* 3.19 on Nokia n900: audio quality awful
@ 2015-01-06 17:04 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,
	tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen, ivo.g.dimitrov.75

Hi!

In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.

In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.

Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
even more noise.

Any idea what could have caused it?

Thanks,
								Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.

In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.

Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
even more noise.

Any idea what could have caused it?

Thanks,
								Pavel

* Re: 3.19 on Nokia n900: audio quality awful
  (?)
@ 2015-01-06 17:25   ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:04:33PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
>
> In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
> quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
>
> Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
> settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
> could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
> even more noise.
>
> Any idea what could have caused it?

$ git bisect start
$ git bisect good v3.18
$ git bisect bad

that'll help find what caused it.

--
balbi

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 17:51     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

On Tue 2015-01-06 11:25:45, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:04:33PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
> >
> > In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
> > quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
> >
> > Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
> > settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
> > could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
> > even more noise.
> >
> > Any idea what could have caused it?
>
> $ git bisect start
> $ git bisect good v3.18
> $ git bisect bad
>
> that'll help find what caused it.

Telling someone to do hard and time consuming job that probably will
not succeed, instead of actually providing help. Very very funny.

									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 20:28       ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:51:15PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> On Tue 2015-01-06 11:25:45, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:04:33PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
> > >
> > > In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
> > > quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
> > > settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
> > > could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
> > > even more noise.
> > >
> > > Any idea what could have caused it?
> >
> > $ git bisect start
> > $ git bisect good v3.18
> > $ git bisect bad
> >
> > that'll help find what caused it.
>
> Telling someone to do hard and time consuming job that probably will
> not succeed, instead of actually providing help. Very very funny.

you're getting code for free, you're getting help for free. Not many
people have N900s lying around. Running a bisection is just politeness.

--
balbi

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 20:39       ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-06 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, ivo.g.dimitrov.75

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:51:15PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2015-01-06 11:25:45, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:04:33PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
> > >
> > > In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
> > > quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
> > > settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
> > > could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
> > > even more noise.
> > >
> > > Any idea what could have caused it?
> >
> > $ git bisect start
> > $ git bisect good v3.18
> > $ git bisect bad
> >
> > that'll help find what caused it.
>
> Telling someone to do hard and time consuming job that probably will
> not succeed, instead of actually providing help. Very very funny.

No, that was actually really a good advice. You should try to bisect it.
It doesn't take that long (I assume you are cross-compiling instead
of doing native builds), also Linux maintainers are generally doing
a very good job ensuring the tree is bisectable.

I would do it myself, but so far I never have set up my N900 to play
any audio and I don't have any reference points between "good" or "bad".

A.

From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-06 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

@ 2015-01-06 20:50         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

On Tue 2015-01-06 14:28:57, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:51:15PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > $ git bisect start
> > > $ git bisect good v3.18
> > > $ git bisect bad
> > >
> > > that'll help find what caused it.
> >
> > Telling someone to do hard and time consuming job that probably will
> > not succeed, instead of actually providing help. Very very funny.
>
> you're getting code for free, you're getting help for free. Not many
> people have N900s lying around. Running a bisection is just
> politeness.

Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?

Thanks for your very valuable help. I know how to do a bisection,
thank you.
									Pavel

PS: Unfortunately, N900 will not boot using nfsroot in 3.16+ at least,
and boot from MMC card is broken and has been for quite some time.

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 20:54           ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2015-01-06 14:28:57, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > > Telling someone to do hard and time consuming job that probably will
> > > not succeed, instead of actually providing help. Very very funny.
> >
> > you're getting code for free, you're getting help for free. Not many
> > people have N900s lying around. Running a bisection is just
> > politeness.
>
> Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?

why bring my employer into the discussion ?

> Thanks for your very valuable help. I know how to do a bisection,
> thank you.

then please do it.

> PS: Unfortunately, N900 will not boot using nfsroot in 3.16+ at least,
> and boot from MMC card is broken and has been for quite some time.

Then how do you know it changed from v3.18 to v3.19-rc ? Certainly you
ran v3.18 on N900 to verify that audio quality was better with that
kernel. Use the very same method during bisection.

--
balbi

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2015-01-06 14:28:57, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > > Telling someone to do hard and time consuming job that probably will
> > > not succeed, instead of actually providing help. Very very funny.
> >
> > you're getting code for free, you're getting help for free. Not many
> > people have N900s lying around. Running a bisection is just
> > politeness.
>
> Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?

why bring my employer into the discussion ?

> Thanks for your very valuable help. I know how to do a bisection,
> thank you.

then please do it.

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2015-01-06 14:28:57, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > > Telling someone to do hard and time consuming job that probably will
> > > not succeed, instead of actually providing help. Very very funny.
> >
> > you're getting code for free, you're getting help for free. Not many
> > people have N900s lying around. Running a bisection is just
> > politeness.
>
> Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?

why bring my employer into the discussion ?

> Thanks for your very valuable help. I know how to do a bisection,
> thank you.

then please do it.

@ 2015-01-06 20:57           ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-06 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, ivo.g.dimitrov.75

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> PS: Unfortunately, N900 will not boot using nfsroot in 3.16+ at least,
> and boot from MMC card is broken and has been for quite some time.

USB networking works fine with 3.19-rc3 and also MMC card rootfs.

What issues are you seeing?

A.

From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-06 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

@ 2015-01-06 21:57             ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

On Tue 2015-01-06 14:54:13, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > you're getting code for free, you're getting help for free. Not many
> > > people have N900s lying around. Running a bisection is just
> > > politeness.
> >
> > Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?
>
> why bring my employer into the discussion ?

Because you are speaking of getting help for free, and I don't
remember getting any useful help from you; so I'd like to know who do
you speak for.

> > Thanks for your very valuable help. I know how to do a bisection,
> > thank you.
>
> then please do it.

No, sorry, I don't think that would be reasonable use of my time at
this point. First steps are "confirm it happens on other N900 boards,
too", ruling out config issues at my part, and "try to get
verification from other development boards if they have same
problems", because most other boards are easier to work with.

									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 22:02               ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 10:57:44PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?
> >
> > why bring my employer into the discussion ?
>
> Because you are speaking of getting help for free, and I don't

are you not getting help for free ?

> remember getting any useful help from you; so I'd like to know who do

how come ? I gave you a very helpful list of commands which will direct
you at finding the root of the issue you found.

> you speak for.

for myself.

> > > Thanks for your very valuable help. I know how to do a bisection,
> > > thank you.
> >
> > then please do it.
>
> No, sorry, I don't think that would be reasonable use of my time at
> this point. First steps are "confirm it happens on other N900 boards,
> too", ruling out config issues at my part, and "try to get
> verification from other development boards if they have same
> problems", because most other boards are easier to work with.

you don't want to do due diligence with a bug *you* found, then there's
no way people can help you out. Sorry.

Good luck

--
balbi

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75

> > > Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?
> >
> > why bring my employer into the discussion ?
>
> Because you are speaking of getting help for free, and I don't

are you not getting help for free ?

> remember getting any useful help from you; so I'd like to know who do

how come ? I gave you a very helpful list of commands which will direct
you at finding the root of the issue you found.

> you speak for.

for myself.

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

> > > Now you are speaking for yourself or for TI?
> >
> > why bring my employer into the discussion ?
>
> Because you are speaking of getting help for free, and I don't

are you not getting help for free ?

> remember getting any useful help from you; so I'd like to know who do

how come ? I gave you a very helpful list of commands which will direct
you at finding the root of the issue you found.

> you speak for.

for myself.

@ 2015-01-06 22:08             ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaro Koskinen
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue 2015-01-06 22:57:30, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > PS: Unfortunately, N900 will not boot using nfsroot in 3.16+ at least,
> > and boot from MMC card is broken and has been for quite some time.
>
> USB networking works fine with 3.19-rc3 and also MMC card rootfs.

Does nfsroot work for you? USB networking works as a module but not
build-in. [Patch is available for this one.]

u-SD card seems to have similar problem. If I try it after boot, I can
access it ok, but using u-SD card for rootfs fails. If it works for
you, it would be interesting to know.

I'm loading zImage using 0xffff directly from the PC.

For the audio: this should do the trick:

root@n900:~# uname -a
Linux n900 3.18.0-omap3-69644-g0ed746d #837 PREEMPT Sun Jan 4 22:30:24
CET 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@n900:~# alsactl init
Found hardware: "RX-51" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
root@n900:~# cat /etc/debian_version
7.7
root@n900:~# mplayer /my2/*

(audio actually works).

I do have Pali's n900 changes applied. I guess I should try without
them. Let me know if .config would help you.

									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Tue 2015-01-06 22:57:30, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > PS: Unfortunately, N900 will not boot using nfsroot in 3.16+ at least,
> > and boot from MMC card is broken and has been for quite some time.
>
> USB networking works fine with 3.19-rc3 and also MMC card rootfs.

Does nfsroot work for you? USB networking works as a module but not
build-in. [Patch is available for this one.]

u-SD card seems to have similar problem. If I try it after boot, I can
access it ok, but using u-SD card for rootfs fails. If it works for
you, it would be interesting to know.

I'm loading zImage using 0xffff directly from the PC.

For the audio: this should do the trick:

root at n900:~# uname -a
Linux n900 3.18.0-omap3-69644-g0ed746d #837 PREEMPT Sun Jan 4 22:30:24
CET 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
root at n900:~# alsactl init
Found hardware: "RX-51" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
root at n900:~# cat /etc/debian_version
7.7
root at n900:~# mplayer /my2/*

@ 2015-01-06 22:27               ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-06 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:08:05PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2015-01-06 22:57:30, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:00PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > PS: Unfortunately, N900 will not boot using nfsroot in 3.16+ at least,
> > > and boot from MMC card is broken and has been for quite some time.
> >
> > USB networking works fine with 3.19-rc3 and also MMC card rootfs.
>
> Does nfsroot work for you? USB networking works as a module but not
> build-in. [Patch is available for this one.]
>
> u-SD card seems to have similar problem. If I try it after boot, I can
> access it ok, but using u-SD card for rootfs fails. If it works for
> you, it would be interesting to know.

I haven't tried nfsroot, but I've been using USB networking for ssh
for a couple of years without issues. I have g_ether as module.

Also I recently switched rootfs to u-SD card, and it (MMC) works fine
as builtin.

But I'm mounting it from userspace (using builtin initramfs inside
zImage), with a poll loop that waits for a device to appear. Maybe if you
do it from kernel you need to use root wait/delay etc. options?

> I'm loading zImage using 0xffff directly from the PC.

Same here.

A.

From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-06 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 22:46                 ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaro Koskinen
  Cc: Pavel Machek, Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:27:17AM +0200, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> But I'm mounting it from userspace (using builtin initramfs inside
> zImage), with a poll loop that waits for a device to appear. Maybe if you
> do it from kernel you need to use root wait/delay etc. options?

yeah, rootwait should do it.

--
balbi

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaro Koskinen
  Cc: Pavel Machek, Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

@ 2015-01-06 22:52                   ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2015-01-06 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi
  Cc: Aaro Koskinen, Pavel Machek, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, khilman, ivo.g.dimitrov.75

* Felipe Balbi <balbi@ti.com> [150106 14:49]:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:27:17AM +0200, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> > But I'm mounting it from userspace (using builtin initramfs inside
> > zImage), with a poll loop that waits for a device to appear. Maybe if you
> > do it from kernel you need to use root wait/delay etc. options?
>
> yeah, rootwait should do it.

AFAIK you need to use rootwait and make USB into loadable modules.
Built in Ethernet won't work without the patch I posted earlier.

Regards,

Tony

From: Tony Lindgren @ 2015-01-06 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 22:56                   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi
  Cc: Aaro Koskinen, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue 2015-01-06 16:46:22, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:27:17AM +0200, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> > But I'm mounting it from userspace (using builtin initramfs inside
> > zImage), with a poll loop that waits for a device to appear. Maybe if you
> > do it from kernel you need to use root wait/delay etc. options?
>
> yeah, rootwait should do it.

No, rootwait does not solve it. Try it. Tested many times. (And yes,
you need to actually fool the rear cover sensor or close the phone.)
									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 22:58                 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaro Koskinen
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Wed 2015-01-07 00:27:17, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:08:05PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > On Tue 2015-01-06 22:57:30, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > USB networking works fine with 3.19-rc3 and also MMC card rootfs.
> >
> > Does nfsroot work for you? USB networking works as a module but not
> > build-in. [Patch is available for this one.]
> >
> > u-SD card seems to have similar problem. If I try it after boot, I can
> > access it ok, but using u-SD card for rootfs fails. If it works for
> > you, it would be interesting to know.
>
> I haven't tried nfsroot, but I've been using USB networking for ssh
> for a couple of years without issues. I have g_ether as module.
>
> Also I recently switched rootfs to u-SD card, and it (MMC) works fine
> as builtin.
>
> But I'm mounting it from userspace (using builtin initramfs inside
> zImage), with a poll loop that waits for a device to appear. Maybe if you
> do it from kernel you need to use root wait/delay etc. options?

Yes, it works if I mount it later. It fails when done directly using
root=, even with rootwait etc. Hard to believe, yes, but try it. You
can watch the results on console.

									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 23:04                     ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, Aaro Koskinen, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:56:14PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > But I'm mounting it from userspace (using builtin initramfs inside
> > > zImage), with a poll loop that waits for a device to appear. Maybe if you
> > > do it from kernel you need to use root wait/delay etc. options?
> >
> > yeah, rootwait should do it.
>
> No, rootwait does not solve it. Try it. Tested many times. (And yes,
> you need to actually fool the rear cover sensor or close the phone.)

yeah, just put a magnet or, if you have spare back covers, cut one so
that you "close" it, but still allow you to put the thing on a
development jig.

Also, if why doesn't rootwait work ? You never have a new mmc node or is
the mmc node changing names ?

--
balbi

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, Aaro Koskinen, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

@ 2015-01-06 23:13                       ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi
  Cc: Aaro Koskinen, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue 2015-01-06 17:04:15, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi,

> > > yeah, rootwait should do it.
> >
> > No, rootwait does not solve it. Try it. Tested many times. (And yes,
> > you need to actually fool the rear cover sensor or close the phone.)
>
> yeah, just put a magnet or, if you have spare back covers, cut one so
> that you "close" it, but still allow you to put the thing on a
> development jig.

Actually, it should be enough to kill a line from dts somewhere, no
need to hack hardware for this.

> Also, if why doesn't rootwait work ? You never have a new mmc node or is
> the mmc node changing names ?

IIRC node and name are ok, but the mount just fails. As I don't have
"development jig", I lack serial console and this kind of debugging is
not easy.

									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-06 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-06 23:29                         ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, Aaro Koskinen, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:13:41AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2015-01-06 17:04:15, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > No, rootwait does not solve it. Try it. Tested many times. (And yes,
> > > you need to actually fool the rear cover sensor or close the phone.)
> >
> > yeah, just put a magnet or, if you have spare back covers, cut one so
> > that you "close" it, but still allow you to put the thing on a
> > development jig.
>
> Actually, it should be enough to kill a line from dts somewhere, no
> need to hack hardware for this.

right

> > Also, if why doesn't rootwait work ? You never have a new mmc node or is
> > the mmc node changing names ?
>
> IIRC node and name are ok, but the mount just fails. As I don't have

really weird. Specially since it works when you mount afterwards.

> "development jig", I lack serial console and this kind of debugging is
> not easy.

see if this helps:
https://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Hacking#Debug_ports

--
balbi

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, Aaro Koskinen, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

From: Felipe Balbi @ 2015-01-06 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-07 19:43                   ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-07 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Felipe Balbi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:58:56PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Wed 2015-01-07 00:27:17, Aaro Koskinen wrote:

> > > Does nfsroot work for you? USB networking works as a module but not
> > > build-in. [Patch is available for this one.]
> > >
> > > u-SD card seems to have similar problem. If I try it after boot, I can
> > > access it ok, but using u-SD card for rootfs fails. If it works for
> > > you, it would be interesting to know.
> >
> > I haven't tried nfsroot, but I've been using USB networking for ssh
> > for a couple of years without issues. I have g_ether as module.
> >
> > Also I recently switched rootfs to u-SD card, and it (MMC) works fine
> > as builtin.
> >
> > But I'm mounting it from userspace (using builtin initramfs inside
> > zImage), with a poll loop that waits for a device to appear. Maybe if you
> > do it from kernel you need to use root wait/delay etc. options?
>
> Yes, it works if I mount it later. It fails when done directly using
> root=, even with rootwait etc. Hard to believe, yes, but try it. You
> can watch the results on console.

Well, I tried and it works. 3.19-rc3 mounting logs are below.

I used "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait". Note that the external MMC
is "mmcblk0" from kernel point of view.

Without serial console I guess you could maybe capture the failure
logs using mtdoops (assuming the kernel panics when it fails to mount
the rootfs). mtdoops was used even in the sales model kernel, so there
is MTD partition reserved already for it called "log".

I would also recommend using initramfs to do the mounting etc. Then you
could use the framebuffer console to observe and debug some obvious issues
(assuming the framebuffer works, it often regresses unfortunately...).

A.

[    2.145721] Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
[    2.194335] mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch, assuming write-enable
[    2.213775] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address aaaa
[    2.227905] mmcblk0: mmc0:aaaa SL32G 29.7 GiB
[    2.252227]  mmcblk0: p1 p2
[    2.381958] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
[    2.399627] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): couldn't mount as ext2 due to feature incompatibilities
[    2.420196] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
[    2.435485] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): write access will be enabled during recovery[    2.497375] mmc1: switch to bus width 2 failed
[    2.510620] mmc1: switch to bus width 1 failed
[    2.524658] mmc1: new high speed MMC card at address 0001
[    2.541229] mmcblk1: mmc1:0001 MMC32G 29.8 GiB
[    2.553710] mmcblk1boot0: mmc1:0001 MMC32G partition 1 512 KiB
[    2.569854] mmcblk1boot1: mmc1:0001 MMC32G partition 2 512 KiB
[    2.587646]  mmcblk1: p1 p2 p3
[    2.827606] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): recovery complete
[    2.848327] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[    2.863464] VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) readonly on device 179:2.

From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2015-01-07 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-18 12:01   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-18 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,
	tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen, ivo.g.dimitrov.75, peter.ujfalusi,
	jarkko.nikula

Hi!

If you have any idea about playback problems, help would be still
welcome. I'll have to do bisect, otherwise, and it will not be easy.

> In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
>
> In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
> quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
>
> Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
> settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
> could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
> even more noise.
>
> Any idea what could have caused it?

I tried audio recording this time.

In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
easy to miss.

In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.

Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?

Thanks,
									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-18 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-26 13:20     ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-26 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75, jarkko.nikula

On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If you have any idea about playback problems, help would be still
> welcome. I'll have to do bisect, otherwise, and it will not be easy.
>
>> In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
>>
>> In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
>> quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
>>
>> Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
>> settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
>> could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
>> even more noise.
>>
>> Any idea what could have caused it?
>
> I tried audio recording this time.
>
> In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
> mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
> easy to miss.
>
> In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.
>
> Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?

Same codec (tlv320aic3106) works fine on my am335x and omap-l138 boards.
BeagleBoard-xM also fine with twl4030 codec.

I don't have my n900 in hacking mode (it is still in use time-to-time) but
looking at the dts file: you might want to add ai3x-micbias-vg property to the
aic3x nodes to select the correct mic bias voltage. I can't recall what is
appropriate for n900, but 2.6.28-nokia sources might give you the answer.

--
Péter

From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-26 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-26 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If you have any idea about playback problems, help would be still
> welcome. I'll have to do bisect, otherwise, and it will not be easy.
>
>> In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
>>
>> In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
>> quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
>>
>> Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
>> settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
>> could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
>> even more noise.
>>
>> Any idea what could have caused it?
>
> I tried audio recording this time.
>
> In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
> mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
> easy to miss.
>
> In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.
>
> Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?

Same codec (tlv320aic3106) works fine on my am335x and omap-l138 boards.
BeagleBoard-xM also fine with twl4030 codec.

I don't have my n900 in hacking mode (it is still in use time-to-time) but
looking at the dts file: you might want to add ai3x-micbias-vg property to the
aic3x nodes to select the correct mic bias voltage. I can't recall what is
appropriate for n900, but 2.6.28-nokia sources might give you the answer.

--
P?ter

* Re: 3.19 on Nokia n900: audio quality awful
@ 2015-01-28 18:15       ` Jarkko Nikula
From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2015-01-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi, Pavel Machek, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On 01/26/2015 03:20 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
>> mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
>> easy to miss.
>>
>> In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.
>>
>> Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?
>
> Same codec (tlv320aic3106) works fine on my am335x and omap-l138 boards.
> BeagleBoard-xM also fine with twl4030 codec.
>
> I don't have my n900 in hacking mode (it is still in use time-to-time) but
> looking at the dts file: you might want to add ai3x-micbias-vg property to the
> aic3x nodes to select the correct mic bias voltage. I can't recall what is
> appropriate for n900, but 2.6.28-nokia sources might give you the answer.

No need to go that far. N900 has been supported in mainline since 2.6.39
or so. Part A of AIC34 (which is basically dual AIC33 in a same package)
drives 2 V for the digital microphone bias and part B 2.5 V for the headset.

Unfortunately I haven't had time recently to try what might have caused
that regression after 3.18.

--
Jarkko

From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2015-01-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-28 22:02       ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-28 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,
	tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen, ivo.g.dimitrov.75, jarkko.nikula

On Mon 2015-01-26 15:20:28, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > If you have any idea about playback problems, help would be still
> > welcome. I'll have to do bisect, otherwise, and it will not be easy.
> >
> >> In 3.18, sound is nice and clear.
> >>
> >> In 3.19, sound is unusable. It produces nasty tone when it should be
> >> quiet, and there's at least as much noise as is sound.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, list of mixers also changed (and there's cca 120
> >> settings), but a) it does not work with the old list and b) nothing I
> >> could figure out did make the sound usable. Some setting resulted in
> >> even more noise.
> >>
> >> Any idea what could have caused it?
> >
> > I tried audio recording this time.
> >
> > In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
> > mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
> > easy to miss.
> >
> > In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.
> >
> > Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?
>
> Same codec (tlv320aic3106) works fine on my am335x and omap-l138 boards.
> BeagleBoard-xM also fine with twl4030 codec.
>
> I don't have my n900 in hacking mode (it is still in use
> time-to-time) but

Actually, with nfsroot / loading kernel using NOLO, it is not
neccessary to break your n900. It is possible to boot complete
userspace without changing single bit of flash.

> looking at the dts file: you might want to add ai3x-micbias-vg property to the
> aic3x nodes to select the correct mic bias voltage. I can't recall what is
> appropriate for n900, but 2.6.28-nokia sources might give you the answer.

Ok, thanks, let me try...

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-28 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi
  Cc: ivo.g.dimitrov.75, khilman, tony, sre, aaro.koskinen,
	kernel list, sre, jarkko.nikula, pali.rohar, linux-omap,
	linux-arm-kernel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-28 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-28 22:41         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula
  Cc: Peter Ujfalusi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Wed 2015-01-28 20:15:46, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 03:20 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> > On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >> In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
> >> mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
> >> easy to miss.
> >>
> >> In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.
> >>
> >> Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?
> >
> > Same codec (tlv320aic3106) works fine on my am335x and omap-l138 boards.
> > BeagleBoard-xM also fine with twl4030 codec.
> >
> > I don't have my n900 in hacking mode (it is still in use time-to-time) but
> > looking at the dts file: you might want to add ai3x-micbias-vg property to the
> > aic3x nodes to select the correct mic bias voltage. I can't recall what is
> > appropriate for n900, but 2.6.28-nokia sources might give you the answer.
> >
> No need to go that far. N900 has been supported in mainline since 2.6.39
> or so. Part A of AIC34 (which is basically dual AIC33 in a same package)
> drives 2 V for the digital microphone bias and part B 2.5 V for the headset.

Let me try... Umm, no change here :-(

root@n900:/tmp# arecord delme
Recording WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
root@n900:/tmp# hexdump delme
0000000 4952 4646 987c 0000 4157 4556 6d66 2074
0000010 0010 0000 0001 0001 1f40 0000 1f40 0000
0000020 0001 0008 6164 6174 9858 0000 8080 8080
0000030 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080
*
0009880
root@n900:/tmp# aplay delme
Playing WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
root@n900:/tmp#

I did this:

I'm not sure which one is "main" microphone and which is headset, but
I guess 2V should be "close enough" to 2.5V to produce something
different from zeros..?

diff --git a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
index 48b0987..f18a5b0 100644
--- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
+++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
@@ -491,6 +491,8 @@
 		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
 		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
 		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
+
+		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
 	};

 	tlv320aic3x_aux: tlv320aic3x@19 {
@@ -502,6 +504,8 @@
 		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
 		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
 		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
+
+		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
 	};

 	tsl2563: tsl2563@29 {

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula
  Cc: ivo.g.dimitrov.75, khilman, tony, sre, aaro.koskinen,
	kernel list, sre, pali.rohar, linux-omap, linux-arm-kernel

On Wed 2015-01-28 20:15:46, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 03:20 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> > On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >> In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
> >> mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
> >> easy to miss.
> >>
> >> In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.
> >>
> >> Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?
> >
> > Same codec (tlv320aic3106) works fine on my am335x and omap-l138 boards.
> > BeagleBoard-xM also fine with twl4030 codec.
> >
> > I don't have my n900 in hacking mode (it is still in use time-to-time) but
> > looking at the dts file: you might want to add ai3x-micbias-vg property to the
> > aic3x nodes to select the correct mic bias voltage. I can't recall what is
> > appropriate for n900, but 2.6.28-nokia sources might give you the answer.
> >
> No need to go that far. N900 has been supported in mainline since 2.6.39
> or so. Part A of AIC34 (which is basically dual AIC33 in a same package)
> drives 2 V for the digital microphone bias and part B 2.5 V for the headset.

Let me try... Umm, no change here :-(

root@n900:/tmp# arecord delme
Recording WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
root@n900:/tmp# hexdump delme
0000000 4952 4646 987c 0000 4157 4556 6d66 2074
0000010 0010 0000 0001 0001 1f40 0000 1f40 0000
0000020 0001 0008 6164 6174 9858 0000 8080 8080
0000030 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080
*
0009880
root@n900:/tmp# aplay delme
Playing WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
root@n900:/tmp#

I did this:

I'm not sure which one is "main" microphone and which is headset, but
I guess 2V should be "close enough" to 2.5V to produce something
different from zeros..?

diff --git a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
index 48b0987..f18a5b0 100644
--- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
+++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
@@ -491,6 +491,8 @@
 		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
 		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
 		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
+
+		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
 	};

 	tlv320aic3x_aux: tlv320aic3x@19 {
@@ -502,6 +504,8 @@
 		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
 		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
 		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
+
+		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
 	};

 	tsl2563: tsl2563@29 {

> Unfortunately I haven't had time recently to try what might have caused
> that regression after 3.18.

Thanks,
									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed 2015-01-28 20:15:46, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 03:20 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> > On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >> In 2.6.28-nokia, it is neccessary to set "Input select" na "digital
> >> mic", then it works. Input select being in "playback" option makes it
> >> easy to miss.
> >>
> >> In 3.18 and 3.19-rc3, all I can record are zeros.
> >>
> >> Does playback/recording work for you on OMAP 3430-based machines?
> >
> > Same codec (tlv320aic3106) works fine on my am335x and omap-l138 boards.
> > BeagleBoard-xM also fine with twl4030 codec.
> >
> > I don't have my n900 in hacking mode (it is still in use time-to-time) but
> > looking at the dts file: you might want to add ai3x-micbias-vg property to the
> > aic3x nodes to select the correct mic bias voltage. I can't recall what is
> > appropriate for n900, but 2.6.28-nokia sources might give you the answer.
> >
> No need to go that far. N900 has been supported in mainline since 2.6.39
> or so. Part A of AIC34 (which is basically dual AIC33 in a same package)
> drives 2 V for the digital microphone bias and part B 2.5 V for the headset.

Let me try... Umm, no change here :-(

root at n900:/tmp# arecord delme
Recording WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
root at n900:/tmp# hexdump delme
0000000 4952 4646 987c 0000 4157 4556 6d66 2074
0000010 0010 0000 0001 0001 1f40 0000 1f40 0000
0000020 0001 0008 6164 6174 9858 0000 8080 8080
0000030 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080
*
0009880
root at n900:/tmp# aplay delme
Playing WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
root at n900:/tmp#

I did this:

I'm not sure which one is "main" microphone and which is headset, but
I guess 2V should be "close enough" to 2.5V to produce something
different from zeros..?

diff --git a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
index 48b0987..f18a5b0 100644
--- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
+++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
@@ -491,6 +491,8 @@
 		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
 		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
 		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
+
+		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
 	};

 	tlv320aic3x_aux: tlv320aic3x at 19 {
@@ -502,6 +504,8 @@
 		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
 		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
 		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
+
+		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
 	};

 	tsl2563: tsl2563 at 29 {

@ 2015-01-29  7:35           ` Jarkko Nikula
From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2015-01-29  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Peter Ujfalusi, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:41:44PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Wed 2015-01-28 20:15:46, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> > On 01/26/2015 03:20 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> > > On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > No need to go that far. N900 has been supported in mainline since 2.6.39
> > or so. Part A of AIC34 (which is basically dual AIC33 in a same package)
> > drives 2 V for the digital microphone bias and part B 2.5 V for the headset.
>
> Let me try... Umm, no change here :-(
>
> root@n900:/tmp# arecord delme
> Recording WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> ^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
> root@n900:/tmp# hexdump delme
> 0000000 4952 4646 987c 0000 4157 4556 6d66 2074
> 0000010 0010 0000 0001 0001 1f40 0000 1f40 0000
> 0000020 0001 0008 6164 6174 9858 0000 8080 8080
> 0000030 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080
> *
> 0009880
> root@n900:/tmp# aplay delme
> Playing WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> root@n900:/tmp#
>
> I did this:
>
> I'm not sure which one is "main" microphone and which is headset, but
> I guess 2V should be "close enough" to 2.5V to produce something
> different from zeros..?

Main or integrated is digital microphone which does AD conversion itself
and headset is analogue. If DMIC is without bias codec will sample plain
zeros from DMIC input but analogue input should always produce some random
LSB bits from codec's AD converter.

If codec produces zeros also from analogue input then I suppose codec
ADC is not powered up or similar. One way to hunt regression if
bisecting is not possible due reason or another is to dump and diff codec
registers from /sys/kernel/debug/regmap/ using both working commit and head.

> diff --git a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
> index 48b0987..f18a5b0 100644
> --- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
> +++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
> @@ -491,6 +491,8 @@
>  		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
>  		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
>  		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
> +
> +		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
>  	};
Looks ok for digital mic.

>  	tlv320aic3x_aux: tlv320aic3x@19 {
> @@ -502,6 +504,8 @@
>  		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
>  		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
>  		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
> +
> +		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
>  	};
This should be 2, i.e. 2.5 V according to
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/tlv320aic3x.txt. I think 2 V is
too low for some headset mics and that was the reason for 2.5 V.

--
Jarkko

From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2015-01-29  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:41:44PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Wed 2015-01-28 20:15:46, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> > On 01/26/2015 03:20 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> > > On 01/18/2015 02:01 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > No need to go that far. N900 has been supported in mainline since 2.6.39
> > or so. Part A of AIC34 (which is basically dual AIC33 in a same package)
> > drives 2 V for the digital microphone bias and part B 2.5 V for the headset.
>
> Let me try... Umm, no change here :-(
>
> root at n900:/tmp# arecord delme
> Recording WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> ^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
> root at n900:/tmp# hexdump delme
> 0000000 4952 4646 987c 0000 4157 4556 6d66 2074
> 0000010 0010 0000 0001 0001 1f40 0000 1f40 0000
> 0000020 0001 0008 6164 6174 9858 0000 8080 8080
> 0000030 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080
> *
> 0009880
> root at n900:/tmp# aplay delme
> Playing WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> root at n900:/tmp#
>
> I did this:
>
> I'm not sure which one is "main" microphone and which is headset, but
> I guess 2V should be "close enough" to 2.5V to produce something
> different from zeros..?

Main or integrated is digital microphone which does AD conversion itself
and headset is analogue. If DMIC is without bias codec will sample plain
zeros from DMIC input but analogue input should always produce some random
LSB bits from codec's AD converter.

If codec produces zeros also from analogue input then I suppose codec
ADC is not powered up or similar. One way to hunt regression if
bisecting is not possible due reason or another is to dump and diff codec
registers from /sys/kernel/debug/regmap/ using both working commit and head.

> diff --git a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
> index 48b0987..f18a5b0 100644
> --- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
> +++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
> @@ -491,6 +491,8 @@
>  		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
>  		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
>  		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
> +
> +		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
>  	};
Looks ok for digital mic.

@ 2015-01-29 11:19             ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-29 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula, Pavel Machek
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

On 01/29/2015 09:35 AM, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:41:44PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
>>> No need to go that far. N900 has been supported in mainline since 2.6.39
>>> or so. Part A of AIC34 (which is basically dual AIC33 in a same package)
>>> drives 2 V for the digital microphone bias and part B 2.5 V for the headset.
>>
>> Let me try... Umm, no change here :-(
>>
>> root@n900:/tmp# arecord delme
>> Recording WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>> ^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
>> root@n900:/tmp# hexdump delme
>> 0000000 4952 4646 987c 0000 4157 4556 6d66 2074
>> 0000010 0010 0000 0001 0001 1f40 0000 1f40 0000
>> 0000020 0001 0008 6164 6174 9858 0000 8080 8080
>> 0000030 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080 8080
>> *
>> 0009880
>> root@n900:/tmp# aplay delme
>> Playing WAVE 'delme' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>> root@n900:/tmp#
>>
>> I did this:
>>
>> I'm not sure which one is "main" microphone and which is headset, but
>> I guess 2V should be "close enough" to 2.5V to produce something
>> different from zeros..?
>>
> Main or integrated is digital microphone which does AD conversion itself
> and headset is analogue. If DMIC is without bias codec will sample plain
> zeros from DMIC input but analogue input should always produce some random
> LSB bits from codec's AD converter.
>
> If codec produces zeros also from analogue input then I suppose codec
> ADC is not powered up or similar. One way to hunt regression if
> bisecting is not possible due reason or another is to dump and diff codec
> registers from /sys/kernel/debug/regmap/ using both working commit and head.
>
>> diff --git a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
>> index 48b0987..f18a5b0 100644
>> --- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
>> +++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts
>> @@ -491,6 +491,8 @@
>>  		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
>>  		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
>>  		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
>> +
>> +		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
>>  	};
> Looks ok for digital mic.
>

>>  	tlv320aic3x_aux: tlv320aic3x@19 {
>> @@ -502,6 +504,8 @@
>>  		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
>>  		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
>>  		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
>> +
>> +		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
>>  	};
> This should be 2, i.e. 2.5 V according to
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/tlv320aic3x.txt. I think 2 V is
> too low for some headset mics and that was the reason for 2.5 V.

Can you also try this patch to correct the DAPM route for the rx51:

diff --git a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
index 04896d6252a2..7f299357c2d2 100644
--- a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
+++ b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
@@ -250,14 +250,14 @@ static const struct snd_soc_dapm_route audio_map[] = {
 	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "LLOUT"},
 	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "RLOUT"},

-	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "Mic Bias"},
-	{"Mic Bias", NULL, "DMic"},
+	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "DMic"},
+	{"DMic", NULL, "Mic Bias"},

 	{"b LINE2R", NULL, "MONO_LOUT"},
 	{"Earphone", NULL, "b HPLOUT"},

-	{"LINE1L", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
-	{"b Mic Bias", NULL, "HS Mic"}
+	{"LINE1L", NULL, "HS Mic"},
+	{"HS Mic", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
 };

 static const char * const spk_function[] = {"Off", "On"};

--
Péter

From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-29 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula, Pavel Machek
  Cc: pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-29 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-29 20:42               ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-29 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi
  Cc: Jarkko Nikula, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75

Hi!

> >> I did this:
> >>
> >> I'm not sure which one is "main" microphone and which is headset, but
> >> I guess 2V should be "close enough" to 2.5V to produce something
> >> different from zeros..?
> >>
> > Main or integrated is digital microphone which does AD conversion itself
> > and headset is analogue. If DMIC is without bias codec will sample plain
> > zeros from DMIC input but analogue input should always produce some random
> > LSB bits from codec's AD converter.
> >
> > If codec produces zeros also from analogue input then I suppose codec
> > ADC is not powered up or similar. One way to hunt regression if
> > bisecting is not possible due reason or another is to dump and diff codec
> > registers from /sys/kernel/debug/regmap/ using both working commit
> >and head.

I tried 2.6.28... where recording was, but it does not support
regmap. Then I tried 3.14, but could not get recording to work there.

> >>  	tlv320aic3x_aux: tlv320aic3x@19 {
> >> @@ -502,6 +504,8 @@
> >>  		DRVDD-supply = <&vmmc2>;
> >>  		IOVDD-supply = <&vio>;
> >>  		DVDD-supply = <&vio>;
> >> +
> >> +		ai3x-micbias-vg = <1>;
> >>  	};
> > This should be 2, i.e. 2.5 V according to
> > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/tlv320aic3x.txt. I think 2 V is
> > too low for some headset mics and that was the reason for 2.5 V.

Ok, tried that, but no change.

> Can you also try this patch to correct the DAPM route for the rx51:

Yes, with the patch below (and dts updates I did) recording works.

Another interesting note is that audio quality is not that horrible
when playing 8 kHz, mono signal... it is mostly what I'd
expect. Playing 44.1kHz, stereo mp3 .. is not good.

Tested-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>

Thanks,
									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-29 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

@ 2015-01-30  8:16                 ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2015-01-30  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Peter Ujfalusi, Jarkko Nikula, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 2965 bytes --]

On Thursday 29 January 2015 21:42:18 Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Main or integrated is digital microphone which does AD
> > > conversion itself and headset is analogue. If DMIC is
> > > without bias codec will sample plain zeros from DMIC
> > > input but analogue input should always produce some
> > > random LSB bits from codec's AD converter.
> > >
> > > If codec produces zeros also from analogue input then I
> > > suppose codec ADC is not powered up or similar. One way
> > > to hunt regression if bisecting is not possible due
> > > reason or another is to dump and diff codec registers
> > > from /sys/kernel/debug/regmap/ using both working commit
> > >
> > >and head.
>
> I tried 2.6.28... where recording was, but it does not support
> regmap. Then I tried 3.14, but could not get recording to work
> there.

> > > This should be 2, i.e. 2.5 V according to
> > > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/tlv320aic3x.txt. I
> > > think 2 V is too low for some headset mics and that was
> > > the reason for 2.5 V.
>
> Ok, tried that, but no change.
>
> > Can you also try this patch to correct the DAPM route for the
rx51:
> Yes, with the patch below (and dts updates I did) recording
> works.
>
> Another interesting note is that audio quality is not that
> horrible when playing 8 kHz, mono signal... it is mostly what
> I'd expect. Playing 44.1kHz, stereo mp3 .. is not good.
>
> Tested-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
>
> Thanks,
> 									Pavel
>
> > diff --git a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > index 04896d6252a2..7f299357c2d2 100644
> > --- a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > +++ b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > @@ -250,14 +250,14 @@ static const struct snd_soc_dapm_route
> > audio_map[] = {
> >
> >  	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "LLOUT"},
> >  	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "RLOUT"},
> >
> > -	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "Mic Bias"},
> > -	{"Mic Bias", NULL, "DMic"},
> > +	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "DMic"},
> > +	{"DMic", NULL, "Mic Bias"},
> >
> >  	{"b LINE2R", NULL, "MONO_LOUT"},
> >  	{"Earphone", NULL, "b HPLOUT"},
> >
> > -	{"LINE1L", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
> > -	{"b Mic Bias", NULL, "HS Mic"}
> > +	{"LINE1L", NULL, "HS Mic"},
> > +	{"HS Mic", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
> >
> >  };
> >
> >  static const char * const spk_function[] = {"Off", "On"};

Can you try DT and non-DT boot of 3.19? If there is difference?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

From: Pali Rohár @ 2015-01-30  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thursday 29 January 2015 21:42:18 Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Main or integrated is digital microphone which does AD
> > > conversion itself and headset is analogue. If DMIC is
> > > without bias codec will sample plain zeros from DMIC
> > > input but analogue input should always produce some
> > > random LSB bits from codec's AD converter.
> > >
> > > If codec produces zeros also from analogue input then I
> > > suppose codec ADC is not powered up or similar. One way
> > > to hunt regression if bisecting is not possible due
> > > reason or another is to dump and diff codec registers
> > > from /sys/kernel/debug/regmap/ using both working commit
> > >
> > >and head.
>
> I tried 2.6.28... where recording was, but it does not support
> regmap. Then I tried 3.14, but could not get recording to work
> there.

> > > This should be 2, i.e. 2.5 V according to
> > > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/tlv320aic3x.txt. I
> > > think 2 V is too low for some headset mics and that was
> > > the reason for 2.5 V.
>
> Ok, tried that, but no change.
>
> > Can you also try this patch to correct the DAPM route for the
rx51:
> Yes, with the patch below (and dts updates I did) recording
> works.
>
> Another interesting note is that audio quality is not that
> horrible when playing 8 kHz, mono signal... it is mostly what
> I'd expect. Playing 44.1kHz, stereo mp3 .. is not good.
>
> Tested-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
>
> Thanks,
> 									Pavel
>
> > diff --git a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > index 04896d6252a2..7f299357c2d2 100644
> > --- a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > +++ b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > @@ -250,14 +250,14 @@ static const struct snd_soc_dapm_route
> > audio_map[] = {
> >
> >  	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "LLOUT"},
> >  	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "RLOUT"},
> >
> > -	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "Mic Bias"},
> > -	{"Mic Bias", NULL, "DMic"},
> > +	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "DMic"},
> > +	{"DMic", NULL, "Mic Bias"},
> >
> >  	{"b LINE2R", NULL, "MONO_LOUT"},
> >  	{"Earphone", NULL, "b HPLOUT"},
> >
> > -	{"LINE1L", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
> > -	{"b Mic Bias", NULL, "HS Mic"}
> > +	{"LINE1L", NULL, "HS Mic"},
> > +	{"HS Mic", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
> >
> >  };
> >
> >  static const char * const spk_function[] = {"Off", "On"};

Can you try DT and non-DT boot of 3.19? If there is difference?

--
Pali Roh?r
pali.rohar at gmail.com
* Re: 3.19 on Nokia n900: audio quality awful
@ 2015-01-30  8:52                   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-30  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár
  Cc: Peter Ujfalusi, Jarkko Nikula, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75

Hi!

> > > diff --git a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > > index 04896d6252a2..7f299357c2d2 100644
> > > --- a/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > > +++ b/sound/soc/omap/rx51.c
> > > @@ -250,14 +250,14 @@ static const struct snd_soc_dapm_route
> > > audio_map[] = {
> > >
> > >  	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "LLOUT"},
> > >  	{"FM Transmitter", NULL, "RLOUT"},
> > >
> > > -	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "Mic Bias"},
> > > -	{"Mic Bias", NULL, "DMic"},
> > > +	{"DMic Rate 64", NULL, "DMic"},
> > > +	{"DMic", NULL, "Mic Bias"},
> > >
> > >  	{"b LINE2R", NULL, "MONO_LOUT"},
> > >  	{"Earphone", NULL, "b HPLOUT"},
> > >
> > > -	{"LINE1L", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
> > > -	{"b Mic Bias", NULL, "HS Mic"}
> > > +	{"LINE1L", NULL, "HS Mic"},
> > > +	{"HS Mic", NULL, "b Mic Bias"},
> > >
> > >  };
> > >
> > >  static const char * const spk_function[] = {"Off", "On"};
>
> Can you try DT and non-DT boot of 3.19? If there is difference?

Audio recording now works for me. No, I could not get non-DT boot of
3.19 to work :-(.

									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-30  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

@ 2015-01-30 10:26               ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-30 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi
  Cc: Jarkko Nikula, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75, lars, misael.lopez

Hi!

I looked around the diff between 3.18 and 3.19, reverted these, and
audio quality is back to reasonable level.

commit 68f438378cde79e29f71c7e043b10d76001d8892
Author: Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@metafoo.de>
Date:   Wed Nov 26 20:57:57 2014 +0100

    ASoC: tlv320aic3x: Cleanup manual bias level transitions

    Since the ASoC core now takes care of setting the bias level to
        SND_SOC_BIAS_OFF when removing the CODEC there is no need to
        do it manually
	    anymore.

    Signed-off-by: Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@metafoo.de>
        Signed-off-by: Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>

commit 68d6626925c3529790a2055d41578415fa98495e
Author: Misael Lopez Cruz <misael.lopez@ti.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 11 10:59:01 2014 +0200

    ASoC: tlv320aic3x: Add output driver pop reduction controls

    Output driver has two parameters that can be configured to reduce
        pop noise: power-on delay and ramp-up step time. Two new
        kcontrols
	    have been added to set these parameters.

    Signed-off-by: Misael Lopez Cruz <misael.lopez@ti.com>
        Signed-off-by: Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@ti.com>
	    Signed-off-by: Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>

commit 368494093354ac613a80c2e1d77602aa12473cf0
Author: Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@ti.com>
Date:   Mon Nov 10 12:27:33 2014 +0200

    ASoC: tlv320aic3x: Add TDM support

    TDM support is achieved using DSP transfer mode and setting a
        programmable offset which specifies where data begins with
	    respect to the frame sync.

    It requires 256-clock mode if CODEC is master (not currently
        supported in the driver). No additional dependency if CODEC
	    is slave.

Author: Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@ti.com>
Date:   Mon Nov 10 12:27:33 2014 +0200

@ 2015-01-30 10:37                 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-30 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi
  Cc: Jarkko Nikula, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, khilman, aaro.koskinen,
	ivo.g.dimitrov.75, lars, misael.lopez

Hi!

> I looked around the diff between 3.18 and 3.19, reverted these, and
> audio quality is back to reasonable level.

Actually, reverting 368494093354ac613a80c2e1d77602aa12473cf0 seems
enough.

Any quick patches to test? Or should we revert so that 3.19-final
works ok?

Thanks,
									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2015-01-30 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-30 12:40                   ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Jarkko Nikula, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On 01/30/2015 12:37 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I looked around the diff between 3.18 and 3.19, reverted these, and
>> audio quality is back to reasonable level.
>
> Actually, reverting 368494093354ac613a80c2e1d77602aa12473cf0 seems
> enough.
>
> Any quick patches to test? Or should we revert so that 3.19-final
> works ok?

I'll send the fix in a minute, thanks for finding it ;)

--
Péter

From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Jarkko Nikula, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2015-01-30 12:43                     ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2015-01-30 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Jarkko Nikula, pali.rohar, sre, sre, kernel list,

On 01/30/2015 02:40 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> On 01/30/2015 12:37 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> I looked around the diff between 3.18 and 3.19, reverted these, and
>>> audio quality is back to reasonable level.
>>
>> Actually, reverting 368494093354ac613a80c2e1d77602aa12473cf0 seems
>> enough.
>>
>> Any quick patches to test? Or should we revert so that 3.19-final
>> works ok?
>
> I'll send the fix in a minute, thanks for finding it ;)

And here it is:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2015-January/087228.html

--
Péter