From: Arno Wagner <arno@wagner.name>
To: dm-crypt@saout.de
Subject: Re: [dm-crypt] some questions and FAQ suggestions
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 19:48:22 +0200	[thread overview]

My intuition is that performance questions are too volatile
to put into the FAQ. And to dependent on the actual details
of the target system, i.e. most people will actually have to
benchmark on their own set-up to find out what _they_ get.

<rant>
One thing is for sure, more layers do not make things better.
Hence I do not have any LVM set-up. A second problem with LVM
is that it complicates things vastly in case something goes
wrong and you need to do data-revocery. KISS applies.
(Personally, I think LVM is a complicated, intransparent
 monster that adds complexity where it is rarely needed...)

As to MD, I still use superblock format 0.90, because
assembling an array ist clearly the controllers job (i.e.
the kernels), hence I use it with kernel-level autodetection.
Several people have told me that was stupid, but my impression
of the newer superblock formats is that they are made by a
chaotic horde that had no clue what they wanted to achive,
increase complexity with out need and are generally messed
up and hence violate KISS. With 0.90 at least I can find
the data on disk manually if something breaks without
understanding some convoluted line of reasoning, so I will
keep using it until it breaks (which may well be never).
And 0.90 superblocks go into a place where they cannot
kill LUKS headerts, a definitive advantage.
</rant>

Arno

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 10:30:44PM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hi Arno, Milan, et al.
>

> I recently asked some questions[0],[1] over at the linux-raid list and
> some of them were about how things are when one stacks the typical DM
> layers (MD, dmcrypt, LVM) in different order, I guess most reasonable
> use cases would be either of these:
> physical medium -> MD -> LVM -> dmcrypt        -> filesytem
> physical medium -> MD        -> dmcrypt -> LVM -> filesytem
> or maybe even:
> physical medium -> MD -> LVM -> dmcrypt -> LVM -> filesytem
>
> Optionally having partitions in between phyiscal medium and MD - but I
> guess this shouldn't really change anything (correct me if I'm wrong),
> neither with respect to performance, nor with respect to functionality
> (i.e. how commands or techniques like TRIM, or barriers are passed
> through).
>

> Some discussion (especially about performance) with respect to the (old)
> fact that dmcrypt was single-threaded arose in [1].
> I asked Milan off list to share some light which he did[2,3] (thanks
> again).
>

> I think most of what he says should be added to the FAQ, for people that
> also search on this (perhaps referring those threads as well), like:
>
> Q1: Does dmcrypt work with DM/block device barriers and filesystem
> barriers?
> (AFAIU, these are different barrier technologies?)
>

> Q2: Are there any technological/functional/security issues when stacking
> dmcrypt with LVM and/or MD (at any order of these)?
> I.e. is TRIM supported in any stacking order? Are there any other
> subtle/major issues depending on the ordering of these? Or issues that
> could lead to data corruption or out-of-sync RAIDs, whatsoever.
>

> Q3: Are there any performance issues when stacking dmcrypt with LVM
> and/or MD (at any order of these), assuming that the different layers
> have the correct block/chunk/phsical extent alignment?
> (not sure whether, if unaligned to physical extents from LVM, would
> actually cause troubles or not?)
>
> There probably noting the thing about single/multi-threaded and that MD
> makes IO from one CPU, so that MD should always be below dmcrypt (for
> performance reasons at least).
>

> Milan noted that one should also tell how things were before these
> patches... I'd say it should be at least noted that this changed at one
> point... whether the situation before needs to described in-depth, I
> have no strong opinion.
>

> There are some questions of my MD questions I haven't yet gotten any
> real answers (especially how MD actually reads/writes data/parity
> blocks, i.e. how much is at least always FULLY read/written)... and I'd
> have basically the same question for dm-crypt (and I think it's not yet
> in the FAQ).
> So IMHO answering the following would be interesting:
>
> Q4: Depending on the chosen cipher/size/modes, which there a minimum
> block size that dmcrypt always fully reads/writes?

> [...]

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name
----
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first
method is far more difficult.  --Tony Hoare