From: Antonio Quartulli <ordex@autistici.org>
To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking
	<b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org>
Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batman majareta? I can batctl ping but not ping
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 09:58:17 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 02:34:15AM -0300, Gui Iribarren wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Antonio Quartulli <ordex@autistici.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 08:20:21AM -0300, Guido Iribarren wrote:

> >> from this particular node i ran previous report (colmena-casa) that
> >> was rebooted recently, L3 ping to all of the network had the same
> >> issue, (no replies for a minute or so) so i had the chance to
> >> "recreate" the situation several times.
> >> Turns out, a "batctl ll tt ; batctl l" on the nodes mentioned in the
> >> inconsistencies gave no output at all, so the previous pastebin report
> >> is in fact complete :P
> >> Looks like the inconsistency is being resolved locally between
> >> neighbours, without the need to contact the far end of the network
> >> (which is coherent with what's described in the wiki)
> >
> > Exactly! If the neighbour has the needed information, the node can directly get
> > answered without bothering the real destination ;)
> >

> >> In any case, AFAIR previous ocurrences of the bug didn't resolve by
> >> themselves (in a reasonable amount of time) so what I'm looking at now
> >> might be perfectly normal behaviour? (tt tables take some time to
> >> propagate?)
> >
> > Well, the log you posted is perfectly correct. You missed some OGMs, therefore
> > the node is asking for an update that he missed.
> >
> > it would be interesting to run batctl ll tt; batctl l all the time on the node
> > that usually experiences the "problem". The log should be not so big, unless the
> > bug happens.
>
> I admit i haven't left this running as instructed, but on the other
> hand, so far I haven't come across the original bug again, and a few
> days ago I asked Nico Echaniz which confirmed that he's not suffering
> it as previously.
> he does bump from time to time with [a few moments | a few minutes] of
> "nodes majaretas" (at first sight) but it resolves by itself
> quickly[*], which indicates normal behaviour, of missing OGMs and
> consequently a delay in TT table updating, as you explained.
>
> [*] "quickly" means under 15 minutes , at most. Previously, problem
> would never resolve by itself, being L3-unreachable for hours or days
> until manual reboot was done.
>
> In conclusion, so far so good, i think we can close this as fixed for
> lack of evidence stating the contrary, heh.
> I hope gioacchino managed to recompile ninux images and is having the
> same stableness as we do :)
>
> Gui

Hello Guido and thank you for reporting back your results :) However, even if
the "behaviour" is good (table gets recovered and everything starts working
again) it is a bit strange that it takes 15 minutes to do so.

If you accidentally see the bug, it would be interesting to get the log of the
"non-working" node and see why it is taking so long.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli