From: Rainer Dorsch <ml@bokomoko.de>
To: Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com>
Cc: intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: CRT not detected via hotplug on resume
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:05:37 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag 22 September 2011, 16:33:46 schrieb Keith Packard:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:36:12 +0200, Rainer Dorsch <ml@bokomoko.de> wrote:
> > This kind of output I do not see in the syslog anymore during regular
>
> > operation now (is that the 10-second polling?):
> Yes. So, the patch is definitely included.

Thanks for confirming this.

> > > Let me know if it actually helps your suspend/resume issues.
> >
> > So far the patch at least did not break anything visible to me :-) Since
> > I cannot reproduce the suspend/resume issues reliably, this takes now
> > some time. If I will have not seen it within the next two weeks, the
> > problem is fixed or at least improved.
>
> Thanks for testing this patch.

The patch runs stable for me so far. But I hit the suspend/resume issue again.
When I ssh into the machine, I get through xrandr

rd@blackbox:~$ xrandr -display :0
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm
x 301mm
   1280x1024      60.0*+
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        60.0
   720x400        70.1
rd@blackbox:~$

which looks ok fo me. I tried to switch to another resolution, but the machine
autosuspended, before I was able to do so (I took me a few minutes to figure
out a copy and paste problem :-( ). After the second resume, HDMI was working
again.

xrandr shows the same data after the second resume:

rd@blackbox:~$ xrandr -display :0
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm
x 301mm
   1280x1024      60.0*+
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        60.0
   720x400        70.1
rd@blackbox:~$

Are there any other data I could gather to figure out what is going wrong?

Thanks,
Rainer

BTW, I start thinking on workarounds. One workaround would be to immediately
suspend the system again, when I hit the problem. Since only graphics seems to
be affected, I am thinking of "blindly" switching to a VT enter the root
password and run pm-suspend. What I am worried about is that I have to enter
the root password blindly. Are there better ways to manually suspend (without
booting up another system and sshing in)? Could a cron script (e.g. running
once a minute) detect the situation (but how, xrandr output seems to be ok)?

Many thanks,
Rainer