On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 10:03:19AM +0200, Carlo Caione wrote: > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote: > > Hi, > > Hi, > > > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Maxime Ripard > > wrote: > >> On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 04:02:38PM +0200, Carlo Caione wrote: > >>> The so called "system controller" in Allwinner A20 and A31 SoCs is > >>> multi-purpose controller that tries to add misc functionality to one > >>> memory region. > >>> In these SoCs it controls the internal SRAM partitioning but it also > >>> includes registers for chip versioning and NMI control. > >>> This patch adds the proper nodes in the DTS files and enable the syscon > >>> in the defconfig files. > >>> > >>> Even though the system controller includes also register for managing the > >>> NMI controller, these register are not mapped in the syscon since they > >>> are directly used and mapped by the NMI controller itself. > >> > >> Hmmm, what exactly do you want to achieve with this? > >> > >> The NMI controller won't be able to use it, since it's initialized > >> much earlier than syscon and regmap. > > This is what I meant with that phrase. NMI controller doesn't use the > syscon but we can use it for several other drivers. I'm sorry, but I believe this should be more handled by the soon-to-be drivers/soc "framework". > In fact the registers for NMI controller are excluded from the range > of syscon registers. Then you are lying in the DT :) > > I believe this will be used for toggling the SRAM mappings. (Am I right?) > > Definitely right. > > > The second register toggles mappings for MUSB FIFO, EMAC, and a few of > > the other IP blocks we currently don't support. > > Not yet :) I wonder how other SoCs are actually handling this mapping between CPU & DMA vs device of some SRAMs. Did you look at this? > >> Moreover, the A31 doesn't seem to have this system controller, or at > >> least this overlap. > > I admit that I didn't check the A31 manual but I trusted the wiki page > at http://linux-sunxi.org/SRAM_Controller and > http://linux-sunxi.org/A31/Memory_map > > > There should be something similar, as does the A23. There is no overlap AFAIK. > > I agree and will check also A23. > > >> And since on the A20, registers seem to have one usage only, so I > >> guess we can just split this IP into several nodes, just like we did > >> with the NMI. > > > > As stated above, the second register toggles SRAM mappings for at most > > 4 SRAM blocks (for EMAC, MUSB, ACE, ISP). > > > > syscon would be a good way to share this register among the various drivers. > > We do not toggle it in the current EMAC driver. The driver seems to assume > > it is setup by the bootloader, and on the A20, it seems to be mapped to > > EMAC by default. > > > > The MUSB glue layer driver must toggle this. > > This is exactly why I wrote these patches. I started hacking / > studying your MUSB driver and I think that using syscon is a better > way to manage these registers instead of mapping them in several > drivers also because most of the time a single register has to be used > by multiple drivers (i.e. SRAM_CTL1_CFG is used for USB, EMAC, > etc...) > > > I think this approach is better than all the individual drivers mapping > > the registers and toggling a single bit. In fact I did something similar > > when working on preliminary musb support. I agree with that. Maxime -- Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering http://free-electrons.com