On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 06:21:39PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote: > > Yeah, idle threads can be affected by the trampolines. That is, we can > > still hook a trampoline to some function in the idle loop. > > > > But we should be able to make the hardware call that puts the CPU to > > sleep a quiescent state too. May need to be arch dependent. :-/ > > OK, my plan for this eventuality is to do the following: > > 1. Ignore the ->on_rq field, as idle tasks are always on a runqueue. > > 2. Watch the context-switch counter. > > 3. Ignore dyntick-idle state for idle tasks. > > 4. If there is no quiescent state from a given idle task after > a few seconds, schedule rcu_tasks_kthread() on top of the > offending CPU. > > Your idea is an interesting one, but does require another set of > dyntick-idle-like functions and counters. Or moving the current > rcu_idle_enter() and rcu_idle_exit() calls deeper into the idle loop. > > Not sure which is a better approach. Alternatively, we could just > rely on #4 above, on the grounds that battery life should not be > too badly degraded by the occasional RCU-tasks interference. > > Note that this is a different situation than NO_HZ_FULL in realtime > environments, where the worst case causes trouble even if it happens > very infrequently. Or you could shoot all CPUs with resched_cpu() which would have them cycle through schedule() even if there's nothing but the idle thread to run. That guarantees they'll go to sleep again in a !trampoline. But I still very much hate the polling stuff... Can't we abuse the preempt notifiers? Say we make it possible to install preemption notifiers cross-task, then the task-rcu can install a preempt-out notifier which completes the rcu-task wait. After all, since we tagged it it was !running, and being scheduled out means it ran (once) and therefore isn't on a trampoline anymore. And the tick, which checks to see if the task got to userspace can do the same, remove the notifier and then complete.