* relicensing Sparse
@ 2011-08-10 22:08 Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2011-08-10 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sparse

All of you probably know that I've been contacting people to try get
permission to relicense Sparse to the MIT license.  The Transmeta
code was relicensed some years ago but we needed to collect all
the copyright holders to do a full relicense.  I basically did a git
blame and if you have over 10 lines of Sparse code, then I sent you
an email.

I havent' been able to reach these two people:
Luc Van Oostenryck <luc.vanoostenryck@looxix.net> (279 lines)
Richard Knutsson <ricknu-0@student.ltu.se>        (21 lines)

Does anyone know how I can reach them?  Are they on this list?

I'm also waiting to hear back from two people, but hopefully we
should be able to finish relicensing fairly soon.

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: relicensing Sparse
@ 2011-08-10 23:09 ` Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2011-08-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Carpenter; +Cc: linux-sparse

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:08:06AM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> All of you probably know that I've been contacting people to try get
> permission to relicense Sparse to the MIT license.  The Transmeta
> code was relicensed some years ago but we needed to collect all
> the copyright holders to do a full relicense.  I basically did a git
> blame and if you have over 10 lines of Sparse code, then I sent you
> an email.

Thank you very much for your continued effort on this.  I'd wondered
what still blocked that effort.

Checking "git blame" doesn't seem sufficient; I think you really want to
contact anyone who has a commit in the git log.  Try "git shortlog -se".
Who appears on the latter list and not your list from "git blame"?

> I havent' been able to reach these two people:
> Luc Van Oostenryck <luc.vanoostenryck@looxix.net> (279 lines)
> Richard Knutsson <ricknu-0@student.ltu.se>        (21 lines)
>
> Does anyone know how I can reach them?  Are they on this list?

Richard Knutsson worked on Sparse for Google Summer of Code in 2007.
Thus, the SoC admins might still have full contact information for him,
not just an email address.  You could ask the SoC admins if they'd be
willing to contact Richard privately on your behalf.  (I think they'd
want to avoid sharing the non-email contact information directly for
privacy reasons, but they might consider making the contact for you.)

For Luc Van Oostenryck, a quick check shows that looxix.net existed from
2005 until it expired just a couple of months ago; odd timing.

- Josh Triplett

* Re: relicensing Sparse
@ 2011-08-11 10:39   ` Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2011-08-11 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Triplett; +Cc: linux-sparse

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 04:09:39PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:08:06AM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > All of you probably know that I've been contacting people to try get
> > permission to relicense Sparse to the MIT license.  The Transmeta
> > code was relicensed some years ago but we needed to collect all
> > the copyright holders to do a full relicense.  I basically did a git
> > blame and if you have over 10 lines of Sparse code, then I sent you
> > an email.
>
> Thank you very much for your continued effort on this.  I'd wondered
> what still blocked that effort.
>
> Checking "git blame" doesn't seem sufficient; I think you really want to
> contact anyone who has a commit in the git log. Try "git shortlog -se".
> Who appears on the latter list and not your list from "git blame"?

Most of the people who I missed would have been filtered out anyway
by my ten lines of code minimum contribution requirement.  Perhaps I
should just contact everyone.

I looked at how Mozilla did the relicensing and they pretty much went
by who had their name in a copyright notice at the top of the file.
For files without a copyright notice they looked at the history.  So
it seems like tiny contributions were ignored.

I'm obviously not a lawyer.  Contacting everyone is probably doable
if that's what you think is best.

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: relicensing Sparse
@ 2011-08-11 20:49     ` Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2011-08-11 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Carpenter; +Cc: linux-sparse

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:39:08PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 04:09:39PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:08:06AM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > > All of you probably know that I've been contacting people to try get
> > > permission to relicense Sparse to the MIT license.  The Transmeta
> > > code was relicensed some years ago but we needed to collect all
> > > the copyright holders to do a full relicense.  I basically did a git
> > > blame and if you have over 10 lines of Sparse code, then I sent you
> > > an email.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your continued effort on this.  I'd wondered
> > what still blocked that effort.
> >
> > Checking "git blame" doesn't seem sufficient; I think you really want to
> > contact anyone who has a commit in the git log. Try "git shortlog -se".
> > Who appears on the latter list and not your list from "git blame"?
>
> Most of the people who I missed would have been filtered out anyway
> by my ten lines of code minimum contribution requirement.  Perhaps I
> should just contact everyone.
>
> I looked at how Mozilla did the relicensing and they pretty much went
> by who had their name in a copyright notice at the top of the file.
> For files without a copyright notice they looked at the history.  So
> it seems like tiny contributions were ignored.
>
> I'm obviously not a lawyer.  Contacting everyone is probably doable
> if that's what you think is best.

I don't necessarily think you *have* to successfully contact everyone,
but trying seems worthwhile.  When the list gets short enough, we can
review the remaining contributions and figure out if we need to worry.

Nonetheless, I certainly think you've taken the right approach of
focusing on the major contributions first.

- Josh Triplett

* Re: relicensing Sparse
@ 2011-08-11 22:47     ` Christopher Li
From: Christopher Li @ 2011-08-11 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Carpenter; +Cc: Josh Triplett, linux-sparse

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:39 AM, Dan Carpenter <error27@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of the people who I missed would have been filtered out anyway
> by my ten lines of code minimum contribution requirement.  Perhaps I
> should just contact everyone.
>
> I looked at how Mozilla did the relicensing and they pretty much went
> by who had their name in a copyright notice at the top of the file.
> For files without a copyright notice they looked at the history.  So
> it seems like tiny contributions were ignored.
>
> I'm obviously not a lawyer.  Contacting everyone is probably doable
> if that's what you think is best.

I agree try to contact every one is about the license change is better.

How many people have you contact and how many reply have you got
so far?

Chris

* Re: relicensing Sparse
@ 2011-08-11 22:52       ` Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2011-08-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Li; +Cc: Josh Triplett, linux-sparse

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 03:47:26PM -0700, Christopher Li wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:39 AM, Dan Carpenter <error27@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Most of the people who I missed would have been filtered out anyway
> > by my ten lines of code minimum contribution requirement.  Perhaps I
> > should just contact everyone.
> >
> > I looked at how Mozilla did the relicensing and they pretty much went
> > by who had their name in a copyright notice at the top of the file.
> > For files without a copyright notice they looked at the history.  So
> > it seems like tiny contributions were ignored.
> >
> > I'm obviously not a lawyer.  Contacting everyone is probably doable
> > if that's what you think is best.
>
> I agree try to contact every one is about the license change is better.
>
> How many people have you contact and how many reply have you got
> so far?

I'll just contact everyone.  It's not a problem.  So far I've
contacted everyone with more than 10 lines except for the two people
I mentioned.  Everyone is Ok with the change except for one person
who hasn't responded yet.

There are about 30 people left to contact now that we're going to
contact everyone.

I'll send you what I have so far privately in a separate email.

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: relicensing Sparse
@ 2011-02-26 18:24   ` Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2011-02-26 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Dobriyan; +Cc: linux-sparse

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 08:10:49PM +0200, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 08:34:14PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > We trying to relicense Sparse.  The Open Software License isn't
> > compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  We're moving to
> > the MIT license.
>
> It was done year ago?
> http://marc.info/?t=123974944800001&r=1&w=2

http://marc.info/?l=linux-sparse&m=123975412205548&w=2

That's only for Linus's copyrights.  There have been a lot of other
contributors.

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: relicensing Sparse