On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 05:51:11AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote: > On 03/27/2015 01:09 AM, Wolfram Sang wrote: > > > >>just to give you an update: I do have some code, but it is a bit messy, > >>and it doesn't work well for ds2482 (the chip behind it still hangs up > >>if I access it in parallel through i2c-dev). On top of that, it causes > >>pretty significant slow-downs when accessing other devices on the same > >>bus at the same time. Not surprising, I guess, since it expands the scope > >>of the bus lock significantly. > > > >Just to get a better idea: Did you try taking the adapter_lock before > >the two SMBus command which needed to be concatenated (and use > >smbus_xfer directly)? > > > I did. I didn't use smbus_xfer directly, though, but introduced lockless > versions of the various smbus commands, and kept using those. And then the chip still hangs? Or was that the performance penalty here?