From: Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net>
To: lm-sensors@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [lm-sensors] GA-Z77X-UD3H with ITE IT8728F, modprobe it87 freezes system
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:31:24 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 06:10:43PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Guenter, Stevie,

> > > I only see these lines: [  265.408976] it87: Found IT8728F chip at 0xa30,
> > > revision 1 [  265.410655] it87: Beeping is supported [  265.411583] it87:
> > > Writing value 0x37 to register 0x0c [  265.423124] it87: Writing value
> > > 0x13 to register 0x00
> > >
> > Jean,
> >
> > it87_write_value(data, IT87_REG_CONFIG, (it87_read_value(data,
> > IT87_REG_CONFIG) & 0x36) | (update_vbat ? 0x41 : 0x01));
> >
> > Unless I am missing something, the above code enables interrupts by clearing
> > bit 3. In combination with having bit 1 set, this means that SMI# interrupts
> > will be enabled. Default value for the register, at least for IT8721F and
> > IT8718F, is 0x18.
>
> The meaning of all bits in this register, and its default value, did not
> change since the IT8705F, at least up to the IT8721F. I do not have the
> datasheet for the IT8728F, do I cannot comment on that. Maybe something
> changed for that chip, or - more likely - it is wired or configured in an
> unusual way on Stevie's board.

I suspect the latter. The meanings did not change for IT8782F and IT8783E/F
either, so there is no reason to believe that IT8728F would be different.

> A bit of archeology teaches us that the mysterious 0x36 mask comes from this
> commit 8 years ago:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tglx/history.git;a=commitdiff;h0678638d86ea855f89fe5c799d146af7a75b64e
>
> Before that the mask was 0xb7, which wasn't that different given that bit 7
> always reads back 0, and bit 0 is about be set anyway. I think 0x80 was
> removed to avoid an unlikely double-reset of the chip when the module is
> loaded with reset=1.
>
> The 0xb7 is from the very first version of the it87 driver by Christophe
> Gauthron 11 years ago. I have no idea why bit 3 was explicitly cleared back
> then.

Oversight, maybe, or the bit name was confusing.

It doesn't make much sense to enable SMI interrupts while keeping global
interrupts disabled. We may just have been lucky to never hit this problem.

> > Replacing the 0x36 mask above with 0x3e might possibly solve the problem.
>
> Indeed. I'm not too sure what to do about bit 5, BTW, it might be
> self-clearing as bit 7.

I'd keep it as-is. Not worth trying to solve a problem which may not exist.

Guenter