On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 08:15:39AM -0700, Andy Grover wrote: > But in the meantime, do you have a use case or user story for the QMP > support that might help me understand better how it might all fit together? From my previous email: "administrator needs to migrate disk images to a new file system or storage devices without downtime." Here is some more detail about how that works: QEMU has a drive-mirror QMP command that copies the disk image to a new location while continuing to service I/O. In other words live storage migration, no downtime. A tool needs to connect to the QMP unix domain socket and issue the drive-mirror command. Then it needs to wait until the QMP events are raised signalling drive-mirror completion and it block-job-complete QMP command to atomically switch to the new image file (it is now safe to delete the old image file). Stefan