On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 04:13:53PM +0200, David Henningsson wrote: > It reminds me of the discussion we had about jack labelling (for HDA > or everyone? I do not remember), where we ended up having > 1) physical location (left side, internal, docking station) > 2) type (headphone, speaker) > 3) channel map (front, rear, c/lfe) > Maybe that's where this discussion is heading as well? I like the > idea of having the same TLV description for jacks, mixer controls > and PCM channels, maybe that could work for all but the most exotic > cases? > (Where exotic means unusual hw on both the pro-audio and the embedded side) Or perhaps what we want to do here is define the channel mapping in terms of saying "I'm connecting to this input/output" and then use the jack interface to describe all inputs and outputs rather than just jacks (making sure it's easy to see which ones can change state)?