* In which meta/layer is a home for not yet supported machines
@ 2011-06-29 15:28 Andreas Mueller
From: Andreas Mueller @ 2011-06-29 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

Hi,

just started to collect first oe-core experiences and would like to get the
hardware on my (or friend's) desk supported. To check already available I did

find -name "*.conf" | grep machine

and miss

o gumstix overo ( http://www.gumstix.com/store/index.php?cPath=33 )
o tx28 ( http://www.karo-electronics.com/tx28.html / have prepared support for
oe but would like to get this to oe-core )
o mx28evk (
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCIMX28EVKJ&fr=g
)

In which meta/layer is the first place for configurations/bootloader/kernels?

Regards

Andreas

* Re: [oe] In which meta/layer is a home for not yet supported machines
@ 2011-06-29 15:32   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-06-29 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Andreas Mueller <schnitzeltony@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just started to collect first oe-core experiences and would like to get the
> hardware on my (or friend's) desk supported. To check already available I did
>
> find -name "*.conf" | grep machine
>
> and miss
>
> o gumstix overo ( http://www.gumstix.com/store/index.php?cPath=33 )
> o tx28 ( http://www.karo-electronics.com/tx28.html / have prepared support for
> oe but would like to get this to oe-core )
> o mx28evk (
> http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCIMX28EVKJ&fr=g
> )
>
> In which meta/layer is the first place for configurations/bootloader/kernels?

you would need meta layer for the new machines. There already are some layers
checkout angstrom if the machines do not fit into those existing you
can create a new
layer something like meta-gumstix

> Regards
>
> Andreas

* Re: In which meta/layer is a home for not yet supported machines
@ 2011-06-29 15:32   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-06-29 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-core

@ 2011-06-29 15:38 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-06-29 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-core

* Re: In which meta/layer is a home for not yet supported machines
  (?)
@ 2011-06-29 15:48   ` Andreas Mueller
From: Andreas Mueller @ 2011-06-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 05:32:54 PM Khem Raj wrote:
> you would need meta layer for the new machines. There already are some
> layers checkout angstrom
AFAIK there is no machine conf in angstrom
> if the machines do not fit into those existing
> you can create a new
> layer something like meta-gumstix
Open and maintain git-repos

meta-gumstix
meta-freescale
meta-karo

and get them supported by angstrom? Is that a solution for a hobbyist dev (not
working for one of these companies)? Or wait until the companies will get this
done?

sorry but maybe I am missing something

@ 2011-06-29 15:50     ` Phil Blundell
From: Phil Blundell @ 2011-06-29 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 17:48 +0200, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> Open and maintain git-repos
>
> meta-gumstix
> meta-freescale
> meta-karo
>
> and get them supported by angstrom? Is that a solution for a hobbyist dev (not
> working for one of these companies)?

Yes, that's pretty much the size of it.  Creating the repos is fairly
trivial, you can host them on github or gitorious or anywhere you like.
Maintaining them ought to also be fairly low-effort since a basic
machine layer doesn't actually need to contain very much.

p.

* Re: [was oe] In which meta/layer is a home for not yet supported machines
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2011-06-30 22:50   ` Andreas Mueller
From: Andreas Mueller @ 2011-06-30 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 05:32:54 PM Khem Raj wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Andreas Mueller <schnitzeltony@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > just started to collect first oe-core experiences and would like to get
> > the hardware on my (or friend's) desk supported. To check already
> > available I did
> >
> > find -name "*.conf" | grep machine
> >
> > and miss
> >
> > o gumstix overo ( http://www.gumstix.com/store/index.php?cPath=33 )
> > o tx28 ( http://www.karo-electronics.com/tx28.html / have prepared
> > support for oe but would like to get this to oe-core )
> > o mx28evk (
> > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCIMX28EVK
> > J&fr=g )
> >
> > In which meta/layer is the first place for
> > configurations/bootloader/kernels?
>
> you would need meta layer for the new machines. There already are some
> layers checkout angstrom if the machines do not fit into those existing
> you can create a new
> layer something like meta-gumstix
for tx28 / mx28evk see https://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-
freescale

I run tested for tx28 / console-image and am happy (let's see for how long..)
with it. Maybe someone wants to test mx28evk or have some review on it.

Really was'nt that big deal - and nobody nitpicked :-)

Andreas