On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 09:07:21PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote: > > On Dec 10, 2013, at 8:19 PM, Imran Geriskovan wrote: > > > > Now the question is, is it a good practice to use "-M" for large filesystems? > > Pros, Cons? What is the performance impact? Or any other possible impact? > > Uncertain. man mkfs.btrfs says "Mix data and metadata chunks together for more efficient space utilization. This feature incurs a performance penalty in larger filesystems. It is recommended for use with filesystems of 1 GiB or smaller." That documentation needs tweaking. You need --mixed/-M for larger filesystems than that. It's hard to say exactly where the optimal boundary is, but somewhere around 16 GiB seems to be the dividing point (8 GiB is in the "mostly going to cause you problems without it" area). 16 GiB is what we have on the wiki, I think. > I haven't benchmarked to quantify the penalty. Nor have I. Hugo. -- === Hugo Mills: hugo@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk === PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk --- vi: The core of evil. ---