On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:30:42 +0100 Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote: > Hi Neil, > > Am 08.02.2012 02:57, schrieb NeilBrown: > > Probably mdmon isn't running for some reason. > > > > For these arrays the metadata is managed in user-space by mdmon. > > Until it is ready to record failures the array must remain readonly. > > On of the first things it does is switch the array to read-write, having > > arranged to catch any failure notifications. > > > > If you > > > > mdmon --all --takeover > > > > it might just start working. However that doesn't explain why mdmon wasn't > > started at boot. mdadm is meant to start it. > > There are some concerns about mdmon starting this way being not "the right > > thing" from a systemd perspective and there might be some issues there that > > are causing problems. > > You're correct the mdmon does not run as the root filesystem is readonly > and it cannot create a pid file... and the root filesystem stays > readonly as the mdmon is not running... It should be configured to create it in a writable filesystem, maybe /dev/.something or /var/run/something. If it is configured to create it somewhere that isn't writeable when mdadm is run, then that is a system integration error. (not entirely surprising as we seem to keep changing our mind as to where this stuff should go - I think /run is the flavour of the month). NeilBrown