* [RFC] Kernel API
@ 2012-04-13 17:09 harryxiyou
From: harryxiyou @ 2012-04-13 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know how i can get all the Kernel APIs, which i can call
ones i need in my
Kernel Modules. Sometimes, i wanna use some Kenrel APIS as the userspace i
can use 'man api', which i can understand it and use it. But i have
not find the way
to search a Kernel API easily. Cloud anyone give me some advices?

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

* [RFC] Kernel API
@ 2012-04-13 17:29 ` Alexandru Juncu
From: Alexandru Juncu @ 2012-04-13 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM, harryxiyou <harryxiyou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to know how i can get all the Kernel APIs, which i can call
> ones i need in my
> Kernel Modules. Sometimes, i wanna use some Kenrel APIS as the userspace i
> can use 'man api', which i can understand it and use it. But i have
> not find the way
> to search a Kernel API easily. Cloud anyone give me some advices?

Hello!

The Kernel "API" is found in kernel itself. Any exported functions are
available in your modules.
You won't have man pages for them (as far as I know). The best thing
to do is use the kernel sources.

cscope and ctags in your editor could help you. Also, LXR [0].

[0] http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.3.1/

* [RFC] Kernel API
@ 2012-04-13 18:28 ` Jonathan Neuschäfer
From: Jonathan Neuschäfer @ 2012-04-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:09:22AM +0800, harryxiyou wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to know how i can get all the Kernel APIs, which i can call
> ones i need in my
> Kernel Modules. Sometimes, i wanna use some Kenrel APIS as the userspace i
> can use 'man api', which i can understand it and use it. But i have
> not find the way
> to search a Kernel API easily. Cloud anyone give me some advices?

The build scripts will generate man pages for you if you run "make
mandocs" (see the output of "make help" for more information).

Thanks,
	Jonathan Neusch?fer

* [RFC] Kernel API
@ 2012-04-14  3:27   ` harryxiyou
From: harryxiyou @ 2012-04-14  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Alexandru Juncu <alex.juncu@rosedu.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM, harryxiyou <harryxiyou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to know how i can get all the Kernel APIs, which i can call
>> ones i need in my
>> Kernel Modules. Sometimes, i wanna use some Kenrel APIS as the userspace i
>> can use 'man api', which i can understand it and use it. But i have
>> not find the way
>> to search a Kernel API easily. Cloud anyone give me some advices?
>>

> Hello!
>
> The Kernel "API" is found in kernel itself. Any exported functions are
> available in your modules.
> You won't have man pages for them (as far as I know). The best thing
> to do is use the kernel sources.
> cscope and ctags in your editor could help you. Also, LXR [0].
> [0] http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.3.1/

Hmmm.., it is the way i use now. Anyway, thanks for your share.

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

* [RFC] Kernel API
@ 2012-04-14  3:27   ` harryxiyou
From: harryxiyou @ 2012-04-14  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Jonathan Neusch?fer
<j.neuschaefer@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:09:22AM +0800, harryxiyou wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to know how i can get all the Kernel APIs, which i can call
>> ones i need in my
>> Kernel Modules. Sometimes, i wanna use some Kenrel APIS as the userspace i
>> can use 'man api', which i can understand it and use it. But i have
>> not find the way
>> to search a Kernel API easily. Cloud anyone give me some advices?
>
> The build scripts will generate man pages for you if you run "make
> mandocs" (see the output of "make help" for more information).

It sounds well. I will try this way.

--
Thanks
Harry Wei