From: Mike Snitzer <snitzer@redhat.com>
To: Anand Jain <anand.jain@oracle.com>
Cc: Chris Mason <clm@fb.com>,
	dm-devel@redhat.com, lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org,
	Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM ATTEND]: Hot spare module ? And Btrfs volume management without mount
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:33:24 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jan 28 2015 at  5:45am -0500,
Anand Jain <anand.jain@oracle.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
>  now based on your advise, if my participation is confirmed, by march,
>  I would come up with a concrete proposal or an experimental code
>  to share results at the conference if needed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the proposal but..

This seems like such a niche issue I think it isn't ever going to get
traction.  Having a common pool of hot spares doesn't buy you much if
all the different volume managers were to experience a failure -- in
that case the sharing actively works against you (if you've only
accomodated for say 1 of the 3 different volume managers failing at any
one time; but if you have provisioned for worst case of all solutions
failing then what was the point of the exercise?).