On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 03:15:29PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote: > > Could you be more specific about what this early boot time stuff is? > > Looking at the changelogs in there it all looks like the standard > > battery monitoring and power supply stuff that these ADCs get used for - > > just based on the changelogs there doesn't appear to be anything > > remarkable here. > It depends on the actual device but things the like battery management > are a key one. Right, like I say that all sounds totally standard and unremarkable. > > We can't just keep on going round adding new custom interfaces every > > time someone supports a new SoC - it means we end up having to sit and > We can't go around blocking entire platforms because of the IIO blob. I > raised this point with the whole previous *generation* of Intel SoC > devices about IIO and nothing has been done about it. Including by Intel, of course. > Get IIO out of staing and we can look at it, until then IIO is staging > code, it's not part of the kernel, it may never be part of the kernel, > and it should never block actual kernel code. That's not where the rest of the embedded community has been coming from on this stuff and from a deployment point of view staging isn't really that big a blocker to users. We've had a lot of experience with trying to follow that approach and the results haven't been great thus far. Frankly at this point I don't understand why we can't just lift IIO out of staging as-is, perhaps with the userspace ABI nobbled or moved into debugfs for the time being if that's still a concern. Alternatively there is the option of you proposing some other generic framework.