* am335x-evm nand flash support
@ 2013-05-29 14:19 Måns Andersson
From: Måns Andersson @ 2013-05-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Hi,
It seems that the linux-ti-staging kernel does not have support for nand flash on the am335x-evm board. I have tested both the default ti2013.04.00 tag and the latest from the ti-linux-3.8.y branch on the ti-linux-kernel* repository without luck.

Searching on google gives me the following patch for the linux-omap* kernel https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2624081/. Applying this patch (and the other two from the same series) on the ti-linux-kernel does not work either, there is probably some driver missing or configuration needed. Is there something trivial I've missed, or should I try to compile the linux-omap kernel with the above patches instead?

It seems that the linux-ti-staging kernel was not ready for prime time when it was selected as the default kernel for the am335x boards. Since the board bring up process differs between the 3.2 and 3.8 kernel (device tree) it would be really appreciated if there were working configuration examples for the development boards supplied by TI. Does TI have a public roadmap of when the 3.8 kernel will have full support for their own boards?

Thanks,
// Måns

*Ti-linux-kernel: git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git
Linux-omap: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git

* Re: am335x-evm nand flash support
@ 2013-05-29 18:31 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-05-29 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Andersson; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 02:19:14PM +0000, Måns Andersson wrote:
> Hi,

> It seems that the linux-ti-staging kernel does not have support for nand
> flash on the am335x-evm board. I have tested both the default ti2013.04.00
> tag and the latest from the ti-linux-3.8.y branch on the ti-linux-kernel*
> repository without luck.
>
> Searching on google gives me the following patch for the linux-omap* kernel
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2624081/. Applying this patch (and the
> other two from the same series) on the ti-linux-kernel does not work either,
> there is probably some driver missing or configuration needed. Is there
> something trivial I've missed, or should I try to compile the linux-omap
> kernel with the above patches instead?
>
> It seems that the linux-ti-staging kernel was not ready for prime time when
> it was selected as the default kernel for the am335x boards. Since the board
> bring up process differs between the 3.2 and 3.8 kernel (device tree) it
> would be really appreciated if there were working configuration examples for
> the development boards supplied by TI. Does TI have a public roadmap of when
> the 3.8 kernel will have full support for their own boards?

Måns,

There are few known gaps in linux-ti-staging 3.8 kernel compared to the old
PSP 3.2 kernel, as it relates to am335x. Moreover, ti2013.04.00 release was
specific to omap5. If you need am335x feature completeness now, you can always
use 3.2 kernel by setting PREFERRED_PROVIDER and PREFERRED_VERSION in your
config. Going forward, the gaps will be closed in mainline.

--
Denys