On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:06:26 -0600 Chris Friesen wrote: > > Hi, > > I'm not really a filesystem guy so this may be a really dumb question. > > We currently have an issue where we have a ~1TB RAID1 array that is > mostly given over to LVM. If we swap one of the disks it will rebuild > everything, even though we may only be using a small fraction of the space. > > This got me thinking. Has anyone given thought to using the TRIM > information from filesystems to allow the RAID code to maintain a > bitmask of used disk blocks and only sync the ones that are actually used? > > Presumably this bitmask would itself need to be stored on the disk. > > Thanks, > Chris > > Something like this? http://neil.brown.name/blog/20110216044002#5 NeilBrown