* Ted Ts'o wrote: > On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:23:57PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote: > > Frankly, anybody seriously wanting to do anything with ext[2-4] > > filesystems should use header files as provided by libext2fs. So I wonder > > if just unexporting the whole file wouldn't be the best solution going > > forward. Ted, do you have opinion? > > Agreed, it's been almost 8 years since e2fsprogs used the > include/linux/ext2_fs.h (the last version that needed it was e2fsprogs > 1.35, released February 28, 2004). > > There shouldn't be *anyone* using any of the ext2/3/4 kernel header > files. The only program that might be cheating and using kernel > header files is ext3grep, as the author wasn't willing to fix his > applications to use libext2fs. (As a result, it doesn't work on ext4 > file systems, where as properly coded programs that do use libext2fs > often work just fine on ext4, such as e2tools, which hasn't been > modified for something like eight years but which works on ext4 just > fine.) > > So yeah, I'd just unexport ext2_fs.h, and probably ext3_fs.h as well. Alright. Do you want me to send a patch to do so? What's the recommended fix for packages that cannot or will not use libext2fs, like busybox? Copy the required parts into a private header and use that instead? Thierry