On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:15:29AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote: > Explicitly adding the emails of other people involved with that commit > and the original oom thread to make sure people are aware, since this > didn't get any response. > > Commit cc87317726f8 fixed some behavior, but also seems to have turned > an oom situation into a complete hang. So presumably we shouldn't loop > *forever*. Hmm? It seems we are between a rock and a hard place here, as we reverted specifically to that endless looping on request of filesystem people. They said[1] they rely on these allocations never returning NULL, or they might fail inside a transactions and corrupt on-disk data. Huang, against which kernels did you first run this test on this exact setup? Is there a chance you could try to run a kernel without/before 9879de7373fc? I want to make sure I'm not missing something, but all versions preceding this commit should also have the same hang. There should only be a tiny window between 9879de7373fc and cc87317726f8 -- v3.19 -- where these allocations are allowed to fail. [1] https://www.marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=142450545009301&w=3