From: NeilBrown <neilb@suse.de>
To: Mike <mboulter@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Recovery of RAID 6 after three rapid disk events (disks are still working)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 09:33:19 +1000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 18:28:55 -0500 Mike <mboulter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> mdadm 3.2.5, 14 disk RAID 6
>
> Had a drive failure Friday.  Two more today in rapid succession.  All
> drives seem fully operational.
>
> This is roughly 40TB array, I could use your help please to rescue the
> array.
>
> All members are on partition 2 of each physical disk.
>
> # mdadm --assemble --scan

Add "--force" to that line, and it will work.

In this context, "--force" means "yes, I know that some devices are a bit out
of date and that that if there was a write happening while one of the devices
appeared to fail then there could be some corruption of a few blocks in the
array, but I want all the rest of the data and I promise to be careful and I
won't assume that everything is perfect and I won't blame you if a few files
are lost - just do what you can.  Please."

NeilBrown