* multi-threaded raid5
@ 2015-03-31 17:17 stkoupr
From: stkoupr @ 2015-03-31 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,

We are testing write performance of md raid5 with SSD array and we are
hitting limit which I understand is caused by writes being handled in
single thread (md0_raid5 process is eating 100% of 1 CPU core when the
test is running). I understood that there is some work in progress which
should make write handling multi-threaded. I'd like to ask about the
status of this work, is it still in progress or planned?

Regards,
Prema

* Re: multi-threaded raid5
@ 2015-04-07  1:11 ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2015-04-07  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stkoupr; +Cc: linux-raid

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:17:34 +0200 stkoupr <p.kouril@cra.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are testing write performance of md raid5 with SSD array and we are
> hitting limit which I understand is caused by writes being handled in
> single thread (md0_raid5 process is eating 100% of 1 CPU core when the
> test is running). I understood that there is some work in progress which
> should make write handling multi-threaded. I'd like to ask about the
> status of this work, is it still in progress or planned?
>
> Regards,
> Prema

See /sys/block/mdXXX/md/group_thread_cnt

Set it to a bigger number, get more threads.

Requires 3.12 or later.

NeilBrown

* Re: multi-threaded raid5
@ 2015-04-07  4:34   ` Thomas Fjellstrom
From: Thomas Fjellstrom @ 2015-04-07  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NeilBrown, linux-raid

On Tue 07 Apr 2015 11:11:57 AM NeilBrown wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:17:34 +0200 stkoupr <p.kouril@cra.cz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are testing write performance of md raid5 with SSD array and we are
> > hitting limit which I understand is caused by writes being handled in
> > single thread (md0_raid5 process is eating 100% of 1 CPU core when the
> > test is running). I understood that there is some work in progress which
> > should make write handling multi-threaded. I'd like to ask about the
> > status of this work, is it still in progress or planned?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Prema
> > --
>
> See /sys/block/mdXXX/md/group_thread_cnt
>
> Set it to a bigger number, get more threads.
>
> Requires 3.12 or later.

What does it mean when that property is set to 0?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@fjellstrom.ca