From: Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>
To: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
Cc: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>
Subject: Re: UEFI Secure boot using qemu-kvm
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:15:03 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 06:34:05PM +0100, James Bottomley wrote:

> The purpose of this email is to widen the pool of people who are playing
> with UEFI Secure boot.  The Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
> have been looking into this because it turns out to be rather difficult
> to lay your hands on real UEFI Secure Boot enabled hardware.

http://tunnelmountain.net/ is the canonical source, but I believe that
these are now out of stock and waiting for Intel to finish the
firmware for the replacement.

> The current state is that I've managed to lock down the secure boot
> virtual platform with my own PK and KEK and verified that I can generate
> signed efi binaries that will run on it (and that it will refuse to run
> unsigned efi binaries).  Finally I've demonstrated that I can sign
> elilo.efi (this has to be built specially because of the bug in gnu-efi)
> and have it boot an unsigned linux kernel when the platform is in secure
> mode (I've booted up to an initrd root prompt).

It's probably worth noting that booting unsigned kernels violates the
expectations of various vendors
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848062%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
would be unnecessary if you're supporting unsigned kernels, for
example). There's no public cross-vendor guidance on this, but I'm
trying to get that rectified.

As well as sbsign there's also https://github.com/vathpela/pesign for
anyone stuck relying on nss rather than openssl for awkward regulatory
reasons.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org