On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:36:38AM +0200, Philipp Zabel wrote: > Hi Maxime, > > Am Montag, den 11.08.2014, 19:33 +0200 schrieb Maxime Ripard: > > > Mostly because Maxime and I seem to have a completely different opinion > > > and nobody else argued one way or the other. > > > > Yep, mostly because I don't see how a generic approach can work. > > > > The existing reset-gpios property only provide the gpio to use, but > > some informations are encoded in the driver, such as the reset > > duration, or a reset sequence if any. > > The driver should provide the duration. How? This used to be in the code, and reset_control_reset doesn't take such argument. > I'd really like to see an example where sequencing is necessary. Well, if you have several reset lines, the sequencing between each might be important. > I agree that as soon as things get significantly more complicated than > pulsing a single GPIO, the reset-gpios binding is too limited. While the generic reset bindings are perfect for that. > Still, I'm not happy to mandate a separate gpio reset device for each > reset line if most devices are simple enough for it to work without. Well, it's pretty much already the case for other subsystems, such as regulator. I guess we can treat this as a legacy option, but allow the reset-gpio code to be a full driver of its own, if we need more advanced use cases? > What about using reset-gpios for the majority of simple cases and have a > separate gpio-reset-sequencer driver when multiple GPIO resets have to > be timed? I don't know. I feel like it should be in the driver itself, rather than in a generic layer. Maxime -- Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering http://free-electrons.com