On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 02:35:58PM -0600, Michael Roth wrote: > Quoting David Gibson (2015-01-18 23:15:28) > > On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 06:30:24AM -0600, Michael Roth wrote: [snip] > > > +/* generate a human-readable name for a DRC to encode into the DT > > > + * description. this is mainly only used within a guest in place > > > + * of the unique DRC index. > > > + * > > > + * in the case of VIO/PCI devices, it corresponds to a > > > + * "location code" that maps a logical device/function (DRC index) > > > + * to a physical (or virtual in the case of VIO) location in the > > > + * system by chaining together the "location label" for each > > > + * encapsulating component. > > > + * > > > + * since this is more to do with diagnosing physical hardware > > > + * issues than guest compatibility, we choose location codes/DRC > > > + * names that adhere to the documented format, but avoid encoding > > > + * the entire topology information into the label/code, instead > > > + * just using the location codes based on the labels for the > > > + * endpoints (VIO/PCI adaptor connectors), which is basically > > > + * just "C" followed by an integer ID. > > > > Hrm.. would it make sense to include here the qemu "id" value on the > > DRC device? That will make names which are matchable to specific > > elements on the qemu command line, which about as close an equivalent > > to a physical location as I can think of. > > I'm not sure I understand the suggestion. We do make use of the > drc->id values to generate this, though those don't really > correspond to "id"/DeviceState->id properties as specified on > the command-line. There's currently no plans to create the DRCs via > -device since the IDs are dependent on/chosen by the parent devices in > in this case (DRC IDs for PCI slots inherit/encode parent bus/controller > index for example). Did you have something else in mind? I guess I was thinking of building this location code from the DeviceState->id of the bus bridge (or whatever) which created the DRC slot. Basically giving the user a handle on which qemu parameter is related to this hotplug slot. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson