On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 02:36:27PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote: > On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Laurent Pinchart > wrote: > > We have seen several review, test and documentation procedures being developed > > for different subsystems in the recent past (two examples are the DRM i915 > > driver API test rules explained by Daniel Vetter in a reply to this mail > > thread, and the V4L test suite and documentation procedure) but I have seen > > little effort to consolidate good practice rules. The kernel would certainly > > benefit from both sharing information about how various subsystems tackle the > > API review/test/documentation problem. > > > > Forcing all subsystems to adhere and enforce a superset of rules would likely > > put too much burden on maintainers and developers, especially for the smaller > > subsystems. However, I believe we could help by gathering and consolidating > > the good practice rules in a single location under Documentation/. Maintainers > > could then implement those rules (or a subset thereof) without having to > > reinvent the wheel. Rules such as "return -EINVAL when a reserved parameter is > > set" are not complex to implement in code, the real challenge is to implement > > them in the brain of all developers and reviewers. > > I'd be very interested in a discussions about existing best practices > already developed in different subsystems and figuring out what > minimal standards we should requires across the board. +1 I'd like to have some procedures for my subsystem as well and was wondering what other people have experienced so far. I already started digging and trying to find a scheme where that stuff could be collected. Never got too far sadly :(