From: Mike Turquette <mturquette@ti.com>
To: linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Device tree binding for DVFS table
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:25:32 +0000	[thread overview]

On 20120713-13:34, Peter De Schrijver wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>

> > Peter,
> >
> > I agree with your observations in general, but I think some specificity
> > is needed:
> >
> > > + frequency/voltage relationships
> >
> > We should be clear that the voltage does NOT belong to the clock, but to
> > the device/module/IP block that consumes that clock.  This is an
> > important detail since it means that a clock does not have a
> > corresponding table of voltages (e.g. one table per clock), but instead
> > a device has a table of voltages corresponding to each clock.
> >

> Or the other way around, a table of clock frequencies, 1 for each voltage.

ACK

You said what I meant to say.  Some previous iterations of an
omap-specific dvfs api tried to use voltage as the unique key for
accessing frequency/voltage tables, and that can get really ugly for a
variety of reasons.  Plus device drivers typically request performance
in Hertz (e.g. clk_set_rate), so exposing a voltage-centric interface to
them is generally useless.

The OPP library does some of this right (drivers/base/power/opp.c).  It
keeps a list of tables on a per-device bases, which is a big step in the
right direction.  Unfortunately it is lacking in other areas, such as
not specifying which clock corresponds to the to table.  Thus a device
can only have one table and that table does not encode any information
about which clock to use (which is important for devices that use a mux
to change rate).  The dvfs DT bindings should not repeat those mistakes.

> > This is very necessary when a single clock drives multiple devices which
> > are driven by separate voltage rails.
> >

> Ah ok. How does this work in practice? A device can only run at a given clock
> rate if all the rails are at a certain voltage?

More like an adjustable rate clock higher up the tree affects the rate
of multiple devices downstream, and those devices happen to be on
separate rails.  Either way I think that the design should account for
this possibility.

Regards,
Mike

From: mturquette@ti.com (Mike Turquette)