From: Aryeh Leib Taurog <vim@aryehleib.com>
To: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Reassembling RAID1 after good drive was offline [newbie]
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 12:20:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Robert L Mathews wrote:
> Your question is about how to reassemble them without a resync,
> which is understandable, but the reason md isn't doing that
> automatically is that it thinks they might be different.

> I personally would always do a resync in such a case. A flaky cable
> suggests that data on it is suspect, and this is one of the things
> RAID 1 is for: it allows you to copy clean data to suspect
> partitions.

> But I'm known to be data-paranoid. Other people may have different
> opinions/suggestions.

Thanks.  I tend to agree.  Would the resync just copy all the data
from the "good" drive back to the "failed" drive?  For diagnostic
purposes, it would actually be a lot more informative to compare the
two drives and see if there really is data corruption on one of them
or not.  Is there a way to do that?  If I were to demonstrate that the
data are in sync, I would want to reassemble without resync.

Also, in my situation, since for now I'm just using a pair of external
drives, I could easily imagine accidentally trying to assemble the
array when one of the drives is powered down.  Then this situation
would arise again without faulty hardware.  I suppose an 'assemble'
script could help protect against the latter case by checking first
that both devices are available.

Prudence notwithstanding, I do think there are valid cases for
reassembling this array without resync.  If there's a way to do that,
I'd still like to know.

With appreciation,
Aryeh Leib Taurog