On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 02:59:01PM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote: > On 11/13/2013 01:49 PM, Mark Brown wrote: > > No, with DT you can say that if there is no DT binding configuring > > a given thing (clock, regulator, GPIO or whatever) then no amount > > of module loading will ever cause it to appear - this is what the > > flag in question controls. > But we do have a binding for regulators, so wouldn't that flag always > be true? In theory. In practice people often add bindings for devices without including the regulators and then someone comes along and adds the regulators later, perhaps not even using a system with DT, and renders all existing DTs buggy. This is generally miserable for everyone so it's better if we're liberal in what we accept. > Perhaps you can suggest a name for the flag, and a specific set of > conditions when it will have specific values. That might help me > understand what you mean. Well, of_have_populated_dt() is essentially doing the same thing (probably, I don't know if it's set at quite the right time) - it's saying we have a DT. We could even change the users to check that as well if it's doing the right thing. > Are you confusing having a binding (schema definition) with having DT > content ("foo-supply" property)? No.