On Thu, 29 May 2014 07:52:02 +0200 forumscollective@gmail.com wrote: > > I doubt there is a difference between Ubuntu and Arch here. > > > > The array should show "active" in "mdadm --detail" output for 200ms after the > > last write, and then switch to 'clean'. > > So if you are writing every 100ms, it will always say "active". > > > > NeilBrown > > For some reason this array has never shown Clean status, only Active. > > It isn't written to other than when NFS mounted for adding new content. > > Any idea what would cause constant writing - I presume from what I see that the initial array sync completed?-- Hmmm... Do the numbers in /proc/diskstats change? watch -d 'grep md0 /proc/diskstats' What is in /sys/block/md0/md/safe_mode_delay? What if you change that to a different number (it is in seconds and can be fractional)? What kernel version (uname -a)? NeilBrown