On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 08:30:19AM -0400, Jeff Cody wrote: > On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 04:55:02PM +0800, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 05:53:49PM -0400, Jeff Cody wrote: > > It seems like neither type of user will get much mileage out of this > > feature. Is it really necessary or did I miss a use case? > > > > Strictly speaking, it isn't required. But it makes sense for QEMU to > assign node-names to any unassigned node-names, because it does make > life easier for both humans and management software, and QEMU is the > only one that can always ensure that every BDS has a node-name. > > It is also nice for QEMU; we can now in future versions assume that > every BDS will always have a node-name, regardless if it has been > assigned by the user or not. > > And the usage of the node-names is strictly optional by the human or > management software user; neither is required to use the generated > node-names, and are feel to specify their own node-name. A user > specified node-name will prevent an auto-generated one from being > assigned for that specific BDS. Thanks for the explanation. I understand how auto-generated node-names will be used a bit better now. I think Eric and your arguments make sense. Stefan