From: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
To: "Frank Schäfer" <fschaefer.oss@googlemail.com>
Cc: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>, linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: qv4l2-bug / libv4lconvert API issue
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 14:32:39 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed 3 October 2012 12:22:48 Frank Schäfer wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Am 30.09.2012 11:54, schrieb Hans de Goede:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 09/28/2012 07:09 PM, Frank Schäfer wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> So you say "just remove this feature from qv4l2".
> >> I prefer fixing the library / API instead.
> >
> > No I'm suggesting to keep the feature to select which input format
> > to use when in raw mode, while at the same time disabling the feature)
> > when in libv4l2 mode. What use is it to ask libv4l2 for say YUV420 data
> > and then later ask libv4lconvert to convert this to RGB24, when you could
> > have asked libv4l2 for RGB24 right away.
>
> I assume the idea behind input format selction when using libv4l2 is to
> provide a possibilty to test libv4l2 ?

The main reason why I show all formats is that the driver reports all these
formats, so one should be able to select them in order to test the driver.

And I'm using libv4l2convert so that I can actually see a picture. For formats
like MPEG that are unsupported by libv4l2convert I just dump the 'image' as is.

It is counterintuitive if a YUV format is converted to a proper picture using
qv4l2 -r, but that it is all wrong with qv4l2.

I'm all for improving the library.

Regards,

	Hans