On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:17:27 +0200 Willy Tarreau wrote: > Communication works two ways. I understand that to mean (at least) that for communication, every message must be both sent and received. So when constructing a message, it is important to think about how others will understand it. On a public email list there are an awful lot of "others", and it is very likely that any possible misunderstanding will be experienced by someone. I think it best to minimise opportunities for misunderstanding. > > Sure it can be hard for newcomers but I don't remember having read him > scold a newcomer. I think that is not relevant. He is scolding people senior developers in front of newcomers. That is not likely to encourage people to want to become senior developers. Anecdote: My son (in highschool) is doing a psych assignment where he is asking people to complete a survey which, among other things, asks about people fear/anxiety response to various situations (it is a fairly standard instrument I think[1]). Last few times he checked, the situation with the highest average score was "One person bullying another". Really, it isn't nice to watch. NeilBrown [1] e.g. http://horan.asu.edu/ced522readings/ced-fearquestionnaire.htm