On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 04:53:39AM +0000, Duncan wrote: > Hugo Mills posted on Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:13:49 +0100 as excerpted: > > > On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 12:05:33PM +0000, Holger Hoffstätte wrote: > >> So where does the confusing initial display come from? [I] don't > >> remember ever seeing this with btrfs-progs-3.14.2. > > > > Your memory is faulty, I'm afraid. It's always done that -- at > > least since I started using btrfs, several years ago. > > > > I believe it comes from mkfs creating a trivial basic filesystem > > (with the single profiles), and then setting enough flags on it that the > > kernel can bootstrap it with the desired chunks in it -- but I may be > > wrong about that. > > Agreed. It's an artifact of the mkfs.btrfs process and a btrfs fi df on > a new filesystem always seems to have those extra unused single profile > lines. > > I got so the first thing I'd do on first mount was a balance -- before > there was anything actually on the filesystem so it was real fast -- to > get rid of those null entries. Interesting. Last time I tried that (balance without any contents), the balance removed *all* the chunks, and then the FS forgot about what configuration it should have and reverted to RAID-1/single. I usually recommend writing at least one 4k+ file to the FS first, if it's bothering someone so much that they can't let it go. Hugo. > Actually, I had already created a little mkfs.btrfs helper script that > sets options I normally want, etc, and after doing the mkfs and balance > drill a few times, I setup the script such that if at the appropriate > prompt I give it a mountpoint to point balance at, it'll mount the > filesystem and immediately run a balance, thus automating things and > making the balance part of the same scripted process that does the > mkfs.btrfs in the first place. > > IOW, those null-entry lines bother me too... enough that even tho I know > what they are I arranged things so they're automatically and immediately > eliminated and I don't have to see 'em! =:^) > -- === Hugo Mills: hugo@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk === PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk --- Never underestimate the bandwidth of a Volvo filled --- with backup tapes.