On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:46:54PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote: [...] > > This should actually be > > menuconfig RAS > bool "Reliability, Availability, Serviceability features" > help > > ... > > if RAS > config RAS_TRACE > def_bool y > depends on ... > > See drivers/edac/Kconfig for an example. I don't use a explicit menu for RAS because I'm not sure if it is worth to add such a *heavy hammer* in the kernel tree. Since you suggest it, it is fine to me. > > RAS_TRACE should actually depend on all the code that uses it, or, it > should be selected by them. EDAC_MM_EDAC is not accurate enough and will > enable RAS_TRACE even for drivers which don't use the tracepoint(s). Maybe some drivers don't call trace_mc_event directly/indirectly, but edac_mc.c is the core of EDAC and must exist before any other drivers are loaded, which means whether the drivers call trace_mc_event or not, the trace interface in edac_mc should be there in advance. Do I miss something?