From: Hugo Mills <hugo@carfax.org.uk>
To: Josef Bacik <jbacik@fusionio.com>
Cc: Martin <m_btrfs@ml1.co.uk>, linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: raid1 inefficient unbalanced filesystem reads
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:39:10 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:34:18AM -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:59:45PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > On kernel 3.8.13:
> >
> > Using two equal performance SATAII HDDs, formatted for btrfs raid1 for
> > both data and metadata and:
> >
> > The second disk appears to suffer about x8 the read activity of the
> > first disk. This causes the second disk to quickly get maxed out whilst
> > the first disk remains almost idle.
> >
> > Total writes to the two disks is equal.
> >
> > This is noticeable for example when running "emerge --sync" or running
> > compiles on Gentoo.
> >

> > Is this a known feature/problem or worth looking/checking further?
>
> So we balance based on pids, so if you have one process that's doing a lot of
> work it will tend to be stuck on one disk, which is why you are seeing that kind
> of imbalance.  Thanks,

   The other scenario is if the sequence of processes executed to do
each compilation step happens to be an even number, then the
heavy-duty file-reading parts will always hit the same parity of PID
number. If each tool has, say, a small wrapper around it, then the
wrappers will all run as (say) odd PIDs, and the tools themselves will
run as even pids...

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
  --- Startle, startle, little twink.  How I wonder what you think. ---