* Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-05-13 13:50 Takashi Iwai
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-05-13 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

did anyone think of a meeting in this year?  AFAIK, a couple of good
candidates to tie with are:

- LinuxCon + KS will be at Chicago, USA (in August 18-22)
- Plumbers will be at Duesseldorf, Germany (in October 15-17)

Any other opportunities?  I'm not sure whether I'll be in the former
(due to private reason), but very likely I'll attend the latter.

And, if we hold a meeting, in which format?  I find the previous
year's meeting was nice; i.e. a kind of mini-summit that doesn't
conflict with other meetings is my preference.  But I'm open for other
options.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-05-13 14:43 ` Alexander E. Patrakov
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexander E. Patrakov @ 2014-05-13 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

13.05.2014 19:50, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> did anyone think of a meeting in this year?  AFAIK, a couple of good
> candidates to tie with are:
>
> - LinuxCon + KS will be at Chicago, USA (in August 18-22)
> - Plumbers will be at Duesseldorf, Germany (in October 15-17)

I will probably visit Plumbers.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-05-13 15:00 ` David Henningsson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Henningsson @ 2014-05-13 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

On 2014-05-13 15:50, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> did anyone think of a meeting in this year?  AFAIK, a couple of good
> candidates to tie with are:
>
> - LinuxCon + KS will be at Chicago, USA (in August 18-22)
> - Plumbers will be at Duesseldorf, Germany (in October 15-17)
>
> Any other opportunities?  I'm not sure whether I'll be in the former
> (due to private reason), but very likely I'll attend the latter.
>
> And, if we hold a meeting, in which format?  I find the previous
> year's meeting was nice; i.e. a kind of mini-summit that doesn't
> conflict with other meetings is my preference.  But I'm open for other
> options.

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Plumbers, and I think reserving a full mini-summit
day is a good idea.

I'm not planning to go to LinuxCon in Chicago.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-05-13 15:14   ` Handrigan, Paul
From: Handrigan, Paul @ 2014-05-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
On 2014-05-13 15:50, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> did anyone think of a meeting in this year?  AFAIK, a couple of good
> candidates to tie with are:
>
> - LinuxCon + KS will be at Chicago, USA (in August 18-22)
> - Plumbers will be at Duesseldorf, Germany (in October 15-17)
>
> Any other opportunities?  I'm not sure whether I'll be in the former
> (due to private reason), but very likely I'll attend the latter.
>
> And, if we hold a meeting, in which format?  I find the previous
> year's meeting was nice; i.e. a kind of mini-summit that doesn't
> conflict with other meetings is my preference.  But I'm open for other
> options.

During last years conference, we were talking about having it as a separate event.  We would like to host it here in Austin if possible.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-05-13 18:11 ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2014-05-13 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 05/13/2014 03:50 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> did anyone think of a meeting in this year?  AFAIK, a couple of good
> candidates to tie with are:
>
> - LinuxCon + KS will be at Chicago, USA (in August 18-22)
> - Plumbers will be at Duesseldorf, Germany (in October 15-17)
>
> Any other opportunities?  I'm not sure whether I'll be in the former
> (due to private reason), but very likely I'll attend the latter.
>
> And, if we hold a meeting, in which format?  I find the previous
> year's meeting was nice; i.e. a kind of mini-summit that doesn't
> conflict with other meetings is my preference.  But I'm open for other
> options.

Duesseldorf works best for me as well. I think last years format was fine.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-05-15 10:12 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-05-15 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 03:50:41PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> did anyone think of a meeting in this year?  AFAIK, a couple of good
> candidates to tie with are:

> - LinuxCon + KS will be at Chicago, USA (in August 18-22)
> - Plumbers will be at Duesseldorf, Germany (in October 15-17)

> Any other opportunities?  I'm not sure whether I'll be in the former
> (due to private reason), but very likely I'll attend the latter.

I don't have specific plans for anything, though I guess it's likely I
might be at KS.  If not Plumbers is going to be easiest.

> And, if we hold a meeting, in which format?  I find the previous
> year's meeting was nice; i.e. a kind of mini-summit that doesn't
> conflict with other meetings is my preference.  But I'm open for other
> options.

Me too.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-05-25 13:23 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-05-25 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 03:50:41PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> - Plumbers will be at Duesseldorf, Germany (in October 15-17)

If we want to do something at LPC we really ought to submit a proposal
if we can, the accepted miniconferences are already starting to be
announced.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-05-25 16:46   ` David Henningsson
From: David Henningsson @ 2014-05-25 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

If we want a full day that does not collide with anything else, I guess
Saturday 18th would be an option. Or Tuesday 14th if most people are
there for plumbers rather than Linuxcon?

@ 2014-05-25 18:50     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-05-25 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Henningsson; +Cc: alsa-devel, Mark Brown

At Sun, 25 May 2014 18:46:14 +0200,
David Henningsson wrote:

> If we want a full day that does not collide with anything else, I guess
> Saturday 18th would be an option. Or Tuesday 14th if most people are
> there for plumbers rather than Linuxcon?

I guess most of developers will attend LPC primarily.
Maybe we should apply to LPC mini conf no matter which date we'll
hold, so that we can get a room properly?

Takashi

@ 2014-05-27  8:54       ` David Henningsson
From: David Henningsson @ 2014-05-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel, Mark Brown

On 2014-05-25 20:50, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 25 May 2014 18:46:14 +0200,
> David Henningsson wrote:
>>
>> If we want a full day that does not collide with anything else, I guess
>> Saturday 18th would be an option. Or Tuesday 14th if most people are
>> there for plumbers rather than Linuxcon?
>
> I guess most of developers will attend LPC primarily.
> Maybe we should apply to LPC mini conf no matter which date we'll
> hold, so that we can get a room properly?

Sounds reasonable - you and Mark probably know that better than me.

For me it felt better with the full day we had last year, compared to
the standard 2 hour microconference time though.

@ 2014-06-11  9:43       ` Tanu Kaskinen
From: Tanu Kaskinen @ 2014-06-11  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

On Sun, 2014-05-25 at 20:50 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 25 May 2014 18:46:14 +0200,
> David Henningsson wrote:
> >
> > If we want a full day that does not collide with anything else, I guess
> > Saturday 18th would be an option. Or Tuesday 14th if most people are
> > there for plumbers rather than Linuxcon?
>
> I guess most of developers will attend LPC primarily.
> Maybe we should apply to LPC mini conf no matter which date we'll
> hold, so that we can get a room properly?

Has anything happened on this front?

To me it sounds a bit strange to simultaneously plan to have a whole-day
event, especially outside the official LPC dates as David suggested, and
also to try to get an official microconference accepted. They seem
mutually exclusive plans, unless we want to have two events... But I
don't really mind - no matter the day or format, I'll most likely be
there :)

--
Tanu

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-06-12 10:43         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-06-12 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanu Kaskinen; +Cc: alsa-devel, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

At Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:43:19 +0300,
Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-05-25 at 20:50 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sun, 25 May 2014 18:46:14 +0200,
> > David Henningsson wrote:
> > >
> > > If we want a full day that does not collide with anything else, I guess
> > > Saturday 18th would be an option. Or Tuesday 14th if most people are
> > > there for plumbers rather than Linuxcon?
> >
> > I guess most of developers will attend LPC primarily.
> > Maybe we should apply to LPC mini conf no matter which date we'll
> > hold, so that we can get a room properly?
>
> Has anything happened on this front?
>
> To me it sounds a bit strange to simultaneously plan to have a whole-day
> event, especially outside the official LPC dates as David suggested, and
> also to try to get an official microconference accepted. They seem
> mutually exclusive plans, unless we want to have two events... But I
> don't really mind - no matter the day or format, I'll most likely be
> there :)

yet.  Mark, how is the progress?

@ 2014-06-12 10:46           ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-06-12 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:43:33PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> > To me it sounds a bit strange to simultaneously plan to have a whole-day
> > event, especially outside the official LPC dates as David suggested, and
> > also to try to get an official microconference accepted. They seem
> > mutually exclusive plans, unless we want to have two events... But I
> > don't really mind - no matter the day or format, I'll most likely be
> > there :)

> yet.  Mark, how is the progress?

No, I didn't ask them - you aske what I did last year but I had been
under the impression that was so you could ask them about Dusseldorf.
I guess you want me to do it then?

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-06-12 10:56             ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-06-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

At Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:46:34 +0100,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:43:33PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>
> > > To me it sounds a bit strange to simultaneously plan to have a whole-day
> > > event, especially outside the official LPC dates as David suggested, and
> > > also to try to get an official microconference accepted. They seem
> > > mutually exclusive plans, unless we want to have two events... But I
> > > don't really mind - no matter the day or format, I'll most likely be
> > > there :)

> > yet.  Mark, how is the progress?
>
> No, I didn't ask them - you aske what I did last year but I had been
> under the impression that was so you could ask them about Dusseldorf.
> I guess you want me to do it then?

Gah, then a complete misunderstanding.  I just asked one LPC program
committee guy about the room availability and reported back to some of
you guys.  Mark, would you mind asking Angela again like the last
year?  I have to leave from net from now for a while...

@ 2014-06-12 11:00               ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-06-12 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:56:53PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:

> > No, I didn't ask them - you aske what I did last year but I had been
> > under the impression that was so you could ask them about Dusseldorf.
> > I guess you want me to do it then?

> Gah, then a complete misunderstanding.  I just asked one LPC program
> committee guy about the room availability and reported back to some of
> you guys.  Mark, would you mind asking Angela again like the last
> year?  I have to leave from net from now for a while...

OK, will do.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-15 18:35                 ` Tanu Kaskinen
From: Tanu Kaskinen @ 2014-07-15 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 12:00 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:56:53PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > > No, I didn't ask them - you aske what I did last year but I had been
> > > under the impression that was so you could ask them about Dusseldorf.
> > > I guess you want me to do it then?
>
> > Gah, then a complete misunderstanding.  I just asked one LPC program
> > committee guy about the room availability and reported back to some of
> > you guys.  Mark, would you mind asking Angela again like the last
> > year?  I have to leave from net from now for a while...
>
> OK, will do.

What's the status?

--
Tanu

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-16 15:12                   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-07-16 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanu Kaskinen; +Cc: alsa-devel, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

At Tue, 15 Jul 2014 21:35:20 +0300,
Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 12:00 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > > Gah, then a complete misunderstanding.  I just asked one LPC program
> > > committee guy about the room availability and reported back to some of
> > > you guys.  Mark, would you mind asking Angela again like the last
> > > year?  I have to leave from net from now for a while...
> >
> > OK, will do.
>
> What's the status?

I wonder what's going on, too...  Mark?

@ 2014-07-21 23:20                     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-07-21 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 05:12:17PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> > What's the status?

> I wonder what's going on, too...  Mark?

Ugh, this got buried under a bunch of other mail so I didn't see it -
sorry.  Anyway, I've sent several mails to Angela but just not got any
reply at all even to say it's not possible.  I just tried again,
hopefully we'll get somewhere :/

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-22  5:55                       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-07-22  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

At Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:20:54 +0100,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 05:12:17PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>
> > > What's the status?
>
> > I wonder what's going on, too...  Mark?
>
> Ugh, this got buried under a bunch of other mail so I didn't see it -
> sorry.  Anyway, I've sent several mails to Angela but just not got any
> reply at all even to say it's not possible.  I just tried again,
> hopefully we'll get somewhere :/

OK, thanks.

Of course it's possible to hold a meeting in a different place at
different time.  I can book a meeting room in my office in Nuremberg,
too, for example.  Let's see.

@ 2014-07-22 22:20                         ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-07-22 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:55:22AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Of course it's possible to hold a meeting in a different place at
> different time.  I can book a meeting room in my office in Nuremberg,
> too, for example.  Let's see.

Right, though that might get more difficult for people to organize
travel.  Trying to find some space ad hoc in Dusseldorf might also work.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-23  9:40                           ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-07-23  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-29  6:53                           ` David Henningsson
                                               ` (2 more replies)
From: David Henningsson @ 2014-07-29  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel

On 2014-07-23 00:20, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:55:22AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
>> Of course it's possible to hold a meeting in a different place at
>> different time.  I can book a meeting room in my office in Nuremberg,
>> too, for example.  Let's see.
>
> Right, though that might get more difficult for people to organize
> travel.  Trying to find some space ad hoc in Dusseldorf might also work.

While we're trying to sort out the location, could we have a quick poll
w r t which dates people prefer? Setting a date could help people book
travel to Düsseldorf.

For my own part, I'm pretty flexible.

--

@ 2014-07-29  7:04                             ` Alexander E. Patrakov
From: Alexander E. Patrakov @ 2014-07-29  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel, David Henningsson

29.07.2014 12:53, David Henningsson пишет:

> On 2014-07-23 00:20, Mark Brown wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:55:22AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>
>>> Of course it's possible to hold a meeting in a different place at
>>> different time. I can book a meeting room in my office in Nuremberg,
>>> too, for example. Let's see.
>>
>> Right, though that might get more difficult for people to organize
>> travel. Trying to find some space ad hoc in Dusseldorf might also work.
>
> While we're trying to sort out the location, could we have a quick
> poll w r t which dates people prefer? Setting a date could help people
> book travel to Düsseldorf.
>
> For my own part, I'm pretty flexible.

For me it is OK if it is either during LinuxCon Europe or during
Plumbers or immediately before/after. Basically, the requirement is to
be able to book a room in the hotel that works for all three events.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-29  8:39                             ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-07-29  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Henningsson; +Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, Mark Brown, alsa-devel

At Tue, 29 Jul 2014 08:53:59 +0200,
David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2014-07-23 00:20, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:55:22AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> >> Of course it's possible to hold a meeting in a different place at
> >> different time.  I can book a meeting room in my office in Nuremberg,
> >> too, for example.  Let's see.
> >
> > Right, though that might get more difficult for people to organize
> > travel.  Trying to find some space ad hoc in Dusseldorf might also work.
>
> While we're trying to sort out the location, could we have a quick poll
> w r t which dates people prefer? Setting a date could help people book
> travel to Düsseldorf.
>
> For my own part, I'm pretty flexible.

Me, too, fairly flexible.

@ 2014-07-29  9:16                             ` Tanu Kaskinen
From: Tanu Kaskinen @ 2014-07-29  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Henningsson; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, Mark Brown

On Tue, 2014-07-29 at 08:53 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2014-07-23 00:20, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:55:22AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> >> Of course it's possible to hold a meeting in a different place at
> >> different time.  I can book a meeting room in my office in Nuremberg,
> >> too, for example.  Let's see.
> >
> > Right, though that might get more difficult for people to organize
> > travel.  Trying to find some space ad hoc in Dusseldorf might also work.
>
> While we're trying to sort out the location, could we have a quick poll
> w r t which dates people prefer? Setting a date could help people book
> travel to Düsseldorf.
>
> For my own part, I'm pretty flexible.

I'm flexible too, any day is fine.

--
Tanu

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-29 19:31                               ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-07-29 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanu Kaskinen; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:16:59PM +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-07-29 at 08:53 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:

> > While we're trying to sort out the location, could we have a quick poll
> > w r t which dates people prefer? Setting a date could help people book
> > travel to Düsseldorf.

> > For my own part, I'm pretty flexible.

> I'm flexible too, any day is fine.

Me too, I'd prefer not to have a day that's a LPC day but it isn't the
end of the world.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-30  0:27                                 ` Paul Handrigan
From: Paul Handrigan @ 2014-07-30  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:16:59PM +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-07-29 at 08:53 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>
>>> While we're trying to sort out the location, could we have a quick poll
>>> w r t which dates people prefer? Setting a date could help people book
>>> travel to Düsseldorf.
>
>>> For my own part, I'm pretty flexible.
>
>> I'm flexible too, any day is fine.
>
> Me too, I'd prefer not to have a day that's a LPC day but it isn't the
> end of the world.

After LPC would be good if possible. Any thoughts?

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-30 13:51                                 ` Joël Krähemann
From: Joël Krähemann @ 2014-07-30 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, Tanu Kaskinen; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:16:59PM +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-07-29 at 08:53 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>>> While we're trying to sort out the location, could we have a quick poll
>>> w r t which dates people prefer? Setting a date could help people book
>>> travel to Düsseldorf.
>>> For my own part, I'm pretty flexible.
>> I'm flexible too, any day is fine.
> Me too, I'd prefer not to have a day that's a LPC day but it isn't the
> end of the world.

Project ends up due to frequency problems ...
ags.sf.net really has a need for participation or I'll give it up

Please tell me if you're interested in further development of it.

regards
Joël

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-31 13:09                                   ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-07-31 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Handrigan
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, pierre-louis.bossart,
	Mark Brown, liam.r.girdwood, David Henningsson

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 07:27:34PM -0500, Paul Handrigan wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014, Mark Brown wrote:

> >>I'm flexible too, any day is fine.
> >
> >Me too, I'd prefer not to have a day that's a LPC day but it isn't the
> >end of the world.
> >

> After LPC would be good if possible. Any thoughts?
Okay joining this bit late :)

I am planning to come. After/before LPC is fine with me.

So who else is attending and what are the topics being planned?

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-07-31 16:04                                     ` Dylan Reid
From: Dylan Reid @ 2014-07-31 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, pierre-louis.bossart,
	Paul Handrigan, Mark Brown, Liam Girdwood, David Henningsson

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Vinod Koul <vinod.koul@intel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 07:27:34PM -0500, Paul Handrigan wrote:

>> >Me too, I'd prefer not to have a day that's a LPC day but it isn't the
>> >end of the world.
>> >

>> After LPC would be good if possible. Any thoughts?
> Okay joining this bit late :)
>
> I am planning to come. After/before LPC is fine with me.
>
> So who else is attending and what are the topics being planned?

I'm planning on attending, any time and place close to LPC works for me.

-Dylan

@ 2014-08-06  8:13                             ` Tanu Kaskinen
From: Tanu Kaskinen @ 2014-08-06  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 11:40 +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On 07/23/2014 12:20 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:55:22AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> >> Of course it's possible to hold a meeting in a different place
> >> at different time.  I can book a meeting room in my office in
> >> Nuremberg, too, for example.  Let's see.
> >
> > Right, though that might get more difficult for people to organize
> > travel.
> >
> > Trying to find some space ad hoc in Dusseldorf might also work.
>
> I emailed some people from Duesseldorf and asked about ideas for such
> a location. Let's see.

Did you get any responses?

--
Tanu

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-06  8:15                               ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-08-06  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanu Kaskinen; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

On 08/06/2014 10:13 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 11:40 +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:

>>> Right, though that might get more difficult for people to organize
>>> travel.
>>>
>>> Trying to find some space ad hoc in Dusseldorf might also work.
>>
>> I emailed some people from Duesseldorf and asked about ideas for such
>> a location. Let's see.
>
> Did you get any responses?

Unfortunately not. I'll try again.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-06  9:29                                 ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-08-06  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanu Kaskinen; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

On 08/06/2014 10:15 AM, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 10:13 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

>> Did you get any responses?
>
> Unfortunately not. I'll try again.

Ok, they guys from ChaosDorf now got back to me. They need to make a
final discussion internally yet, but it appears to be working. I'll hear
back from them next Wednesday with a final decision.

The ChaosDorf is a CCC hack space that hosts all sort of user group
meetings and the like. Their website is here:

  http://chaosdorf.de/

I told them we'd be ~20ppl and they think they can accommodate that
number, and they also have a beamer. Or do we expect to be more?

They have a room layout and some pictures here:

  https://wiki.chaosdorf.de/Clubraum

I've never been there myself, so I can't say anything about it, but
usually, these Hackspaces are quite nice. They're no typical conference
rooms though.

What date would we prefer? There's an event on Tuesday night (~6pm), but
I guess we wouldn't need the room longer than that anyway, right?

If that location doesn't match our needs, let me know - I can still seek
for alternatives.

Daniel

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-06 13:42                                   ` Handrigan, Paul
From: Handrigan, Paul @ 2014-08-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Mark Brown, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

> On Aug 6, 2014, at 7:00 AM, "Daniel Mack" <daniel@zonque.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08/06/2014 10:15 AM, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> On 08/06/2014 10:13 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>
>>> Did you get any responses?
>>
>> Unfortunately not. I'll try again.
>
> Ok, they guys from ChaosDorf now got back to me. They need to make a
> final discussion internally yet, but it appears to be working. I'll hear
> back from them next Wednesday with a final decision.
>
> The ChaosDorf is a CCC hack space that hosts all sort of user group
> meetings and the like. Their website is here:
>
>  http://chaosdorf.de/
>
> I told them we'd be ~20ppl and they think they can accommodate that
> number, and they also have a beamer. Or do we expect to be more?
>
> They have a room layout and some pictures here:
>
>  https://wiki.chaosdorf.de/Clubraum
>
> I've never been there myself, so I can't say anything about it, but
> usually, these Hackspaces are quite nice. They're no typical conference
> rooms though.
>
> What date would we prefer? There's an event on Tuesday night (~6pm), but
> I guess we wouldn't need the room longer than that anyway, right?
It would be best that it is not during LPC as mentioned before.  Will Saturday after LPC work as well?

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-06 13:45                                     ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-08-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Handrigan, Paul
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Mark Brown, alsa-devel, David Henningsson

On 08/06/2014 03:42 PM, Handrigan, Paul wrote:

>> On Aug 6, 2014, at 7:00 AM, "Daniel Mack" <daniel@zonque.org> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately not. I'll try again.
>>
>> Ok, they guys from ChaosDorf now got back to me. They need to make a
>> final discussion internally yet, but it appears to be working. I'll hear
>> back from them next Wednesday with a final decision.
>>
>> The ChaosDorf is a CCC hack space that hosts all sort of user group
>> meetings and the like. Their website is here:
>>
>>  http://chaosdorf.de/
>>
>> I told them we'd be ~20ppl and they think they can accommodate that
>> number, and they also have a beamer. Or do we expect to be more?
>>
>> They have a room layout and some pictures here:
>>
>>  https://wiki.chaosdorf.de/Clubraum
>>
>> I've never been there myself, so I can't say anything about it, but
>> usually, these Hackspaces are quite nice. They're no typical conference
>> rooms though.
>>
>> What date would we prefer? There's an event on Tuesday night (~6pm), but
>> I guess we wouldn't need the room longer than that anyway, right?
> It would be best that it is not during LPC as mentioned before.  Will Saturday after LPC work as well?

I'll ask them.

Daniel

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-07 14:09                                     ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-08-07 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Handrigan, Paul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Mark Brown, Daniel Mack,
	David Henningsson

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:42:36PM +0000, Handrigan, Paul wrote:

> > On Aug 6, 2014, at 7:00 AM, "Daniel Mack" <daniel@zonque.org> wrote:

> >> Unfortunately not. I'll try again.
> >
> > Ok, they guys from ChaosDorf now got back to me. They need to make a
> > final discussion internally yet, but it appears to be working. I'll hear
> > back from them next Wednesday with a final decision.
> >
> > The ChaosDorf is a CCC hack space that hosts all sort of user group
> > meetings and the like. Their website is here:
> >
> >  http://chaosdorf.de/
> >
> > I told them we'd be ~20ppl and they think they can accommodate that
> > number, and they also have a beamer. Or do we expect to be more?
> >
> > They have a room layout and some pictures here:
> >
> >  https://wiki.chaosdorf.de/Clubraum
> >
> > I've never been there myself, so I can't say anything about it, but
> > usually, these Hackspaces are quite nice. They're no typical conference
> > rooms though.
> >
> > What date would we prefer? There's an event on Tuesday night (~6pm), but
> > I guess we wouldn't need the room longer than that anyway, right?
> It would be best that it is not during LPC as mentioned before.  Will Saturday after LPC work as well?
Plumbers starts Wed.. So tue can work too :)

Btw should we request a LPC track for backup.

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-12 15:12                                         ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-08-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Handrigan
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Mark Brown, Daniel Mack,
	David Henningsson

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:14:39AM -0500, Paul Handrigan wrote:
> >>It would be best that it is not during LPC as mentioned before.  Will Saturday after LPC work as well?
> >Plumbers starts Wed.. So tue can work too :)
> >
> >Btw should we request a LPC track for backup.
> >
> I believe it is too late to request a LPC track.
Checking the site again, looks like we can still make a request

> Tuesday would be good as well. Should we go with that since we may
> have a place for it?
I am okay either days.

Btw I didnt hear about the topics...

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-12 15:14                                       ` Paul Handrigan
From: Paul Handrigan @ 2014-08-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Handrigan, Paul,
	Mark Brown, David Henningsson, Daniel Mack

@ 2014-08-12 15:35                                             ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-08-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Peter Clausen, Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan, Mark Brown,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 05:38:23PM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> >>I believe it is too late to request a LPC track.
> >Checking the site again, looks like we can still make a request
My bad, wrong interpretation. Looks like new uconf are not accepted.

Mark, Takashi, can we get some leeway with organizers

> >>Tuesday would be good as well. Should we go with that since we may
> >>have a place for it?
> >I am okay either days.
> >
> >Btw I didnt hear about the topics...
> >

> If there is interest I'll prepare something about ASoC
> componentization, what's the status and where it is going.
That would be good.

I was planning to discuss Dynamic FW, effect API (yet again), more DSP
support esp on PCM side

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-12 15:38                                           ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2014-08-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul, Paul Handrigan
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Mark Brown, Daniel Mack,
	David Henningsson

>>> Plumbers starts Wed.. So tue can work too :)
>>>
>>> Btw should we request a LPC track for backup.
>>>
>> I believe it is too late to request a LPC track.
> Checking the site again, looks like we can still make a request
>>
>> Tuesday would be good as well. Should we go with that since we may
>> have a place for it?
> I am okay either days.
>
> Btw I didnt hear about the topics...

If there is interest I'll prepare something about ASoC componentization,
what's the status and where it is going.

- Lars

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-12 15:54                                               ` Alexander E. Patrakov
From: Alexander E. Patrakov @ 2014-08-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul, Lars-Peter Clausen, broonie, Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson, Paul Handrigan,
	Daniel Mack

12.08.2014 21:35, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 05:38:23PM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

>>> Checking the site again, looks like we can still make a request
> My bad, wrong interpretation. Looks like new uconf are not accepted.
>
> Mark, Takashi, can we get some leeway with organizers

>>> I am okay either days.
>>>
>>> Btw I didnt hear about the topics...
>>>

>> If there is interest I'll prepare something about ASoC
>> componentization, what's the status and where it is going.
> That would be good.
>
> I was planning to discuss Dynamic FW, effect API (yet again), more DSP
> support esp on PCM side

I can discuss rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (actually planned that for
LPC, but it got rejected), and/or a short talk about resampler quality
evaluation for PulseAudio.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-12 18:48                                         ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-08-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Handrigan, Vinod Koul
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

On 08/12/2014 05:14 PM, Paul Handrigan wrote:
> Tuesday would be good as well. Should we go with that since we may have a
> place for it?

I just got a final confirmation from the guys at Chaosdorf, and they say
we can have the room on Tuesday 14th from 10am.

Should I confirm that from our side as well?

Daniel

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-13  2:47                                           ` Arun Raghavan
From: Arun Raghavan @ 2014-08-13  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,
	Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown, David Henningsson

On 13 August 2014 00:18, Daniel Mack <daniel@zonque.org> wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 05:14 PM, Paul Handrigan wrote:
>> Tuesday would be good as well. Should we go with that since we may have a
>> place for it?
>
> I just got a final confirmation from the guys at Chaosdorf, and they say
> we can have the room on Tuesday 14th from 10am.
>
> Should I confirm that from our side as well?

++ from me!

-- Arun

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-13 16:34                                           ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-08-13 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,
	Mark Brown, David Henningsson

At Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:48:05 +0200,
Daniel Mack wrote:

> On 08/12/2014 05:14 PM, Paul Handrigan wrote:
> > Tuesday would be good as well. Should we go with that since we may have a
> > place for it?
>
> I just got a final confirmation from the guys at Chaosdorf, and they say
> we can have the room on Tuesday 14th from 10am.
>
> Should I confirm that from our side as well?

Yeah, Tuesday sounds good to me, too.  Can we book a room for the
whole day?

Mark, do you get no reply from Angela?  If so, we can go heading this
way.

@ 2014-08-13 16:55                                             ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-13 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 06:34:30PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Daniel Mack wrote:

> > On 08/12/2014 05:14 PM, Paul Handrigan wrote:
> > > Tuesday would be good as well. Should we go with that since we may have a
> > > place for it?

> > I just got a final confirmation from the guys at Chaosdorf, and they say
> > we can have the room on Tuesday 14th from 10am.

> > Should I confirm that from our side as well?

> Yeah, Tuesday sounds good to me, too.  Can we book a room for the
> whole day?

> Mark, do you get no reply from Angela?  If so, we can go heading this
> way.

I've not heard a thing from Angela, I was going to speak to the Linux
Foundation people in person next week in Chicago (I'll probably do that
no matter what since it's a bit concerning getting complete radio silence).

It'd be nicer to be in the same place as the rest of the conference but
OTOH we don't want to muck the Chaosdorf folks around so it might make
sense to just go ahead, I don't have a particularly strong preference
either way I guess.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-17 23:10                                               ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-17 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,
	Daniel Mack, David Henningsson

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 05:55:17PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 06:34:30PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > Yeah, Tuesday sounds good to me, too.  Can we book a room for the
> > whole day?

> > Mark, do you get no reply from Angela?  If so, we can go heading this
> > way.

> I've not heard a thing from Angela, I was going to speak to the Linux
> Foundation people in person next week in Chicago (I'll probably do that
> no matter what since it's a bit concerning getting complete radio silence).

> It'd be nicer to be in the same place as the rest of the conference but
> OTOH we don't want to muck the Chaosdorf folks around so it might make
> sense to just go ahead, I don't have a particularly strong preference
> either way I guess.

I just spoke to Angela - she was incredibly apologetic and said she
didn't get my e-mails, I guess I've been hit by the same filtering
problems that has been hitting Linus with some pull requests.  She said
we should be able to get something on Monday or Tuesday.

I don't mind which option we go with, should I carry on or should I tell
her we'll go with ChaosDorf?

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-18  8:15                                                 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-08-18  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,
	Daniel Mack, David Henningsson

At Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:10:21 -0500,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 05:55:17PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 06:34:30PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, Tuesday sounds good to me, too.  Can we book a room for the
> > > whole day?
>
> > > Mark, do you get no reply from Angela?  If so, we can go heading this
> > > way.
>
> > I've not heard a thing from Angela, I was going to speak to the Linux
> > Foundation people in person next week in Chicago (I'll probably do that
> > no matter what since it's a bit concerning getting complete radio silence).
>
> > It'd be nicer to be in the same place as the rest of the conference but
> > OTOH we don't want to muck the Chaosdorf folks around so it might make
> > sense to just go ahead, I don't have a particularly strong preference
> > either way I guess.
>
> I just spoke to Angela - she was incredibly apologetic and said she
> didn't get my e-mails, I guess I've been hit by the same filtering
> problems that has been hitting Linus with some pull requests.  She said
> we should be able to get something on Monday or Tuesday.

That's a good news!

> I don't mind which option we go with, should I carry on or should I tell
> her we'll go with ChaosDorf?

Well, speaking of my preference, staying in the same location (the
conference center) would be more practical.  But I don't mind much
either.

@ 2014-08-18  8:25                                                   ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2014-08-18  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,

On 08/18/2014 10:15 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:10:21 -0500,
> Mark Brown wrote:

>>> I've not heard a thing from Angela, I was going to speak to the Linux
>>> Foundation people in person next week in Chicago (I'll probably do that
>>> no matter what since it's a bit concerning getting complete radio silence).
>>
>>> It'd be nicer to be in the same place as the rest of the conference but
>>> OTOH we don't want to muck the Chaosdorf folks around so it might make
>>> sense to just go ahead, I don't have a particularly strong preference
>>> either way I guess.
>>
>> I just spoke to Angela - she was incredibly apologetic and said she
>> didn't get my e-mails, I guess I've been hit by the same filtering
>> problems that has been hitting Linus with some pull requests.  She said
>> we should be able to get something on Monday or Tuesday.
>
> That's a good news!
>
>> I don't mind which option we go with, should I carry on or should I tell
>> her we'll go with ChaosDorf?
>
> Well, speaking of my preference, staying in the same location (the
> conference center) would be more practical.  But I don't mind much
> either.

Yea, from a logistics point of view it would be nice to keep it in the same
location. On the other hand it doesn't seem to be that far away:
https://goo.gl/maps/ax9Oi

- Lars

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-18  8:33                                                     ` Daniel Mack
                                                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-08-18  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Peter Clausen, Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown
  Cc: Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, David Henningsson, Paul Handrigan

On 08/18/2014 10:25 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 08/18/2014 10:15 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> At Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:10:21 -0500,
>> Mark Brown wrote:

>>> I don't mind which option we go with, should I carry on or should I tell
>>> her we'll go with ChaosDorf?
>>
>> Well, speaking of my preference, staying in the same location (the
>> conference center) would be more practical.  But I don't mind much
>> either.
>
> Yea, from a logistics point of view it would be nice to keep it in the same
> location. On the other hand it doesn't seem to be that far away:
> https://goo.gl/maps/ax9Oi

Sure, logistically, it might indeed be better of course, and it wouldn't
be a problem to cancel the ChaosDorf thing I guess - it's still two
month in advance.

Let me know when we have a confirmed room at the conference venue, then
I can let the ChaosDorf people know.

Thanks,
Daniel

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-18 23:51                                                 ` Joël Krähemann
From: Joël Krähemann @ 2014-08-18 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander E. Patrakov
  Cc: alsa-devel, Lars-Peter Clausen, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen,
	Paul Handrigan, Takashi Iwai, broonie, Daniel Mack,
	David Henningsson

Am Dienstag, den 12.08.2014, 21:54 +0600 schrieb Alexander E. Patrakov:
> 12.08.2014 21:35, Vinod Koul wrote:

> > My bad, wrong interpretation. Looks like new uconf are not accepted.
> >
> > Mark, Takashi, can we get some leeway with organizers

> >> If there is interest I'll prepare something about ASoC
> >> componentization, what's the status and where it is going.
> > That would be good.
> >
> > I was planning to discuss Dynamic FW, effect API (yet again), more DSP
> > support esp on PCM side
>
> I can discuss rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (actually planned that for
> LPC, but it got rejected), and/or a short talk about resampler quality
> evaluation for PulseAudio.

What about pulseaudio preventing insane rates?

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-19  2:58                                                   ` Arun Raghavan
From: Arun Raghavan @ 2014-08-19  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joël Krähemann
  Cc: alsa-devel, Lars-Peter Clausen, David Henningsson, Vinod Koul,
	Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan, Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown,

On 19 August 2014 05:21, Joël Krähemann <weedlight@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 12.08.2014, 21:54 +0600 schrieb Alexander E. Patrakov:

>> > My bad, wrong interpretation. Looks like new uconf are not accepted.
>> >
>> > Mark, Takashi, can we get some leeway with organizers

>> > That would be good.
>> >
>> > I was planning to discuss Dynamic FW, effect API (yet again), more DSP
>> > support esp on PCM side
>>
>> I can discuss rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (actually planned that for
>> LPC, but it got rejected), and/or a short talk about resampler quality
>> evaluation for PulseAudio.
>>

> What about pulseaudio preventing insane rates?

Not sure what you're referring to, but the PulseAudio folks will be
around for you to talk to / heckle. :-)

Cheers,
Arun

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-19 17:29                                                   ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-08-19 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan, Mark Brown,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:15:13AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:10:21 -0500,
> Mark Brown wrote:

> > > I've not heard a thing from Angela, I was going to speak to the Linux
> > > Foundation people in person next week in Chicago (I'll probably do that
> > > no matter what since it's a bit concerning getting complete radio silence).
> >
> > > It'd be nicer to be in the same place as the rest of the conference but
> > > OTOH we don't want to muck the Chaosdorf folks around so it might make
> > > sense to just go ahead, I don't have a particularly strong preference
> > > either way I guess.
> >
> > I just spoke to Angela - she was incredibly apologetic and said she
> > didn't get my e-mails, I guess I've been hit by the same filtering
> > problems that has been hitting Linus with some pull requests.  She said
> > we should be able to get something on Monday or Tuesday.
>
> That's a good news!
>
> > I don't mind which option we go with, should I carry on or should I tell
> > her we'll go with ChaosDorf?
>
> Well, speaking of my preference, staying in the same location (the
> conference center) would be more practical.  But I don't mind much
> either.
+1

So please do confirm either :)

Now back to topics

I heard Lar's topic on componentization. Any other topics?

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-19 19:53                                                     ` Paul Handrigan
From: Paul Handrigan @ 2014-08-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014, Vinod Koul wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:15:13AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> At Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:10:21 -0500,
>> Mark Brown wrote:

>>> I just spoke to Angela - she was incredibly apologetic and said she
>>> didn't get my e-mails, I guess I've been hit by the same filtering
>>> problems that has been hitting Linus with some pull requests.  She said
>>> we should be able to get something on Monday or Tuesday.
>>
>> That's a good news!
>>
>>> I don't mind which option we go with, should I carry on or should I tell
>>> her we'll go with ChaosDorf?
>>
>> Well, speaking of my preference, staying in the same location (the
>> conference center) would be more practical.  But I don't mind much
>> either.
> +1
>
> So please do confirm either :)
>
> Now back to topics
>
> I heard Lar's topic on componentization. Any other topics?

I believe you mentioned Dynamic FW.  I think that would be a great topic.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20  4:21                                                       ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-08-20  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Handrigan
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Mark Brown,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 02:53:47PM -0500, Paul Handrigan wrote:
> >Now back to topics
> >
> >I heard Lar's topic on componentization. Any other topics?
>
> I believe you mentioned Dynamic FW.  I think that would be a great topic.
Yes thats on the list too :) Me and Liam will try to send RFCs before the
conference. At least on my side thats next todo after current mrfld driver
is done.

We have working code atm. For the folks who want to look at early state of
affairs, here are the trees:
Kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/sound.git dfw-3.15
Usermode: git://git.infradead.org/users/vkoul/dynamic_fw.git

Any other topics?

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20  5:48                                                         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-08-20  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan, Mark Brown,
	Daniel Mack, David Henningsson

At Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:51:09 +0530,
Vinod Koul wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 02:53:47PM -0500, Paul Handrigan wrote:
> > >Now back to topics
> > >
> > >I heard Lar's topic on componentization. Any other topics?
> >
> > I believe you mentioned Dynamic FW.  I think that would be a great topic.
> Yes thats on the list too :) Me and Liam will try to send RFCs before the
> conference. At least on my side thats next todo after current mrfld driver
> is done.
>
> We have working code atm. For the folks who want to look at early state of
> affairs, here are the trees:
> Kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/sound.git dfw-3.15
> Usermode: git://git.infradead.org/users/vkoul/dynamic_fw.git
>
> Any other topics?

OK, I gather the topics that have been proposed so far and added a few
that bubbled up in my mind below.  Feel free to edit and repost in the
thread.

thanks,

Takashi

===

Audio Miniconf 2014 Topics

- ASoC componentization (Lars)

- Dynamic FW (Vinod)
  Me and Liam will try to send RFCs before the conference. At least on
  my side thats next todo after current mrfld driver is done.

  We have working code atm. For the folks who want to look at early
  state of affairs, here are the trees:
  Kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/sound.git dfw-3.15
  Usermode: git://git.infradead.org/users/vkoul/dynamic_fw.git

- Effect API (yet again) (Vinod)

- More DSP support esp on PCM side (Vinod)

- Rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (Alexander)

- Resampler quality evaluation for PulseAudio (Alexander)

- Testing / QA (Takashi)
  How people do test?  Can we have some automation?
  (IIRC, openSUSE has some automatic audio test running on VM, but I
   forgot the details...)

- ABI/API documentation (Takashi)
  We're not good at this at all, obviously.  Let's define the priority
  to start working on.

- Control names (Takashi)
  It's wild west for now, everyone picks up a random funky name.

- Code removals (Takashi)
  There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
  recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20  7:02                                                           ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-08-20  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan, Mark Brown,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 07:48:33AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> ===
>
> Audio Miniconf 2014 Topics
>
> - ASoC componentization (Lars)
>
> - Dynamic FW (Vinod)
>   Me and Liam will try to send RFCs before the conference. At least on
>   my side thats next todo after current mrfld driver is done.
>
>   We have working code atm. For the folks who want to look at early
>   state of affairs, here are the trees:
>   Kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/sound.git dfw-3.15
>   Usermode: git://git.infradead.org/users/vkoul/dynamic_fw.git
>
> - Effect API (yet again) (Vinod)
>
> - More DSP support esp on PCM side (Vinod)
>
> - Rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (Alexander)
>
> - Resampler quality evaluation for PulseAudio (Alexander)
>
> - Testing / QA (Takashi)
>   How people do test?  Can we have some automation?
>   (IIRC, openSUSE has some automatic audio test running on VM, but I
>    forgot the details...)
I would be interested in this as well, some test framework for auto regression
checks would be great.

I think Mark would be at KS and can update if we can leverage something for
kselftest stuff being discussed there

> - ABI/API documentation (Takashi)
>   We're not good at this at all, obviously.  Let's define the priority
>   to start working on.
I think ASoC has grown a lot with DPCM etc making it very dynamic atm. So
yes it will help to add more

> - Control names (Takashi)
>   It's wild west for now, everyone picks up a random funky name.
yes, I think the current control names were too HDA specific. With DSP and
audio hub proliferation on SoCs/Codecs revisiting this would certainly be
great. Like how do I specify volume control for gain before a mixer, or gain
in capture BE which is different from the one on capture FE.

> - Code removals (Takashi)
>   There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
>   recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?

Configuration convergence:
>From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using CRAS,
Android using flinger. With DSPs and tons of configuration it doesn't bode
well to have multiple configuration for same stuff for the sound cards. Can
we talk about unifying the configuration at least. Sure OSes will have their
own ways to use, but from ALSA can we standardize configurations which
can be reused across.

And lastly, our users :)
Ask from PA, Android, ChomesOS folks??

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20  7:33                                                             ` Takashi Iwai
                                                                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-08-20  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan, Mark Brown,
	Daniel Mack, David Henningsson

At Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:32:37 +0530,
Vinod Koul wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 07:48:33AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > ===
> >
> > Audio Miniconf 2014 Topics
> >
> > - ASoC componentization (Lars)
> >
> > - Dynamic FW (Vinod)
> >   Me and Liam will try to send RFCs before the conference. At least on
> >   my side thats next todo after current mrfld driver is done.
> >
> >   We have working code atm. For the folks who want to look at early
> >   state of affairs, here are the trees:
> >   Kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/sound.git dfw-3.15
> >   Usermode: git://git.infradead.org/users/vkoul/dynamic_fw.git
> >
> > - Effect API (yet again) (Vinod)
> >
> > - More DSP support esp on PCM side (Vinod)
> >
> > - Rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (Alexander)
> >
> > - Resampler quality evaluation for PulseAudio (Alexander)
> >
> > - Testing / QA (Takashi)
> >   How people do test?  Can we have some automation?
> >   (IIRC, openSUSE has some automatic audio test running on VM, but I
> >    forgot the details...)
> I would be interested in this as well, some test framework for auto regression
> checks would be great.
>
> I think Mark would be at KS and can update if we can leverage something for
> kselftest stuff being discussed there

Yep, let's see :)

> > - ABI/API documentation (Takashi)
> >   We're not good at this at all, obviously.  Let's define the priority
> >   to start working on.
> I think ASoC has grown a lot with DPCM etc making it very dynamic atm. So
> yes it will help to add more
>
> > - Control names (Takashi)
> >   It's wild west for now, everyone picks up a random funky name.
> yes, I think the current control names were too HDA specific.

Actually, the current names are based on hardware in era before
HD-audio.  Even HD-audio doesn't fit fully with the current rule.

> With DSP and
> audio hub proliferation on SoCs/Codecs revisiting this would certainly be
> great. Like how do I specify volume control for gain before a mixer, or gain
> in capture BE which is different from the one on capture FE.
>

> > - Code removals (Takashi)
> >   There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
> >   recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?
>
> Configuration convergence:
> >From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using CRAS,
> Android using flinger. With DSPs and tons of configuration it doesn't bode
> well to have multiple configuration for same stuff for the sound cards. Can
> we talk about unifying the configuration at least. Sure OSes will have their
> own ways to use, but from ALSA can we standardize configurations which
> can be reused across.

I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as expected?

> And lastly, our users :)
> Ask from PA, Android, ChomesOS folks??

Yeah.  Let's throw a call for topic to relevant MLs when the schedule
and location is finalized.

@ 2014-08-20  8:41                                                               ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2014-08-20  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan, Mark Brown,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 09:33:05AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Configuration convergence:
> > From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using CRAS,
> > Android using flinger. With DSPs and tons of configuration it doesn't bode
> > well to have multiple configuration for same stuff for the sound cards. Can
> > we talk about unifying the configuration at least. Sure OSes will have their
> > own ways to use, but from ALSA can we standardize configurations which
> > can be reused across.
>
> I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as expected?
Chrome uses t but not Android due to licensing issues. What happend to
tinyucm?

--
~Vinod

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20 15:59                                                           ` David Henningsson
From: David Henningsson @ 2014-08-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, Vinod Koul
  Cc: Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, Mark Brown, Daniel Mack, Paul Handrigan

On 2014-08-20 07:48, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> - Testing / QA (Takashi)
>    How people do test?  Can we have some automation?

I run automated tests of the HDA codec parser code and has done so for
quite a while now. Not much has happened the last year, but I can talk
about it if anyone is interested. (It's a test framework around hda-emu.)

--

@ 2014-08-20 16:58                                                             ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:32:37PM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 07:48:33AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > - Testing / QA (Takashi)
> >   How people do test?  Can we have some automation?
> >   (IIRC, openSUSE has some automatic audio test running on VM, but I
> >    forgot the details...)

> I would be interested in this as well, some test framework for auto regression
> checks would be great.

> I think Mark would be at KS and can update if we can leverage something for
> kselftest stuff being discussed there

Not really, it's more about standardising the way tests are triggered
and reported.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20 17:01                                                                 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-20 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 02:11:07PM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 09:33:05AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as expected?

> Chrome uses t but not Android due to licensing issues. What happend to
> tinyucm?

The latest Google reference designs use something which is essentially
tinyucm - the configuration is mostly stored in an XML configuration
file which is read at runtime.  It's not consistent with what anyone
else uses.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20 17:03                                                               ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-20 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,
	Daniel Mack, David Henningsson

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 09:33:05AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Vinod Koul wrote:

> > Configuration convergence:
> > >From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using CRAS,
> > Android using flinger. With DSPs and tons of configuration it doesn't bode
> > well to have multiple configuration for same stuff for the sound cards. Can
> > we talk about unifying the configuration at least. Sure OSes will have their
> > own ways to use, but from ALSA can we standardize configurations which
> > can be reused across.

> I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as expected?

Right, the problems with alsa-lib licensing and the changes in the
configuration format have been a bit of a blocker - there are actually
some substantial deployments of the pre-merge configuration file format.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-20 17:16                                                               ` Dylan Reid
From: Dylan Reid @ 2014-08-20 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Paul Handrigan,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> in capture BE which is different from the one on capture FE.
>>

>> > - Code removals (Takashi)
>> >   There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
>> >   recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?
>>
>> Configuration convergence:
>> >From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using CRAS,
>> Android using flinger. With DSPs and tons of configuration it doesn't bode
>> well to have multiple configuration for same stuff for the sound cards. Can
>> we talk about unifying the configuration at least. Sure OSes will have their
>> own ways to use, but from ALSA can we standardize configurations which
>> can be reused across.
>
> I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as expected?
>
>> And lastly, our users :)
>> Ask from PA, Android, ChomesOS folks??
>
> Yeah.  Let's throw a call for topic to relevant MLs when the schedule

I'll be there and can talk about ChromeOS UCM usage.  I'm giving a
talk with an overview of ChromeOS's audio system at ELC on Tuesday at
12:15, but aside from that I'll attend the whole day.

@ 2014-08-21 11:51                                                       ` Alexander E. Patrakov
From: Alexander E. Patrakov @ 2014-08-21 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack, Lars-Peter Clausen, Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown
  Cc: Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, Paul Handrigan, David Henningsson

18.08.2014 14:33, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On 08/18/2014 10:25 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
>> On 08/18/2014 10:15 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Well, speaking of my preference, staying in the same location (the
>>> conference center) would be more practical.  But I don't mind much
>>> either.
>>
>> Yea, from a logistics point of view it would be nice to keep it in the same
>> location. On the other hand it doesn't seem to be that far away:
>> https://goo.gl/maps/ax9Oi
>
> Sure, logistically, it might indeed be better of course, and it wouldn't
> be a problem to cancel the ChaosDorf thing I guess - it's still two
> month in advance.
>
> Let me know when we have a confirmed room at the conference venue, then
> I can let the ChaosDorf people know.

I would also like to know what kind of presentation equipment (a
projector or a big TV) will be available. For me, this is important,
because TVs usually have no problems with color reproduction, and thus I
can show directly what matplotlib.pyplot.pcolormesh() produces. On a
projector, I would probably have to resort to other ways of presenting
functions of two real variables.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-26  1:47                                                                   ` Austin, Brian
From: Austin, Brian @ 2014-08-26  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Handrigan, Paul,
	Takashi Iwai, David Henningsson, Daniel Mack

On Aug 20, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 02:11:07PM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 09:33:05AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
>>> I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as expected?
>
>> Chrome uses t but not Android due to licensing issues. What happend to
>> tinyucm?
>
> The latest Google reference designs use something which is essentially
> tinyucm - the configuration is mostly stored in an XML configuration
> file which is read at runtime.  It's not consistent with what anyone
> else uses.

Those must be the qcom designs. They use a “tinyucm" that is xml based.

I would like to see if we could get a consistent UCM for Android/Chrome/etc.
Has this made it into the topics list?

[-- Attachment #1.2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-26  5:29                                                                     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-26  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin, Brian
  Cc: alsa-devel, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, Handrigan, Paul,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 01:47:22AM +0000, Austin, Brian wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> > The latest Google reference designs use something which is essentially
> > tinyucm - the configuration is mostly stored in an XML configuration
> > file which is read at runtime.  It's not consistent with what anyone
> > else uses.

> Those must be the qcom designs. They use a “tinyucm" that is xml based.

Yup.

> I would like to see if we could get a consistent UCM for Android/Chrome/etc.
> Has this made it into the topics list?

Seems like there's a lot of interest in discussing it so it should.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-26  6:21                                                       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-08-26  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Joël Krähemann, Austin, Brian, Lars-Peter Clausen,
	Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, Paul Handrigan,
	David Henningsson, Arun Raghavan, Dylan Reid, Daniel Mack,
	Alexander E. Patrakov

At Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:33:31 +0200,
Daniel Mack wrote:

> On 08/18/2014 10:25 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> > On 08/18/2014 10:15 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> >> Well, speaking of my preference, staying in the same location (the
> >> conference center) would be more practical.  But I don't mind much
> >> either.
> >
> > Yea, from a logistics point of view it would be nice to keep it in the same
> > location. On the other hand it doesn't seem to be that far away:
> > https://goo.gl/maps/ax9Oi
>
> Sure, logistically, it might indeed be better of course, and it wouldn't
> be a problem to cancel the ChaosDorf thing I guess - it's still two
> month in advance.
>
> Let me know when we have a confirmed room at the conference venue, then
> I can let the ChaosDorf people know.

So we've set the schedule?  Mark, did you get the final confirmation?

FWIW, below is topics (and comments) I gathered from the thread.  Just
edit over it and repost if anyone has an idea, correction or
suggestion.

thanks,

Takashi

===

- ASoC componentization (Lars)

- Dynamic FW (Vinod)
  Me and Liam will try to send RFCs before the conference. At least on
  my side thats next todo after current mrfld driver is done.

  We have working code atm. For the folks who want to look at early
  state of affairs, here are the trees:
  Kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/sound.git dfw-3.15
  Usermode: git://git.infradead.org/users/vkoul/dynamic_fw.git

- Effect API (yet again) (Vinod)

- More DSP support esp on PCM side (Vinod)

- Rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (Alexander)

- Resampler quality evaluation for PulseAudio (Alexander)

- Testing / QA (Takashi)
  How people do test?  Can we have some automation?
  (IIRC, openSUSE has some automatic audio test running on VM, but I
   forgot the details...)

  (Vinod) I would be interested in this as well, some test framework
  for auto regression checks would be great.
  I think Mark would be at KS and can update if we can leverage
  something for kselftest stuff being discussed there

  (Mark) Not really, it's more about standardising the way tests are
  triggered and reported.

- Automated tests of HDA codec parser code (David)
  I run automated tests of the HDA codec parser code and has done so
  for quite a while now. Not much has happened the last year, but I
  can talk about it if anyone is interested. (It's a test framework
  around hda-emu.)

- ABI/API documentation (Takashi)
  We're not good at this at all, obviously.  Let's define the priority
  to start working on.

  (Vinod) I think ASoC has grown a lot with DPCM etc making it very
  dynamic atm. So yes it will help to add more

- Control names (Takashi)
  It's wild west for now, everyone picks up a random funky name.

  (Vinod) yes, I think the current control names were too HDA
  specific. With DSP and audio hub proliferation on SoCs/Codecs
  revisiting this would certainly be great. Like how do I specify
  volume control for gain before a mixer, or gain in capture BE which
  is different from the one on capture FE.

- Code removals (Takashi)
  There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
  recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?

- Configuration convergence (Vinod)
  From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using
  CRAS, Android using flinger. With DSPs and tons of configuration it
  doesn't bode well to have multiple configuration for same stuff for
  the sound cards. Can we talk about unifying the configuration at
  least. Sure OSes will have their own ways to use, but from ALSA can
  we standardize configurations which can be reused across.

  (Takashi) I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as
  expected?

  (Mark) Right, the problems with alsa-lib licensing and the changes
  in the configuration format have been a bit of a blocker - there are
  actually some substantial deployments of the pre-merge configuration
  file format.

- ChromeOS UCM usage (Dylan)
  I'm giving a talk with an overview of ChromeOS's audio system at ELC
  on Tuesday at 12:15, but aside from that I'll attend the whole day.

- tinyUCM (Mark?, Brian?)
  The latest Google reference designs use something which is
  essentially tinyucm - the configuration is mostly stored in an XML
  configuration file which is read at runtime.  It's not consistent
  with what anyone else uses.

  (Brian) Those must be the qcom designs. They use a “tinyucm" that is
  xml based.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-26  8:42                                                         ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-26  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Joël Krähemann, Austin, Brian, Lars-Peter Clausen,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 08:21:38AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> So we've set the schedule?  Mark, did you get the final confirmation?

No confirmation yet but then it was LinuxCon all last week - I'm
expecting something this week.

> FWIW, below is topics (and comments) I gathered from the thread.  Just
> edit over it and repost if anyone has an idea, correction or
> suggestion.

I don't know if it's also worth talking about mapping channels through
DAI links in ASoC - I'm not sure anyone is intending to work on it in
the immediate term so I'd suggest putting it on the end of the list as
an "if we have time" kind of thing.

> - Code removals (Takashi)
>   There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
>   recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?

Linus was muttering about ISA sound card drivers.

> - tinyUCM (Mark?, Brian?)
>   The latest Google reference designs use something which is
>   essentially tinyucm - the configuration is mostly stored in an XML
>   configuration file which is read at runtime.  It's not consistent
>   with what anyone else uses.

>   (Brian) Those must be the qcom designs. They use a “tinyucm" that is
>   xml based.

IIRC Manta was using it as well, I think it was the first device to do
so.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-26  8:46                                                           ` Alexander E. Patrakov
From: Alexander E. Patrakov @ 2014-08-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Joël Krähemann, Austin, Brian, Lars-Peter Clausen,
	Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, Paul Handrigan,
	David Henningsson, Arun Raghavan, Dylan Reid, Daniel Mack

26.08.2014 14:42, Mark Brown write:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 08:21:38AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> - Code removals (Takashi)
>>    There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
>>    recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?
>
> Linus was muttering about ISA sound card drivers.

Maybe ADPCM support?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-26 10:11                                                           ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-08-26 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Joël Krähemann, Austin, Brian, Lars-Peter Clausen,
	Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, Paul Handrigan,
	Daniel Mack, Arun Raghavan, Dylan Reid, David Henningsson,
	Alexander E. Patrakov

At Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:42:20 +0100,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 08:21:38AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > So we've set the schedule?  Mark, did you get the final confirmation?
>
> No confirmation yet but then it was LinuxCon all last week - I'm
> expecting something this week.

OK, thanks.

> > FWIW, below is topics (and comments) I gathered from the thread.  Just
> > edit over it and repost if anyone has an idea, correction or
> > suggestion.
>
> I don't know if it's also worth talking about mapping channels through
> DAI links in ASoC - I'm not sure anyone is intending to work on it in
> the immediate term so I'd suggest putting it on the end of the list as
> an "if we have time" kind of thing.

I put in the list.

> > - Code removals (Takashi)
> >   There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
> >   recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?
>
> Linus was muttering about ISA sound card drivers.

Interesting, I thought Linus doesn't mind much about such "dead"
drivers.

> > - tinyUCM (Mark?, Brian?)
> >   The latest Google reference designs use something which is
> >   essentially tinyucm - the configuration is mostly stored in an XML
> >   configuration file which is read at runtime.  It's not consistent
> >   with what anyone else uses.
>
> >   (Brian) Those must be the qcom designs. They use a “tinyucm" that is
> >   xml based.
>
> IIRC Manta was using it as well, I think it was the first device to do
> so.

Below is the updated list.

Takashi

===
Audio Mini-Summit 2014 - Proposed Topics

[...]

  (Mark) Linus was muttering about ISA sound card drivers.

- Configuration convergence (Vinod)
  From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using
[...]

  (Mark) IIRC Manta was using it as well, I think it was the first
  device to do so.

- Mapping channels through DAI links in ASoC (Mark)

@ 2014-08-26 10:19                                                             ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-26 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Joël Krähemann, Austin, Brian, Lars-Peter Clausen,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 12:11:30PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 08:21:38AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > - Code removals (Takashi)
> > >   There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
> > >   recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?

> > Linus was muttering about ISA sound card drivers.

> Interesting, I thought Linus doesn't mind much about such "dead"
> drivers.

It was because they aren't automatically probeable without loading the
driver and taking a look at the hardware - if a distro wants to use them
it ends up having to load and unload the module.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-08-26 10:28                                                               ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-08-26 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Joël Krähemann, Austin, Brian, Lars-Peter Clausen,
	Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen, alsa-devel, Paul Handrigan,
	Daniel Mack, Arun Raghavan, Dylan Reid, David Henningsson,
	Alexander E. Patrakov

At Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:19:53 +0100,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 12:11:30PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Mark Brown wrote:

> > > Linus was muttering about ISA sound card drivers.
>
> > Interesting, I thought Linus doesn't mind much about such "dead"
> > drivers.
>
> It was because they aren't automatically probeable without loading the
> driver and taking a look at the hardware - if a distro wants to use them
> it ends up having to load and unload the module.

So he was grumbling about ISA sound card hardware design?  Then I
understand and agree well.  Though, the fact that it isn't
discoverable is same on many old embedded device drivers.  The
difference is whether it's used only in a custom kernel or in a
generic kernel by distros.

@ 2014-08-26 10:47                                                                 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-08-26 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Joël Krähemann, Austin, Brian, Lars-Peter Clausen,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 12:28:24PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:

> > It was because they aren't automatically probeable without loading the
> > driver and taking a look at the hardware - if a distro wants to use them
> > it ends up having to load and unload the module.

> So he was grumbling about ISA sound card hardware design?  Then I
> understand and agree well.  Though, the fact that it isn't
> discoverable is same on many old embedded device drivers.  The
> difference is whether it's used only in a custom kernel or in a
> generic kernel by distros.

Any embedded devices doing that are just broken - for embedded things
you do always have an enumeration of the devices even if it happens to
come from a data table in software.  For ISA there's no option.

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-09-02 17:53                                                       ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2014-09-02 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: alsa-devel, Lars-Peter Clausen, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen,
	Paul Handrigan, Vinod Koul, David Henningsson

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:33:31AM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:

> Sure, logistically, it might indeed be better of course, and it wouldn't
> be a problem to cancel the ChaosDorf thing I guess - it's still two
> month in advance.

> Let me know when we have a confirmed room at the conference venue, then
> I can let the ChaosDorf people know.

We've got a confirmed room from Linux Foundation for the Tuesday now!
Please be sure to thank the Chaosdorf folks but I think we do prefer the
on-site option?

* Re: Audio mini conference 2014?
@ 2014-09-03  5:17                                                         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-09-03  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: alsa-devel, Lars-Peter Clausen, Vinod Koul, Tanu Kaskinen,
	Paul Handrigan, David Henningsson, Daniel Mack

At Tue, 2 Sep 2014 18:53:28 +0100,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:33:31AM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
>
> > Sure, logistically, it might indeed be better of course, and it wouldn't
> > be a problem to cancel the ChaosDorf thing I guess - it's still two
> > month in advance.
>
> > Let me know when we have a confirmed room at the conference venue, then
> > I can let the ChaosDorf people know.
>
> We've got a confirmed room from Linux Foundation for the Tuesday now!

Great, thanks for updates!

> Please be sure to thank the Chaosdorf folks but I think we do prefer the
> on-site option?

Yes, I think so.

If everyone is happy with it, I'll wrap up the current proposals.

@ 2014-09-03 12:43                                                         ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2014-09-03 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: alsa-devel, Lars-Peter Clausen, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen,

@ 2014-08-26  3:26 Koul, Vinod
From: Koul, Vinod @ 2014-08-26  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin, Brian
  Cc: alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Tanu Kaskinen, Handrigan, Paul,

On 26 Aug 2014 07:17, "Austin, Brian" <Brian.Austin@cirrus.com> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> >> Chrome uses t but not Android due to licensing issues. What happend to
> >> tinyucm?
> >
> > The latest Google reference designs use something which is essentially
> > tinyucm - the configuration is mostly stored in an XML configuration
> > file which is read at runtime.  It's not consistent with what anyone
> > else uses.
>
> Those must be the qcom designs. They use a “tinyucm" that is xml based.
>
> I would like to see if we could get a consistent UCM for Android/Chrome/etc.
> Has this made it into the topics list?
I thought it was in the topic list sent by takashi. this is certainly something I plan to discuss :)

--
~Vinod