On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 05:24:42PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote: > How does btrfs raid5 handle mixed-size disks? The docs weren't > terribly clear on this. > > Suppose I have 4x3TB and 1x1TB disks. Using conventional lvm+mdadm in > raid5 mode I'd expect to be able to fit about 10TB of space on those > (2TB striped across 4 disks plus 1TB striped across 5 disks after > partitioning). How much would btrfs be able to store in the same > configuration? I did see something about being able to use fixed-size > stripes, and I'm not sure if this helps. If it does, are there any > penalties, especially with future expansion of the array? > > With raid1 mode btrfrs is reasonably smart about mixed disk sizes, and > you usually end up with half of the total space available. http://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/ may be useful here. Hugo. -- Hugo Mills | "It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began hugo@... carfax.org.uk | to take hold" http://carfax.org.uk/ | Hunter S Tolkien PGP: 65E74AC0 | Fear and Loathing in Barad Dûr