568] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.828685] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.830498] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.830603] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.831055] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.832580] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
[43190.832788] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer

[    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.39-rc7-git12-ml (root@atom) (gcc version 4.4.3
(Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #12 SMP Wed May 18 15:54:07 EDT 2011

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-19 15:44 ` Mark Lord
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Lord @ 2011-05-19 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's some more funny business that was new after rc7-git12:

warning: (AX88796_93CX6 && RTL8180 && RTL8187 && ADM8211 && RT2400PCI &&
RT2500PCI && RT61PCI && RT2800PCI && R8187SE) selects EEPROM_93CX6 which has
unmet direct dependencies (MISC_DEVICES)
warning: (ACPI_APEI) selects PSTORE which has unmet direct dependencies
(MISC_FILESYSTEMS)

The exact same .config didn't do that with rc7-git12,
but does do it with 2.6.39 final.

Odd thing is, if I select both MISC_DEVICES and MISC_FILESYSTEMS,
but do NOT select anything from under either of those,
the warnings go away.

Which likely means the warnings are totally bogus.

Cheers

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-19 15:47   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2011-05-19 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 May 2011 11:44:37 -0400 Mark Lord wrote:

> Here's some more funny business that was new after rc7-git12:
>
> warning: (AX88796_93CX6 && RTL8180 && RTL8187 && ADM8211 && RT2400PCI &&
> RT2500PCI && RT61PCI && RT2800PCI && R8187SE) selects EEPROM_93CX6 which has
> unmet direct dependencies (MISC_DEVICES)
> warning: (ACPI_APEI) selects PSTORE which has unmet direct dependencies
> (MISC_FILESYSTEMS)
>
> The exact same .config didn't do that with rc7-git12,
> but does do it with 2.6.39 final.

I've seen those kconfig warnings plenty of times, before 2.6.39.

Tony Luck has posted a patch for the ACPI_APEI/PSTORE warning (yes, select
MISC_FILESYSTEMS).

> Odd thing is, if I select both MISC_DEVICES and MISC_FILESYSTEMS,
> but do NOT select anything from under either of those,
> the warnings go away.
>
> Which likely means the warnings are totally bogus.

It's just the nature of the tree-structured kconfig hierarchy.

---
~Randy

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-19 16:16   ` Catalin Marinas
From: Catalin Marinas @ 2011-05-19 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 May 2011 16:44, Mark Lord <kernel@teksavvy.com> wrote:
> Here's some more funny business that was new after rc7-git12:
>
> warning: (AX88796_93CX6 && RTL8180 && RTL8187 && ADM8211 && RT2400PCI &&
> RT2500PCI && RT61PCI && RT2800PCI && R8187SE) selects EEPROM_93CX6 which has
> unmet direct dependencies (MISC_DEVICES)
> warning: (ACPI_APEI) selects PSTORE which has unmet direct dependencies
> (MISC_FILESYSTEMS)
>
> The exact same .config didn't do that with rc7-git12,
> but does do it with 2.6.39 final.
>
> Odd thing is, if I select both MISC_DEVICES and MISC_FILESYSTEMS,
> but do NOT select anything from under either of those,
> the warnings go away.
>
> Which likely means the warnings are totally bogus.

The problem is:

AX88796_93CX6 selects EEPROM_93CX6
EEPROM_93CX6 depends on MISC_DEVICES (as part of the EEPROM menu which
is only included if MISC_DEVICES)

By enabling MISC_DEVICES, you allow AX88796_93CX6 to select
EEPROM_93CX6 without any warning as it has the dependencies met.

The issue here is that EEPROM_93CX6 doesn't really depend on any
MISC_DEVICES infrastructure. That's just a directory for various
drivers and MISC_DEVICES only has a visibility role. There was a
proposal last year for kbuild to differentiate between dependency and
visibility but I don't know what happened to it.

--
Catalin

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-19 16:23     ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2011-05-19 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 May 2011 17:16:32 +0100 Catalin Marinas wrote:

> On 19 May 2011 16:44, Mark Lord <kernel@teksavvy.com> wrote:
> > Here's some more funny business that was new after rc7-git12:
> >
> > warning: (AX88796_93CX6 && RTL8180 && RTL8187 && ADM8211 && RT2400PCI &&
> > RT2500PCI && RT61PCI && RT2800PCI && R8187SE) selects EEPROM_93CX6 which has
> > unmet direct dependencies (MISC_DEVICES)
> > warning: (ACPI_APEI) selects PSTORE which has unmet direct dependencies
> > (MISC_FILESYSTEMS)
> >
> > The exact same .config didn't do that with rc7-git12,
> > but does do it with 2.6.39 final.
> >
> > Odd thing is, if I select both MISC_DEVICES and MISC_FILESYSTEMS,
> > but do NOT select anything from under either of those,
> > the warnings go away.
> >
> > Which likely means the warnings are totally bogus.
>
> The problem is:
>
> AX88796_93CX6 selects EEPROM_93CX6
> EEPROM_93CX6 depends on MISC_DEVICES (as part of the EEPROM menu which
> is only included if MISC_DEVICES)
>
> By enabling MISC_DEVICES, you allow AX88796_93CX6 to select
> EEPROM_93CX6 without any warning as it has the dependencies met.
>
> The issue here is that EEPROM_93CX6 doesn't really depend on any
> MISC_DEVICES infrastructure. That's just a directory for various
> drivers and MISC_DEVICES only has a visibility role. There was a
> proposal last year for kbuild to differentiate between dependency and
> visibility but I don't know what happened to it.

fwiw, there is a VISIBLE attribute now.  It defaults to yes/on.

---
~Randy

* Re: Linux 2.6.39 -- *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
@ 2011-05-20 22:00   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2011-05-20 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Mark Lord <kernel@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> Just got weird stuff in the syslog this morning from rc7-git12:
>
> [43190.824700] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.827426] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.827506] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.827568] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.828685] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.830498] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.830603] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.831055] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.832580] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
> [43190.832788] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer

Quoting from an earlier mail about this issue from the DRM people:

  "Userspace is attempting to write to/read from a buffer it has
marked as being no longer required, so some rendering is going amiss.
And it does not rule out the possibility that at some point it will
catch the error later and result in a SIGBUS being sent to the
application (probably X).

  However since it is not a kernel error nor is it fatal, that and a
lot of similar messages can be demoted to debug."

So it's basically user space trying to access something stale, but it
should be harmless.

                     Linus

* Re: Linux 2.6.39 -- *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
@ 2011-05-21  1:57     ` Mark Lord
From: Mark Lord @ 2011-05-21  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-05-20 06:00 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Mark Lord <kernel@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just got weird stuff in the syslog this morning from rc7-git12:
>>
>> [43190.824700] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.827426] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.827506] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.827568] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.828685] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.830498] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.830603] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.831055] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.832580] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>> [43190.832788] [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt] *ERROR* Attempting to mmap a purgeable buffer
>
> Quoting from an earlier mail about this issue from the DRM people:
>
>   "Userspace is attempting to write to/read from a buffer it has
> marked as being no longer required, so some rendering is going amiss.
> And it does not rule out the possibility that at some point it will
> catch the error later and result in a SIGBUS being sent to the
> application (probably X).
>
>   However since it is not a kernel error nor is it fatal, that and a
> lot of similar messages can be demoted to debug."
>
> So it's basically user space trying to access something stale, but it
> should be harmless.

Peachy.  I suspect the messages get generated when I run gmplayer or vlc
(not sure which, don't really care much either).

Thanks.

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-05-21 17:56 ` Milan Oravec
From: Milan Oravec @ 2011-05-21 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi Linus, I'm sorry bothering you, but my usb-bluetooth dongle stop working in
2.6.39 kernel series.
I know it is nothing ground breaking but it is bug.
I'm using this hardware from 2.6.11 kernel series.
Details are included in this thread:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/18/481

I hope I'm doing nothing false writing this email.

With best greetings

Milan

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-21 20:31   ` Ed Tomlinson
From: Ed Tomlinson @ 2011-05-21 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Oravec; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Saturday 21 May 2011 13:56:20 Milan Oravec wrote:
> Hi Linus, I'm sorry bothering you, but my usb-bluetooth dongle stop working in
> 2.6.39 kernel series.
> I know it is nothing ground breaking but it is bug.
> I'm using this hardware from 2.6.11 kernel series.
> Details are included in this thread:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/18/481
>
> I hope I'm doing nothing false writing this email.

Same device, same problem here.

You are not alone

Ed Tomlinson

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-05-22  1:12 ` Uwaysi Bin Kareem
From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem @ 2011-05-22  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

2.6.39 first observations: The framerate jitter in games that seem to
depend on kernel for low-jitter, like doom 3, is almost completely gone
now. (Tested with latest nvidia driver something 75 something)
I decided to try threadirqs from grub, but that did not work. Looks like
the same error as I get when I tried the rt kernels, which was this one:

http://www.paradoxuncreated.com/tmp/rterror.jpg

Peace Be With You,
Uwaysi.

http://www.paradoxuncreated.com/tmp/.config39

Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz

uwaysi@Millennium:~$ lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation C55 Host Bridge (rev a2)
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
	Capabilities: <access denied>

00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0

00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0

00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a2)
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0

00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:01.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:01.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:01.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:01.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:01.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:02.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:02.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0

00:02.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C55 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0
	I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
	Memory behind bridge: fa000000-feafffff
	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000d0000000-00000000dfffffff
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C55 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=06, sec-latency=0
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

00:07.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C55 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=07, subordinate=07, sec-latency=0
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
	Capabilities: <access denied>

00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
	I/O ports at 4f00 [size=128]

00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel, IRQ 11
	I/O ports at 5000 [size=64]
	I/O ports at 6000 [size=64]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nForce2_smbus
	Kernel modules: i2c-nforce2

00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
(prog-if 10 [OHCI])
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
	Memory at f9fff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd

00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
(prog-if 20 [EHCI])
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
	Memory at f9ffec00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1) (prog-if 8a
[Master SecP PriP])
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
	[virtual] Memory at 000001f0 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
	[virtual] Memory at 000003f0 (type 3, non-prefetchable) [size=1]
	[virtual] Memory at 00000170 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
	[virtual] Memory at 00000370 (type 3, non-prefetchable) [size=1]
	I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pata_amd
	Kernel modules: pata_amd

00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev
a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
	I/O ports at c800 [size=8]
	I/O ports at c480 [size=4]
	I/O ports at c400 [size=8]
	I/O ports at c080 [size=4]
	I/O ports at c000 [size=16]
	Memory at f9ffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
	Kernel modules: sata_nv

00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev
a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
	I/O ports at bc00 [size=8]
	I/O ports at b880 [size=4]
	I/O ports at b800 [size=8]
	I/O ports at b480 [size=4]
	I/O ports at b400 [size=16]
	Memory at f9ffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
	Kernel modules: sata_nv

00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2) (prog-if
01 [Subtractive decode])
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=08, subordinate=08, sec-latency=32
	I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
	Memory behind bridge: feb00000-febfffff
	Capabilities: <access denied>

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev
a2)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7380
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
	Memory at f9ff8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 380c
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
	Memory at f9ff7000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	I/O ports at b080 [size=8]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
	Kernel modules: forcedeth

01:00.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for
mainboards (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=01, secondary=02, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0
	I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
	Memory behind bridge: fa000000-feafffff
	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000d0000000-00000000dfffffff
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

02:00.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for
mainboards (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=02, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
	I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
	Memory behind bridge: fa000000-feafffff
	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000d0000000-00000000dfffffff
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

02:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for
mainboards (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=02, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

02:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for
mainboards (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=02, secondary=05, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX
280] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 1280
	Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at fa000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
	I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at fea80000 [disabled] [size=512K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb

08:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire
II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev c0) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 380d
	Memory at febff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
	I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
	Capabilities: <access denied>

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-05-22  7:22 ` CaT
From: CaT @ 2011-05-22  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Um. Should my routing table be being displayed in reverse order all of
a sudden?

$ route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     1      0        0 eth1

ip route list is similar. I'm sure this is going to break a script or two
(and, perhaps, a mind or two :).

--
  "A search of his car uncovered pornography, a homemade sex aid, women's
  stockings and a Jack Russell terrier."

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-23 10:49       ` Catalin Marinas
From: Catalin Marinas @ 2011-05-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 17:23 +0100, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2011 17:16:32 +0100 Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > On 19 May 2011 16:44, Mark Lord <kernel@teksavvy.com> wrote:
> > > Here's some more funny business that was new after rc7-git12:
> > >
> > > warning: (AX88796_93CX6 && RTL8180 && RTL8187 && ADM8211 && RT2400PCI &&
> > > RT2500PCI && RT61PCI && RT2800PCI && R8187SE) selects EEPROM_93CX6 which has
> > > unmet direct dependencies (MISC_DEVICES)
> > > warning: (ACPI_APEI) selects PSTORE which has unmet direct dependencies
> > > (MISC_FILESYSTEMS)
> > >
> > > The exact same .config didn't do that with rc7-git12,
> > > but does do it with 2.6.39 final.
> > >
> > > Odd thing is, if I select both MISC_DEVICES and MISC_FILESYSTEMS,
> > > but do NOT select anything from under either of those,
> > > the warnings go away.
> > >
> > > Which likely means the warnings are totally bogus.
> >
> > The problem is:
> >
> > AX88796_93CX6 selects EEPROM_93CX6
> > EEPROM_93CX6 depends on MISC_DEVICES (as part of the EEPROM menu which
> > is only included if MISC_DEVICES)
> >
> > By enabling MISC_DEVICES, you allow AX88796_93CX6 to select
> > EEPROM_93CX6 without any warning as it has the dependencies met.
> >
> > The issue here is that EEPROM_93CX6 doesn't really depend on any
> > MISC_DEVICES infrastructure. That's just a directory for various
> > drivers and MISC_DEVICES only has a visibility role. There was a
> > proposal last year for kbuild to differentiate between dependency and
> > visibility but I don't know what happened to it.
>
> fwiw, there is a VISIBLE attribute now.  It defaults to yes/on.

OK. It helps but only if all the misc devices have "visible if
MISC_DEVICES" in their config options and entirely eliminate the
"if/endif" block.

Alternatively, maybe the if/endif block could generate a visibility
expression rather than a dependency. It works for MISC_DEVICES but I'm
not sure whether this is applicable across the kernel.

--
Catalin

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-23 22:08     ` Ed Tomlinson
From: Ed Tomlinson @ 2011-05-23 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Oravec
  Cc: linux-kernel, Hui Zhu, Dave Young, linux-kernel,
	Bluettooth Linux, Gustavo F. Padovan

On Saturday 21 May 2011 16:31:00 Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> On Saturday 21 May 2011 13:56:20 Milan Oravec wrote:
> > Hi Linus, I'm sorry bothering you, but my usb-bluetooth dongle stop working in
> > 2.6.39 kernel series.
> > I know it is nothing ground breaking but it is bug.
> > I'm using this hardware from 2.6.11 kernel series.
> > Details are included in this thread:
> >
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/18/481
> >
> > I hope I'm doing nothing false writing this email.
>
> Same device, same problem here.
>
> You are not alone

I had some time this afternood so I tried bisecting without much luck.  I ended up somewhere rc1 ish with a system
that would paniced during boot.  Here is the bisect log incase it helps:

# bad: [61c4f2c81c61f73549928dfd9f3e8f26aa36a8cf] Linux 2.6.39
# good: [521cb40b0c44418a4fd36dc633f575813d59a43d] Linux 2.6.38
git bisect start 'v2.6.39' 'v2.6.38' '--' 'drivers/bluetooth'
# bad: [7a6362800cb7d1d618a697a650c7aaed3eb39320] Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next-2.6
git bisect bad 7a6362800cb7d1d618a697a650c7aaed3eb39320
# bad: [0a0e9ae1bd788bc19adc4d4ae08c98b233697402] Merge branch 'master' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
git bisect bad 0a0e9ae1bd788bc19adc4d4ae08c98b233697402
# skip: [03c2d0e89409b59c1ec9d9511533cedc0b7aaa69] Bluetooth: Use usb_fill_int_urb()
git bisect skip 03c2d0e89409b59c1ec9d9511533cedc0b7aaa69
# skip: [7f4b2b04c88377af30c022f36c060190182850fb] Bluetooth: Make hci a child of the corresponding tty device.
git bisect skip 7f4b2b04c88377af30c022f36c060190182850fb
# skip: [84f0e17f78471857104a20dfc57711409f68d7bf] Bluetooth: ath3k: Avoid duplication of code
git bisect skip 84f0e17f78471857104a20dfc57711409f68d7bf

Ring any bells for anyone?

Probably should open a regression bug for this too....

TIA
Ed

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25  8:27       ` Ville Tervo
From: Ville Tervo @ 2011-05-25  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Ed Tomlinson
  Cc: Milan Oravec, linux-kernel, Hui Zhu, Dave Young,

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 06:08:36PM -0400, ext Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> On Saturday 21 May 2011 16:31:00 Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 May 2011 13:56:20 Milan Oravec wrote:
> > > Hi Linus, I'm sorry bothering you, but my usb-bluetooth dongle stop working in
> > > 2.6.39 kernel series.
> > > I know it is nothing ground breaking but it is bug.
> > > I'm using this hardware from 2.6.11 kernel series.
> > > Details are included in this thread:
> > >
> > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/18/481
> > >
> > > I hope I'm doing nothing false writing this email.
> >
> > Same device, same problem here.
> >
> > You are not alone
>
> I had some time this afternood so I tried bisecting without much luck.  I ended up somewhere rc1 ish with a system
> that would paniced during boot.  Here is the bisect log incase it helps:
>
> # bad: [61c4f2c81c61f73549928dfd9f3e8f26aa36a8cf] Linux 2.6.39
> # good: [521cb40b0c44418a4fd36dc633f575813d59a43d] Linux 2.6.38
> git bisect start 'v2.6.39' 'v2.6.38' '--' 'drivers/bluetooth'
> # bad: [7a6362800cb7d1d618a697a650c7aaed3eb39320] Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next-2.6
> git bisect bad 7a6362800cb7d1d618a697a650c7aaed3eb39320
> # bad: [0a0e9ae1bd788bc19adc4d4ae08c98b233697402] Merge branch 'master' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
> git bisect bad 0a0e9ae1bd788bc19adc4d4ae08c98b233697402
> # skip: [03c2d0e89409b59c1ec9d9511533cedc0b7aaa69] Bluetooth: Use usb_fill_int_urb()
> git bisect skip 03c2d0e89409b59c1ec9d9511533cedc0b7aaa69
> # skip: [7f4b2b04c88377af30c022f36c060190182850fb] Bluetooth: Make hci a child of the corresponding tty device.
> git bisect skip 7f4b2b04c88377af30c022f36c060190182850fb
> # skip: [84f0e17f78471857104a20dfc57711409f68d7bf] Bluetooth: ath3k: Avoid duplication of code
> git bisect skip 84f0e17f78471857104a20dfc57711409f68d7bf
>
> Ring any bells for anyone?
>
> Probably should open a regression bug for this too....

I think this is regression with d5859e22cd40b73164b3e5d8d5d796f96edcc6af
commit. Probably the code tries to enable something that is not supported.

Could you pastebin hcidump while doing hciconfig hci0 up?

--
Ville

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25 21:19         ` Milan Oravec
From: Milan Oravec @ 2011-05-25 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Tervo
  Cc: ext Ed Tomlinson, linux-kernel, Hui Zhu, Dave Young,
	Bluettooth Linux, Gustavo F. Padovan

Hi Ville, thank you for your help.

In 2.6.39 kernel command hciconfig hci0 up produces this output:

HCI sniffer - Bluetooth packet analyzer ver 1.42
device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff
< HCI Command: Reset (0x03|0x0003) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
< HCI Command: Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
< HCI Command: Read Buffer Size (0x04|0x0005) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 11
< HCI Command: Read BD ADDR (0x04|0x0009) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
< HCI Command: Read Class of Device (0x03|0x0023) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 7
< HCI Command: Read Local Name (0x03|0x0014) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 252
< HCI Command: Read Voice Setting (0x03|0x0025) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
< HCI Command: Set Event Filter (0x03|0x0005) plen 1
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Connection Accept Timeout (0x03|0x0016) plen 2
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Delete Stored Link Key (0x03|0x0012) plen 7
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
< HCI Command: Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) plen 8
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4

In 2.6.38.7 kernel command hciconfig hci0 up produces:

HCI sniffer - Bluetooth packet analyzer ver 1.42
device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff
< HCI Command: Reset (0x03|0x0003) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
< HCI Command: Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
< HCI Command: Read Buffer Size (0x04|0x0005) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 11
< HCI Command: Read BD ADDR (0x04|0x0009) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
< HCI Command: Read Class of Device (0x03|0x0023) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 7
< HCI Command: Read Local Name (0x03|0x0014) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 252
< HCI Command: Read Voice Setting (0x03|0x0025) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
< HCI Command: Set Event Filter (0x03|0x0005) plen 1
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Page Timeout (0x03|0x0018) plen 2
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Connection Accept Timeout (0x03|0x0016) plen 2
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Page Timeout (0x03|0x0018) plen 2
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Read Stored Link Key (0x03|0x000d) plen 7
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 8
< HCI Command: Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) plen 8
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Default Link Policy Settings (0x02|0x000f) plen 2
 > > HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Local Name (0x03|0x0013) plen 248
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Class of Device (0x03|0x0024) plen 3
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Write Scan Enable (0x03|0x001a) plen 1
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
< HCI Command: Read Local Name (0x03|0x0014) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 252
< HCI Command: Read Scan Enable (0x03|0x0019) plen 0
 > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 5

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Milan

@ 2011-06-21 21:08         ` Milan Oravec
From: Milan Oravec @ 2011-06-21 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Tervo
  Cc: ext Ed Tomlinson, linux-kernel, Hui Zhu, Dave Young,
	Bluettooth Linux, Gustavo F. Padovan

Hi Ville, than you for your patch. BT dongle works now again in 3.0-rc4
kernel.

Best wishes,

@ 2011-05-30 21:02                       ` Gustavo F. Padovan
From: Gustavo F. Padovan @ 2011-05-30 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Tomlinson
  Cc: corey, Ville Tervo, wyrles, Cufi, Carles, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

* Ed Tomlinson <edt@aei.ca> [2011-05-26 06:47:55 -0400]:

> On Thursday 26 May 2011 06:17:20 Corey Boyle wrote:

Great, I'll consider both comments as a Tested-by thing and add it to the
commit.

--
Gustavo F. Padovan
http://profusion.mobi

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-26 10:47                     ` Ed Tomlinson
From: Ed Tomlinson @ 2011-05-26 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey; +Cc: Ville Tervo, wyrles, Cufi, Carles, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

On Thursday 26 May 2011 06:17:20 Corey Boyle wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Ville Tervo <ville.tervo@nokia.com> wrote:

Thanks
Ed

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-26 10:17                   ` Corey Boyle
From: Corey Boyle @ 2011-05-26 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Tervo
  Cc: wyrles, Cufi, Carles, Ed Tomlinson, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

@ 2011-05-26  8:37                 ` Ville Tervo
From: Ville Tervo @ 2011-05-26  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Corey Boyle
  Cc: wyrles, Cufi, Carles, Ed Tomlinson, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 09:11:19PM -0400, ext Corey Boyle wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Tom Allebrandi <wyrles@ytram.com> wrote:

-	}

@ 2011-05-26  1:11               ` Corey Boyle
From: Corey Boyle @ 2011-05-26  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wyrles, Ville Tervo, Cufi, Carles
  Cc: Ed Tomlinson, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Tom Allebrandi <wyrles@ytram.com> wrote:

* RE: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25 17:21                 ` Tom Allebrandi
From: Tom Allebrandi @ 2011-05-25 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cufi, Carles', corey
  Cc: 'Ed Tomlinson', 'Ville Tervo',
	'Bluettooth Linux',
	linux-kernel

> The HCI spec lists this as a 64-bit number but it must be sent in Little
Endian to
> the controller, hence the reverse order in Ville Tervo's patch earlier in
the
> email thread.

That I knew. I was just checking that 64 bit values are displayed left to
right since other little endian values (0x020d, 0x0001 above) are displayed
right to left.

Cheers!

--- tom
tom allebrandi
wyrles@ytram.com

* RE: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25 17:04               ` Cufi, Carles
From: Cufi, Carles @ 2011-05-25 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wyrles, corey
  Cc: 'Ed Tomlinson', 'Ville Tervo',
	'Bluettooth Linux',
	linux-kernel

*************************
>> >     Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) ncmd 1
>> >     status 0x12
>> >     Error: Invalid HCI Command Parameters
>
>Set Event Mask has been in the Bluetooth Spec since day 1, so it must
>be
>the bitmask, which has been extended with each new spec release to cover newly >added events. Looking at the latest spec, and judging >by the year your chipset was released in (it probably is a 1.1 compliant chipset) I believe that >0x000000008FFFFFFF is the highest >event mask it would support (up until and including Page Scan Repetition Mode Change Event), but since I don't have the >old 1.1 spec >around I may be one or two bits off.

>The device appears to have identified itself as CSR firmware using Bluetooth version 1.1.
>I do happen to have the 1.1 spec lying around :-), for Set_Event_Mask it says
>0x0000000100000000
>To                                          Reserved for future use
>0x8000000000000000
>0x00000000FFFFFFFF	Default (All events enabled)
>The mask above looks ok (no undefined bits), but are they supposed to be displayed in that order? (IOW, are the bytes in correct >order?)

The HCI spec lists this as a 64-bit number but it must be sent in Little Endian to the controller, hence the reverse order in Ville Tervo's patch earlier in the email thread.

Carles

* RE: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25 16:31             ` Tom Allebrandi
From: Tom Allebrandi @ 2011-05-25 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cufi, Carles', corey
  Cc: 'Ed Tomlinson', 'Ville Tervo',
	'Bluettooth Linux',
	linux-kernel

*************************

@ 2011-05-25 14:15           ` Cufi, Carles
From: Cufi, Carles @ 2011-05-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey; +Cc: Ed Tomlinson, Ville Tervo, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

@ 2011-05-25 14:07         ` Corey Boyle
From: Corey Boyle @ 2011-05-25 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cufi, Carles; +Cc: Ed Tomlinson, Ville Tervo, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Cufi, Carles <carles.cufi@nordicsemi.no> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 May 2011 07:36:14 Ville Tervo wrote:

>> Some cutting done
>>

>> > hcidump
>> > HCI sniffer - Bluetooth packet analyzer ver 2.0 < HCI Command: Read
>> > Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) plen 0
>> >     Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) ncmd 1
>> >     status 0x00
>> >     Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 < HCI Command:
>> > Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) plen 0
>> >     Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) ncmd 1
>> >     status 0x00
>> >     HCI Version: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Revision: 0x20d
>> >     LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x20d
>> >     Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10) < HCI Command: Set
>> > Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) plen 8
>> >     Mask: 0xfffffbff00000000
>> >     Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) ncmd 1
>> >     status 0x12
>> >     Error: Invalid HCI Command Parameters
>> >

>> Yes the HCI_OP_SET_EVENT_MASK cmd seems to be the source of problems.
>>
>> Maybe is rejects it because two reserved bits are being enabled. Could
>> you try this patch?
>>
>> diff --git a/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c b/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
>> index 19cd4af..e483e30 100644
>> --- a/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
>> +++ b/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
>> @@ -475,7 +475,7 @@ static void hci_setup_event_mask(struct hci_dev *hdev)
>>         /* The second byte is 0xff instead of 0x9f (two reserved bits
>>          * disabled) since a Broadcom 1.2 dongle doesn't respond to the
>>          * command otherwise */
>> -       u8 events[8] = { 0xff, 0xff, 0xfb, 0xff, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
>> +       u8 events[8] = { 0xff, 0x9f, 0xfb, 0xff, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
>> + 0x00 };
>>
>>         /* Events for 1.2 and newer controllers */
>>         if (hdev->lmp_ver > 1) {
>
>> No luck here - same results.
>
> For what it's worth:
>
> With a (recent)CSR chipset, with 2.6.38 only Set Event Filter is used (with a 0 filter) and no Set Event Mask is sent at all. With Bluetooth-next, I get the following:
>
> < HCI Command: Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) plen 8
>    Mask: 0xfffffbff07f8bf3d
>> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
>    Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) ncmd 1
>    status 0x00
>
> So Set Event Mask actually seems to go through without any problems.
>
> Carles

My adapter is from 2002 so I'm guessing it either doesn't support Set
Event Mask at all, or is very sensitive about the values it receives.
I tried to figure out what chip it is using by disassembling the
dongle, but the chip seems to be covered by a metal case which is
soldered to the board and I'd rather not try to rip it off.

Any thoughts on how to further debug this apart from trying all
possible values of event mask?

* RE: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25 12:46       ` Cufi, Carles
From: Cufi, Carles @ 2011-05-25 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Tomlinson, Ville Tervo; +Cc: Corey Boyle, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

@ 2011-05-25 12:12     ` Ed Tomlinson
From: Ed Tomlinson @ 2011-05-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Tervo; +Cc: Corey Boyle, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 07:36:14 Ville Tervo wrote:

> Some cutting done
>

> > hcidump
> > HCI sniffer - Bluetooth packet analyzer ver 2.0
> > < HCI Command: Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) plen 0
> > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
> >     Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) ncmd 1
> >     status 0x00
> >     Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> > < HCI Command: Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) plen 0
> > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
> >     Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) ncmd 1
> >     status 0x00
> >     HCI Version: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Revision: 0x20d
> >     LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x20d
> >     Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
> > < HCI Command: Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) plen 8
> >     Mask: 0xfffffbff00000000
> > > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
> >     Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) ncmd 1
> >     status 0x12
> >     Error: Invalid HCI Command Parameters
> >

> Yes the HCI_OP_SET_EVENT_MASK cmd seems to be the source of problems.
>
> Maybe is rejects it because two reserved bits are being enabled. Could you try
> this patch?
>
> diff --git a/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c b/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
> index 19cd4af..e483e30 100644
> --- a/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
> +++ b/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
> @@ -475,7 +475,7 @@ static void hci_setup_event_mask(struct hci_dev *hdev)
>         /* The second byte is 0xff instead of 0x9f (two reserved bits
>          * disabled) since a Broadcom 1.2 dongle doesn't respond to the
>          * command otherwise */
> -       u8 events[8] = { 0xff, 0xff, 0xfb, 0xff, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
> +       u8 events[8] = { 0xff, 0x9f, 0xfb, 0xff, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
>
>         /* Events for 1.2 and newer controllers */
>         if (hdev->lmp_ver > 1) {

No luck here - same results.

Thanks
Ed

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25 11:53     ` Corey Boyle
From: Corey Boyle @ 2011-05-25 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Tervo; +Cc: ext Ed Tomlinson, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Ville Tervo <ville.tervo@nokia.com> wrote:

> Some cutting done
>

>> hcidump
>> HCI sniffer - Bluetooth packet analyzer ver 2.0
>> < HCI Command: Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) plen 0
>> > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
>>     Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) ncmd 1
>>     status 0x00
>>     Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
>> < HCI Command: Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) plen 0
>> > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
>>     Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) ncmd 1
>>     status 0x00
>>     HCI Version: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Revision: 0x20d
>>     LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x20d
>>     Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>> < HCI Command: Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) plen 8
>>     Mask: 0xfffffbff00000000
>> > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
>>     Set Event Mask (0x03|0x0001) ncmd 1
>>     status 0x12
>>     Error: Invalid HCI Command Parameters
>>

> Yes the HCI_OP_SET_EVENT_MASK cmd seems to be the source of problems.
>
> Maybe is rejects it because two reserved bits are being enabled. Could you try
> this patch?
>
> diff --git a/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c b/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
> index 19cd4af..e483e30 100644
> --- a/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
> +++ b/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c
> @@ -475,7 +475,7 @@ static void hci_setup_event_mask(struct hci_dev *hdev)
>        /* The second byte is 0xff instead of 0x9f (two reserved bits
>         * disabled) since a Broadcom 1.2 dongle doesn't respond to the
>         * command otherwise */
> -       u8 events[8] = { 0xff, 0xff, 0xfb, 0xff, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
> +       u8 events[8] = { 0xff, 0x9f, 0xfb, 0xff, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
>
>        /* Events for 1.2 and newer controllers */
>        if (hdev->lmp_ver > 1) {
>

> --
> Ville

No luck for me with a Microsoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth.
Not sending the HCI_OP_SET_EVENT_MASK command at all seems to fix it,
but it seems to have negative effects on my devices battery life when
doing so.

* Re: Linux 2.6.39
@ 2011-05-25 11:36   ` Ville Tervo
From: Ville Tervo @ 2011-05-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Ed Tomlinson; +Cc: Corey Boyle, Bluettooth Linux, linux-kernel

       [not found] <BANLkTinG_qCtHQYRYFQUJ9oGv4H1cuznWg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-05-25 11:11 ` Ed Tomlinson
From: Ed Tomlinson @ 2011-05-25 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey Boyle, Bluettooth Linux; +Cc: ville.tervo, linux-kernel

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 06:54:54 Corey Boyle wrote:

> > > I had some time this afternood so I tried bisecting without much luck.  I ended up \
> > > somewhere rc1 ish with a system that would paniced during boot.  Here is the bisect \
> > > log incase it helps:
> > > # bad: [61c4f2c81c61f73549928dfd9f3e8f26aa36a8cf] Linux 2.6.39
> > > # good: [521cb40b0c44418a4fd36dc633f575813d59a43d] Linux 2.6.38
> > > git bisect start 'v2.6.39' 'v2.6.38' '--' 'drivers/bluetooth'
> > > # bad: [7a6362800cb7d1d618a697a650c7aaed3eb39320] Merge \
> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next-2.6 git bisect bad \
> > > 7a6362800cb7d1d618a697a650c7aaed3eb39320 # bad: \
> > > [0a0e9ae1bd788bc19adc4d4ae08c98b233697402] Merge branch 'master' of \
> > > master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6 git bisect bad \
> > > 0a0e9ae1bd788bc19adc4d4ae08c98b233697402 # skip: \
> > > [03c2d0e89409b59c1ec9d9511533cedc0b7aaa69] Bluetooth: Use usb_fill_int_urb() git \
> > > bisect skip 03c2d0e89409b59c1ec9d9511533cedc0b7aaa69 # skip: \
> > > [7f4b2b04c88377af30c022f36c060190182850fb] Bluetooth: Make hci a child of the \
> > > corresponding tty device. git bisect skip 7f4b2b04c88377af30c022f36c060190182850fb
> > > # skip: [84f0e17f78471857104a20dfc57711409f68d7bf] Bluetooth: ath3k: Avoid \
> > > duplication of code git bisect skip 84f0e17f78471857104a20dfc57711409f68d7bf
> > >
> > > Ring any bells for anyone?
> > >
> > > Probably should open a regression bug for this too....
> >
> > I think this is regression with d5859e22cd40b73164b3e5d8d5d796f96edcc6af
> > commit. Probably the code tries to enable something that is not supported.
> >
> > Could you pastebin hcidump while doing hciconfig hci0 up?

hcidump
HCI sniffer - Bluetooth packet analyzer ver 2.0
device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffffffffffff
< HCI Command: Reset (0x03|0x0003) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
    Reset (0x03|0x0003) ncmd 1
    status 0x00
< HCI Command: Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
    Read Local Supported Features (0x04|0x0003) ncmd 1
    status 0x00
    Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
< HCI Command: Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
    Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) ncmd 1
    status 0x00
    HCI Version: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Revision: 0x20d
    LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x20d
    Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
< HCI Command: Read Buffer Size (0x04|0x0005) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 11
    Read Buffer Size (0x04|0x0005) ncmd 1
    status 0x00
    ACL MTU 192:8 SCO MTU 64:8
< HCI Command: Read BD ADDR (0x04|0x0009) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
    Read BD ADDR (0x04|0x0009) ncmd 1
    status 0x00 bdaddr 00:0A:3A:55:07:5A
< HCI Command: Read Class of Device (0x03|0x0023) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 7
    Read Class of Device (0x03|0x0023) ncmd 1
    status 0x00 class 0x000000
< HCI Command: Read Local Name (0x03|0x0014) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 252
    Read Local Name (0x03|0x0014) ncmd 1
    status 0x00 name 'grover-0'
< HCI Command: Read Voice Setting (0x03|0x0025) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
    Read Voice Setting (0x03|0x0025) ncmd 1
    status 0x00 voice setting 0x0060
< HCI Command: Set Event Filter (0x03|0x0005) plen 1
    type 0 condition 0
    Clear all filters
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
    Set Event Filter (0x03|0x0005) ncmd 1
    status 0x00
< HCI Command: Write Connection Accept Timeout (0x03|0x0016) plen 2
    timeout 32000
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
    Write Connection Accept Timeout (0x03|0x0016) ncmd 1
    status 0x00
< HCI Command: Delete Stored Link Key (0x03|0x0012) plen 7
    bdaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00 all 1
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
    Delete Stored Link Key (0x03|0x0012) ncmd 1
    status 0x00 deleted 0