From: Konstantin Khomoutov <kostix+git@007spb.ru>
To: <justin.sathyanathan@accenture.com>
Cc: <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: GIt error
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:47:07 +0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:28:30 +0000
<justin.sathyanathan@accenture.com> wrote:

> For Below issue , O/S is Windows7.
[...]
> 1.Iam getting error attached when cloning of repository is done:

What error?

> 2.Also, when file is tried to be added,it gives error below:
>
> $ git add *
> fatal: unable to stat
> 'src/development_architecture/integration_application_proj
> ect_template/provider_archetype/provider_archetype/src/main/resources/archetype-
> resources/__rootArtifactId__-data/src/main/java/com/accenture/afpj/sample/skelet
> on/visitor/data/VisitorRepositoryJpaImpl.java': Filename too long
[...]

This is a limitation of Git for Windows: the standard Windows API which
works with unmangled filenames limits their length to 260 characters
while your particular entry is 262 characters long.

AFAIK, there's no clean/easy way to make use of "extended" Windows API
which requires mangling filenames by adding the "\\?\" to them.

You could read [1] for more details.

So it seems you have two options for now:

* Restructure the project.
* Use Git under Cygwin [2] which might not have this limitation
  (personally, I do not know whether it does).

P.S.

Please next time you ask consider doing two things:
* If you post your message to several groups, take care to mention this
  fact in each of them.
* Do not require anyone to do anything "ASAP" unless this claim is
  backed by your or your employer's wallet.

1. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247#maxpath
2. http://cygwin.com/packages/git/