* Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-15 16:12 Thilo Fromm
From: Thilo Fromm @ 2012-05-15 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

I'm trying to remove an element from DISTRO_FEATURES (specifically
"ld-is-gold"), but I am unable to find the right spot to do it. The
distribution we're using (Angstrom, as it happens) sets this in
conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf. My machine configuration is the
wrong spot to modify DISTRO_FEATURES, since it will be processed
first. local.conf is not working, too.

So could anybody please tell me where I need to put my

DISTRO_FEATURES = "${@'${DISTRO_FEATURES}}'.replace('ld-is-gold',  '')}"

so it applies for the build?

Regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH

* Re: Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-15 16:23 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-05-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thilo Fromm; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Tuesday 15 May 2012 18:12:35 Thilo Fromm wrote:
> I'm trying to remove an element from DISTRO_FEATURES (specifically
> "ld-is-gold"), but I am unable to find the right spot to do it. The
> distribution we're using (Angstrom, as it happens) sets this in
> conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf. My machine configuration is the
> wrong spot to modify DISTRO_FEATURES, since it will be processed
> first. local.conf is not working, too.
>
> So could anybody please tell me where I need to put my
>
> DISTRO_FEATURES = "${@'${DISTRO_FEATURES}}'.replace('ld-is-gold',  '')}"
>
> so it applies for the build?

Unfortunately such hacks only work for variables that are not set within the
distro configuration, which is applied after local.conf.

Ultimately you shouldn't really do this. If you want to change distro policy
then you really ought to have your own distro configuration, or try to work
with the existing distro to fix whatever problem exists.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-15 16:44   ` Thilo Fromm
From: Thilo Fromm @ 2012-05-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hello,

>> I'm trying to remove an element from DISTRO_FEATURES (specifically
>> "ld-is-gold"), but I am unable to find the right spot to do it. The
>> distribution we're using (Angstrom, as it happens) sets this in
>> conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf. My machine configuration is the
>> wrong spot to modify DISTRO_FEATURES, since it will be processed
>> first. local.conf is not working, too.
>>
>> So could anybody please tell me where I need to put my
>>
>> DISTRO_FEATURES = "${@'${DISTRO_FEATURES}}'.replace('ld-is-gold',  '')}"
>>
>> so it applies for the build?
>
> Unfortunately such hacks only work for variables that are not set within the
> distro configuration, which is applied after local.conf.

I see. Fortunately I can require conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf in
my own distro config file.

> Ultimately you shouldn't really do this. If you want to change distro policy
> then you really ought to have your own distro configuration, or try to work
> with the existing distro to fix whatever problem exists.

It's a backwards compatibility thing: we're bound to gcc-4.5 (we have
kernel build issues with newer gcc versions; we're nailed to
linux-2.6.37 thanks to lack of support by Texas Instruments) which
fails to detect the correct version of binutils GOLD (LD would work)
and therefore misses critical features which break the build later on.
I won't, however, try to convince the Angstrom guys to further support
ancient toolchains and make gold optional again just because of TI's
laziness.

I'll try to set up a minimal config for a distribution based on
Angstrom, then, so I can fix up DISTRO_FEATURES. Thanks for your help,
Paul.

Regards,
Thilo

--

@ 2012-05-15 20:16     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-05-15 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 06:44:10PM +0200, Thilo Fromm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >> I'm trying to remove an element from DISTRO_FEATURES (specifically
> >> "ld-is-gold"), but I am unable to find the right spot to do it. The
> >> distribution we're using (Angstrom, as it happens) sets this in
> >> conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf. My machine configuration is the
> >> wrong spot to modify DISTRO_FEATURES, since it will be processed
> >> first. local.conf is not working, too.
> >>
> >> So could anybody please tell me where I need to put my
> >>
> >> DISTRO_FEATURES = "${@'${DISTRO_FEATURES}}'.replace('ld-is-gold',  '')}"
> >>
> >> so it applies for the build?
> >
> > Unfortunately such hacks only work for variables that are not set within the
> > distro configuration, which is applied after local.conf.
>
> I see. Fortunately I can require conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf in
> my own distro config file.
>
> > Ultimately you shouldn't really do this. If you want to change distro policy
> > then you really ought to have your own distro configuration, or try to work
> > with the existing distro to fix whatever problem exists.
>
> It's a backwards compatibility thing: we're bound to gcc-4.5 (we have
> kernel build issues with newer gcc versions; we're nailed to
> linux-2.6.37 thanks to lack of support by Texas Instruments) which
> fails to detect the correct version of binutils GOLD (LD would work)
> and therefore misses critical features which break the build later on.
> I won't, however, try to convince the Angstrom guys to further support
> ancient toolchains and make gold optional again just because of TI's
> laziness.

I think you are severely misinformed! Above issues (binutils-2.20/gcc-4.5
requirement and gold ld problem with Thumb) were already fixed. I've been
testing the builds with gcc-4.6 and binutils-2.22 for few weeks and even
gcc-4.7 with gold linker since last week. I don't know what layer you are
using, but you may need to update, if you are using meta-ti.

Otherwise, if your platform is not directly supported by meta-ti, please send
the bug report with the error message to meta-ti mailing list and I'll try to
address it.

As of linux-2.6.37 for your specific platform - this one I can't help with,
you would need to talk to your TI rep from the division that makes the
platform and convince them to provide support for newer kernels.

--
Denys

* Re: Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-15 20:19   ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-05-15 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Thilo Fromm

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 05:23:43PM +0100, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2012 18:12:35 Thilo Fromm wrote:
> > I'm trying to remove an element from DISTRO_FEATURES (specifically
> > "ld-is-gold"), but I am unable to find the right spot to do it. The
> > distribution we're using (Angstrom, as it happens) sets this in
> > conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf. My machine configuration is the
> > wrong spot to modify DISTRO_FEATURES, since it will be processed
> > first. local.conf is not working, too.
> >
> > So could anybody please tell me where I need to put my
> >
> > DISTRO_FEATURES = "${@'${DISTRO_FEATURES}}'.replace('ld-is-gold',  '')}"
> >
> > so it applies for the build?
>
> Unfortunately such hacks only work for variables that are not set within the
> distro configuration, which is applied after local.conf.

Well, while still being an ugly hack, this should still be possible using
local overrides... I.e. VAR_local in OE or VAR_forcevariable in OE-core/Yocto.
You may need to use immediate assignment to avoid circular dependency, though.

--
Denys

* Re: Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-16  5:31 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-05-16  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-16  8:30       ` Thilo Fromm
From: Thilo Fromm @ 2012-05-16  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello Denys,

>> It's a backwards compatibility thing: we're bound to gcc-4.5 (we have
>> kernel build issues with newer gcc versions; we're nailed to
>> linux-2.6.37 thanks to lack of support by Texas Instruments) which
>> fails to detect the correct version of binutils GOLD (LD would work)
>> and therefore misses critical features which break the build later on.
>> I won't, however, try to convince the Angstrom guys to further support
>> ancient toolchains and make gold optional again just because of TI's
>> laziness.
>
> I think you are severely misinformed! Above issues (binutils-2.20/gcc-4.5
> requirement and gold ld problem with Thumb) were already fixed. I've been
> testing the builds with gcc-4.6 and binutils-2.22 for few weeks and even
> gcc-4.7 with gold linker since last week.

You're right, gcc-4.7 works well in the current setup. gcc-4.5,
however, does not detect the right binutils version with the GOLD
linker. GOLD version output is:

GNU gold (GNU Binutils 2.22) 1.11

The configure logic of gcc-4.5 would extract "1.11", not "2.22", for
the version number. Since Binutils 1.11 is ancient, some features of
gcc-initial are not set up correctly (gcc thinks the linker does not
support the "hidden" attribute). This breaks the build of
eglibc-initial later on.

I overslept the whole thing and I guess I'll just provide a patch to
gcc-4.5's configure so the GOLD linker version is detected correctly
instead of setting up my own distribution config.

> I don't know what layer you are
> using, but you may need to update, if you are using meta-ti.

meta-ti does not provide any toolchain anywhere. I have a toolchain
issue. The issue is with gcc-4.5 from meta-oe/toolchain-layer in
combination with binutils-2.22 from
openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/.

Just in case you're curious, our layer structure is documented here:
<https://github.com/DFE/HidaV/wiki/Hidav-oe-layers>.

> Otherwise, if your platform is not directly supported by meta-ti, please send
> the bug report with the error message to meta-ti mailing list and I'll try to
> address it.

Which meta-ti mailing list are you talking about? There seem to be
many: this one, the arago lists, yocto-ti, ... And then again, it's a
toolchain issue (see above); meta-ti doesn't have toolchains.

> As of linux-2.6.37 for your specific platform - this one I can't help with,
> you would need to talk to your TI rep from the division that makes the
> platform and convince them to provide support for newer kernels.

I know, it's OK. We talked to TI a lot for quite a while, but our
realistic assessment from our TI experiences is that they'll never do
it. There are still a lot of issues with their old 2.6.37 kernel, TI
continually keeps breaking things. They don't have proper issue
trackers or mailing lists for communication with their developers.
From the reps and FAEs we'd get the occasional empty promise, but
that's it. Personally I think we went wrong with buying TI in the
first place.

Regards,
Thilo

--

@ 2012-05-16  8:34     ` Thilo Fromm
From: Thilo Fromm @ 2012-05-16  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hello, Denys,

>> > I'm trying to remove an element from DISTRO_FEATURES (specifically
>> > "ld-is-gold"), but I am unable to find the right spot to do it. The
>> > distribution we're using (Angstrom, as it happens) sets this in
>> > conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf. My machine configuration is the
>> > wrong spot to modify DISTRO_FEATURES, since it will be processed
>> > first. local.conf is not working, too.
>> >
>> > So could anybody please tell me where I need to put my
>> >
>> > DISTRO_FEATURES = "${@'${DISTRO_FEATURES}}'.replace('ld-is-gold',  '')}"
>> >
>> > so it applies for the build?
>>
>> Unfortunately such hacks only work for variables that are not set within the
>> distro configuration, which is applied after local.conf.
>
> Well, while still being an ugly hack, this should still be possible using
> local overrides... I.e. VAR_local in OE or VAR_forcevariable in OE-core/Yocto.
> You may need to use immediate assignment to avoid circular dependency, though.

Actually it would be easiest for me if the last 5 lines of
https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-angstrom/blob/master/conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf
would not be

DISTRO_FEATURES += "${LDISGOLD}"
LDISGOLD_arm = "ld-is-gold"
LDISGOLD_x86 = "ld-is-gold"
LDISGOLD_x86_64 = "ld-is-gold"
LDISGOLD = ""

but instead be

DISTRO_FEATURES += "${LDISGOLD}"
LDISGOLD_arm ?= "ld-is-gold"
LDISGOLD_x86 ?= "ld-is-gold"
LDISGOLD_x86_64 ?= "ld-is-gold"
LDISGOLD ?= ""

But anyways, I decided to fix the gcc-4.5-cross-initial build.

Regards,
Thilo

--

@ 2012-05-16  8:37   ` Thilo Fromm
From: Thilo Fromm @ 2012-05-16  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello Koen,

>> I'm trying to remove an element from DISTRO_FEATURES (specifically
>> "ld-is-gold"), but I am unable to find the right spot to do it. The
>> distribution we're using (Angstrom, as it happens) sets this in
>> conf/distro/angstrom-v2012.x.conf.
>
> Why aren't you using the angstrom release? That isn't using gold.

We're using angstrom-v2012.x.conf from the git HEAD since we want to
stay with latest and greatest for now. angstrom-v2012.x.conf is using
gold. It's OK, really, I think I can handle the gcc-4.5 configure
build problem.

Regards,
Thilo

--

@ 2012-05-16 20:55     ` R U Local
From: R U Local @ 2012-05-16 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Dear Thilo, Anyone else,
How did you get oe-core/Angstrom-v2012x to build a working system using a 2.6.37 kernel?
I'm in a similar position using TI AM3517. The latest angstrom is built around systemd which requires a 2.6.38 or better kernel.
I've had to reluctantly revert back to oe-classic and angstrom 2011.03.
Any hints on getting oe-core/Angstrom-v2012x working with a 2.6.37 kernel would be great.

Cheers Mike.

@ 2012-05-16 21:19       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2012-05-16 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM, R U Local <roystonvasey@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> Dear Thilo, Anyone else,
> How did you get oe-core/Angstrom-v2012x to build a working system using a 2.6.37 kernel?
> I'm in a similar position using TI AM3517. The latest angstrom is built around systemd which requires a 2.6.38 or better kernel.
> I've had to reluctantly revert back to oe-classic and angstrom 2011.03.
> Any hints on getting oe-core/Angstrom-v2012x working with a 2.6.37 kernel would be great.

I have had systemd work with 2.6.34 Koen has some options he mentions
you need to enable in kconfig

http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/recommended-kernel-config-options-for-a-modern-angstrom-system

* Re: Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-17  0:35         ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2012-05-17  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have had systemd work with 2.6.34 Koen has some options he mentions
> you need to enable in kconfig

Which udev?

--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br

* Re: Where do I override DISTRO_FEATURES?
@ 2012-05-18  7:42       ` Thilo Fromm
From: Thilo Fromm @ 2012-05-18  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello Mike,

> Dear Thilo, Anyone else,
> How did you get oe-core/Angstrom-v2012x to build a working system using a 2.6.37 kernel?
> I'm in a similar position using TI AM3517. The latest angstrom is built around systemd which requires a 2.6.38 or better kernel.
> I've had to reluctantly revert back to oe-classic and angstrom 2011.03.
> Any hints on getting oe-core/Angstrom-v2012x working with a 2.6.37 kernel would be great.

Angstrom uses linux-libc-headers-3.2 for user space ABI. It's a rather
dangerous hack, but it enables you to use 2.6.37 with a state of the
art user space. If you're curious just take a look at
<https://github.com/DFE/HidaV>, that's our layer stack. The wiki has
some documentation, too:
<https://github.com/DFE/HidaV/wiki/Hidav-oe-layers>.

Basically we use everything from meta-ti, meta-oe + meta-angstrom, and
oe-core (let's not talk about meta-java ;) ). We just stick it
together in meta-hidav, and so far angstrom-v2012.x works for us.

Regards,
Thilo