* [Qemu-devel] Question about scsi emulation
@ 2015-03-18 21:16 Yaoli Zheng
From: Yaoli Zheng @ 2015-03-18 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: xen-devel

We have problem using qemu emulated scsi driver(the old lsi). Wonder if any of other device model we can try for emulating scsi, and how we can get and config it in Xen? Having been told virtio-scsi is alternative one, but have no idea how to get it work in Xen.

Thanks!

Yaoli Zheng

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about scsi emulation
@ 2015-03-23 12:48 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-03-23 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaoli Zheng; +Cc: qemu-devel, xen-devel

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 02:16:47PM -0700, Yaoli Zheng wrote:
> We have problem using qemu emulated scsi driver(the old lsi). Wonder if any of other device model we can try for emulating scsi, and how we can get and config it in Xen? Having been told virtio-scsi is alternative one, but have no idea how to get it work in Xen.

The MegaSAS HBA might be another option.  Not sure whether MegaSAS or
virtio-scsi are supported under Xen though.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 473 bytes --]

From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-03-23 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaoli Zheng; +Cc: qemu-devel, xen-devel

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 02:16:47PM -0700, Yaoli Zheng wrote:
> We have problem using qemu emulated scsi driver(the old lsi). Wonder if any of other device model we can try for emulating scsi, and how we can get and config it in Xen? Having been told virtio-scsi is alternative one, but have no idea how to get it work in Xen.

The MegaSAS HBA might be another option.  Not sure whether MegaSAS or
virtio-scsi are supported under Xen though.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 473 bytes --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [Xen-devel]  Question about scsi emulation
@ 2015-03-23 18:17   ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2015-03-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: Yaoli Zheng, qemu-devel, xen-devel

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 02:16:47PM -0700, Yaoli Zheng wrote:
> > We have problem using qemu emulated scsi driver(the old lsi). Wonder if any of other device model we can try for emulating scsi, and how we can get and config it in Xen? Having been told virtio-scsi is alternative one, but have no idea how to get it work in Xen.
>
> The MegaSAS HBA might be another option.  Not sure whether MegaSAS or
> virtio-scsi are supported under Xen though.

Making MegaSAS HBA work on Xen should be easy.

Rather than virtio-scsi I would consider the new Xen pvscsi
frontend/backend drivers, now upstream in Linux
(drivers/scsi/xen-scsifront.c and drivers/xen/xen-scsiback.c). Usually
Xen PV drivers perform much better than virtio devices on Xen.

That said, probably most things would be better than the old lsi.

From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2015-03-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: Yaoli Zheng, qemu-devel, xen-devel

@ 2015-03-24  0:20     ` Yaoli Zheng
From: Yaoli Zheng @ 2015-03-24  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, xen-devel

Thank you for the advice!
It will be grateful if someone can provide any guide how to config  MegaSAS HBA or how to use xen pvscsi in XEN.
There seems no option in XEN for these two driver emulation and no document found online.

Thanks!

@ 2015-03-24  9:56         ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2015-03-24  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaoli Zheng, Stefano Stabellini, Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, xen-devel

On 03/24/2015 01:20 AM, Yaoli Zheng wrote:
> Thank you for the advice!
> It will be grateful if someone can provide any guide how to config  MegaSAS HBA or how to use xen pvscsi in XEN.
> There seems no option in XEN for these two driver emulation and no document found online.

The pvscsi driver is rather new in the Linux kernel. Support for pvscsi
in Xen tools (xl) is just being worked on:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-03/msg00030.html

Juergen

From: Juergen Gross @ 2015-03-24  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaoli Zheng, Stefano Stabellini, Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, xen-devel

On 03/24/2015 01:20 AM, Yaoli Zheng wrote:
> Thank you for the advice!
> It will be grateful if someone can provide any guide how to config  MegaSAS HBA or how to use xen pvscsi in XEN.
> There seems no option in XEN for these two driver emulation and no document found online.

The pvscsi driver is rather new in the Linux kernel. Support for pvscsi
in Xen tools (xl) is just being worked on:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-03/msg00030.html

Juergen

> Thanks!

  (?)
  (?)
@ 2015-03-24 17:00         ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2015-03-24 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, xen-devel, Yaoli Zheng, qemu-devel, Stefano Stabellini

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 03/24/2015 01:20 AM, Yaoli Zheng wrote:
> > Thank you for the advice!
> > It will be grateful if someone can provide any guide how to config  MegaSAS
> > HBA or how to use xen pvscsi in XEN.
> > There seems no option in XEN for these two driver emulation and no document
> > found online.
>
> The pvscsi driver is rather new in the Linux kernel. Support for pvscsi
> in Xen tools (xl) is just being worked on:
>
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-03/msg00030.html

Regarding MegaSAS, it should be just a matter of passing the right
command line arguments to QEMU so that it will emulate it, same as for
QEMU without Xen. You can use device_model_args in the VM config file to
pass custom command line arguments from xl to QEMU.

From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2015-03-24 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, xen-devel, Yaoli Zheng, qemu-devel, Stefano Stabellini