On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 02:59:55PM +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote: > On 03/11/2014 12:21 PM, Mark Brown wrote: > >>If you think that changing the two snd_soc calls to print errors > >>when anything bad happens then that would also be a good idea then > >>I can send a patch for that. > >That would be better, yes. > In my opinion it's better to pass the error on to the upper levels. > E.g. if userspace opens the PCM device and there is an IO error in > the startup callback then that error should be passed on to the > userspace application rather than doing a out of band error > reporting and adding a entry to the kernel log. It would, overall, be much better to be passing errors back. However what's actually happening now is I/O errors are routinely ignored and our error handling is somewhat shaky (and realistically it's hard to know what to do a lot of the time when I/O with the device is failing). Given that improving the diagnostics seems like it's going in the right direction, we can always remove this later.